Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the voting age be raised?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Its not a wind up, i have seen so many Uni kids change their mind because they thought we needed change, like i said do they even remember the last labour government and the financial mess that has taken years to clear up???

A lot of kids are paranoid because of drugs they have been smoking, voting is a responsible thing, perhaps we could drink and drug test before entering the polling station................................................now there's my joke!!...................Hmmmmmmmmmmm ???
:ffsparr:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Agreed. I think a decent working definition of "thick" is "anyone who didn't vote for the same party as me". After all, if they were smart, they'd make the same decisions as me, wouldn't they?

While on this subject, my cleaner told me yesterday that no matter how hard she'd tried to convince her 30-year old daughter that she shouldn't vote Labour because they were the Party that would tax working class people more in order to give tax breaks to the rich. "I'm sad that I've raised such a stupid child", she said.

How is it possible to get to 50-something and have such a fundamentally incorrect view of the Parties' policies?

My (Daily Mail reading mate) voted for Brexit to stop ILLEGAL immigrants coming here in the back of lorries.

Perhaps a voting test should be sat to obtain a voting license (Valid until you're 70 but then retaken due to possibility of short-sightedness).

D

Deleted member 2719

This is a very large helping of sour grapes, as I was told after the EU referendum, suck it up.

No not at all, yes i was gutted that the country has not got a strong government to enter Brexit.

However i left it a few hours to calm down take a reality check and look at it from a different prospective.

If a man was influencing a 13 year old, you would think of that as grooming and inappropriate, as a 18 year old in the whole picture that is life in politics you are probably only about that age, like i said it all comes down to life experience and the country could suffer because the kids are rebelling because so many remoaners have told them that the oldies and f*cked up their life's.

That's just how i see, thank god we have some wise old jocks still!!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Its not a wind up, i have seen so many Uni kids change their mind because they thought we needed change, like i said do they even remember the last labour government and the financial mess that has taken years to clear up???

A lot of kids are paranoid because of drugs they have been smoking, voting is a responsible thing, perhaps we could drink and drug test before entering the polling station................................................now there's my joke!!...................Hmmmmmmmmmmm ???

IT sounds as if you think people should not be allowed to vote if there is a danger they might disagree with you. That would be akin to me saying we shouldn't let Daily Mail readers vote.

It's their future which is at stake, much more than mine as a 63 year old.

D

Deleted member 2719

IT sounds as if you think people should not be allowed to vote if there is a danger they might disagree with you. That would be akin to me saying we shouldn't let Daily Mail readers vote.

It's their future which is at stake, much more than mine as a 63 year old.

Not at all have you been on the whacky???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
rod1.jpg

or

Idiot-610px.jpg

I think we need a poll

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
My (Daily Mail reading mate) voted for Brexit to stop ILLEGAL immigrants coming here in the back of lorries.

Perhaps a voting test should be sat to obtain a voting license (Valid until you're 70 but then retaken due to possibility of short-sightedness).

Likewise the lady (60) who sits next to me at work, based on reading The Mail also.

Her argument totally crumbled under any questions, almost as if she needed the paper to tell her how to respond.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
How about weighting votes based on remaining life expectancy?

This thread sounds like sour grapes. I think it's great that the youth are getting more engaged in politics, a shame it took Brexit vote to do it.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
I always thought that the 'No representation without taxation' slogan deserves merit
BUT
If the government is willing to charge students £9000 + a year then I think they should get a vote.I voted tory and my daughter voted labour.She has a debt of £40000 from 4 years at uni.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
No not at all, yes i was gutted that the country has not got a strong government to enter Brexit.

However i left it a few hours to calm down take a reality check and look at it from a different prospective.

If a man was influencing a 13 year old, you would think of that as grooming and inappropriate, as a 18 year old in the whole picture that is life in politics you are probably only about that age, like i said it all comes down to life experience and the country could suffer because the kids are rebelling because so many remoaners have told them that the oldies and f*cked up their life's.

That's just how i see, thank god we have some wise old jocks still!!

If the yoof vote had gone to the Tories, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
After the referendum, some remoaners accused the leavers of being thick, racist , or just northern,they were roundly abused for being bad losers etc, what makes you any different. I vote Labour, cos I don't earn anything like enough to vote Tory, and I haven't inherited money, and, I'm not naive enough to think the Conservatives have people like me's best interests at heart.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I remember always being aware of politics from an early age, I had a memory of being in hospital during an election as a child and bugging the nurses all night for the election results.

I ended up doing a degree and masters in Politics and I think at 18 I was more politically aware than the vast majority of people in this country.

So, It has nothing to do with age really.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Should it be 16

No it bloody shouldn't. My step daughter is a few weeks off 16 and we were discussing the election the other day. Despite doing Media Studies which includes a bit of politics she had little idea of policies or consequences. We discussed immigration and she thinks anyone from anywhere should come here unhindered and not checked. I explained that could mean her never getting a job or a house and her reply was that she didn't mind because she could live with us !!!!! Her views are driven by false news on social media. She doesn't have the life knowledge to be able to vote intelligently.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd also ban people over 50. The world is riddled with tired and old ways of thinking and doing things; this would help pave the way for fresh thought.

Oi !!!! That means this could have been my last election ! Maybe I will claim that dinner from you because I may need it in my old age :wink:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
No it bloody shouldn't. My step daughter is a few weeks off 16 and we were discussing the election the other day. Despite doing Media Studies which includes a bit of politics she had little idea of policies or consequences. We discussed immigration and she thinks anyone from anywhere should come here unhindered and not checked. I explained that could mean her never getting a job or a house and her reply was that she didn't mind because she could live with us !!!!! Her views are driven by false news on social media. She doesn't have the life knowledge to be able to vote intelligently.

Perhaps she's just thick, a lot of kids aren't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here