Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the voting age be raised?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Voting age should be 16 old enough to have sex with a MP but not old enough to vote for one

Upper voting age ie not eligible to vote on issues that will not come into affect for a further 10 years should be 70 upwards

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Been there, done it, some years ago.

And there's the issue with all you have written. You have no first hand knowledge of doing these things for yourself, recently. You have experience of advising, patronising and money lending. It's not remotely the same thing.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I know little about economics but in real terms what is it that the tories are doing so right? You can band about all these figures all you want but all through this tory period of austerity and lax tax for corporations many many peoples economic situations HAVE got worse, that is undeniable. Surely the model in Scandinavian countries should be followed, more investment in social structures which have been proven to yield success both in economic and in real terms (I have lived in Sweden and trust me, life is better there).
(btw, not an attack at you, just frustrating to see people talking about all these numbers as if they are all that should matter, rather than quality of life etc)

I cant disagree with you, but we dont actually live in a real country of Austerity like Greece, many public service budgets have increased. Though I agree, wage deflation has made it tougher for us Joe Bloggs who dont see much of the benefits of a growing economy

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
As for comparisons, of course you can make them because one of the clichéd comebacks is that if we raise CT companies will go abroad. If so, where will they go that is cheaper than 26p

ireland - 12.5p

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If society has decided that at 16 you can leave school and work in and participate in society why should you not be able to vote? Either you are old enough to fully participate or not. This halfway house is just stupid.

the logical conclusion would be to standardise on 18. we're not about to let 16yo drink and we already insist 16-17yo either work or stay in education. but we want to allow them to work and sexual consent isnt something we can sensibly increase. so maybe a half way house is not so stupid?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Anyone that demands a free shirt from their football club should definitely be banned. Bloody greedy Tories

With the labour Party getting the kids vote and clearly changing the political map.

Do you feel that at 18 years old have any experience in life to vote in politics?

A lot of these voters could just have been 11 years old when Labour were in power before, should they be allowed to vote???

I was gullible at 18 years old if someone promises you the earth, you believe it, you don't understand how they get the earth to you and probably don't care.

This is not meant to be an attack at the youth but you guys have a long time on this planet and in life you will be learning a lot.

Sounds harsh..................but fair.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
With the labour Party getting the kids vote and clearly changing the political map.

Do you feel that at 18 years old have any experience in life to vote in politics?

A lot of these voters could just have been 11 years old when Labour were in power before, should they be allowed to vote???

I was gullible at 18 years old if someone promises you the earth, you believe it, you don't understand how they get the earth to you and probably don't care.

This is not meant to be an attack at the youth but you guys have a long time on this planet and in life you will be learning a lot.

Sounds harsh..................but fair.

Until you have left school/University found a job you have no idea of the real world you are about to enter,suggest 21 is ideal,the rush of youngsters voting to receive free schooling made a mockery of the recent election watch Labours next move to buy votes,free video games and cinema tickets and perhaps cheap Premiership tickets,whatever next?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Until you have left school/University found a job you have no idea of the real world you are about to enter,suggest 21 is ideal,the rush of youngsters voting to receive free schooling made a mockery of the recent election watch Labours next move to buy votes,free video games and cinema tickets and perhaps cheap Premiership tickets,whatever next?
Those that whinge on endlessly about the jolly rotters that might or might not have taken a birthday card at a football ground or people that claim familly camping 100 miles away or so might by some miracle sequence of events just might have been caught up in the shoreham air crash and have the urge to publicly share such bizarre thoughts on line....

Not sure where this inspiration has come from but if there were such people then they most definitely have no idea of the real world. They should also be banned from voting.

The list grows.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here