Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Party

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What a complete waste of time this party are with 1 MP on which to waste your vote, as many do in Brighton It is a pity that it cannot be that only 3 parties that are accepted to contest 1 seat. It obviously wouldnt be allowed or voted in but it would mean that parties would be more concious of which seats they contested.

That is more tosh than the most toshiest political comment made in Toshland.

Lucas won 52% of the vote. Many of whom are not remotely Green. Why was that ?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
What a complete waste of time this party are with 1 MP on which to waste your vote, as many do in Brighton It is a pity that it cannot be that only 3 parties that are accepted to contest 1 seat. It obviously wouldnt be allowed or voted in but it would mean that parties would be more concious of which seats they contested.

That would be something called democracy dear chap.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Utter nonsense.

If you limit it by party then how would you decide which parties?

As for a wasted voted. The idea that because they only have one MP and therefore it's a wasted vote really p1sses me off. I voted for Caroline Lucas because I think she is a good constituency MP.

The rise of "other" has seen important issues brought to the fore in politics. For example: UKIP. I may not agree with their view, but discussions around the EU, migration and also the disenfranchisement of working class voters are important issues that had been ignored and UKIP raised them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That would be something called democracy dear chap.

That is why I said it would never and could never happen Caroline Lucas may be a good MP for Brighton residents but on a national scale is a waste of space. Is it Germany where you vote for the party and the party then place the MP in position according to the number of seats that the party won. ie 350 seats won 350 MP s appointed.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
That is why I said it would never and could never happen Caroline Lucas may be a good MP for Brighton residents but on a national scale is a waste of space. Is it Germany where you vote for the party and the party then place the MP in position according to the number of seats that the party won. ie 350 seats won 350 MP s appointed.

So you presumably support proportional representation?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

I do, the Tories have a back bencheer bill proposed at the moment, it will make the London and Mayoral elections first past the post, its a backward move and I hope the oposition apoose it. The Electoral Reform Bill 2016, not sure if the election stopped this bill, but heard reference to it on the radio since the election.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That is not exactly Germanys way is it? I thought that if there were 6 available seats in Berlin then the winning party just named 6 MPs but if say Bonn had 3 there would be 3 chosen nothing to do with how many voted for each , so not truly proprtional representation as we take it to mean.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

So there should only be the two main parties in every constituency? The current and the opposition?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That is not exactly Germanys way is it? I thought that if there were 6 available seats in Berlin then the winning party just named 6 MPs but if say Bonn had 3 there would be 3 chosen nothing to do with how many voted for each , so not truly proprtional representation as we take it to mean.

That sounds dangerous. Means party central dictate only those that fit their ideals get to govern. Removes any individualism.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

Apologies BG, I was taking the piss. It was uncalled for.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That sounds dangerous. Means party central dictate only those that fit their ideals get to govern. Removes any individualism.

yep. see Neil Hamilton elected to Welsh Assembly for UKIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here