Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Party

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
spot on, as i said the Greens living in a fantasy Bubble in Brighton
regards
DR

Sadly compared to every city we have visited in Canada Brighton is very much a shit hole. These places are clean with no rubbish, Brighton seems full of it. Even the beggars say please and thank you, have a nice day etc etc.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I am not a Green voter but I do think our voting system is so rigged it's almost imposable for small parties to make headway the Tories had 44% of the vote and for that they get 318 MPs Labour got 41% which gave them 261 MPs so for 3% the Tories managed to get an extra 57 MPs while the Greens had 2% of the vote yet only manage to get the 1 MP UKIP

With the way vote is, it is possible that winner gets less votes than loser...For example...Ten constituencies with 100 voters Cons win 8 with 51 votes to Labours 49 Labour wins two with 99 votes to cons 1.
Cons have eight MPs with 410 votes, Labour have two with 590 votes...How would you do it ????

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
Agreed. They actually got less votes overall than UKIP, which shows how relevant they are. The bottom line is they only do (even remotely) well in places where there is a high proportion of smug, comfortable middle class virtue-signallers. Being an anti-industry party they get absolutely stuffed in working class constituencies. Lucas is an aberration.

And why might that be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Would the people moaning about Brighton being dirty like to pay some tax to help improve our city?

You know what these right wingers are like. They have a disdain for paying tax........ and why should they? They employ people on minimum wage dontcha know.

What do you want, blood?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Could all you pricks who live in Brighton but think it's shit please sell me your house at a knock down price please. If it's so awful there then I'm sure you'll be happy for me to take it off your hands.

Regards
LL

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Could all you pricks who live in Brighton but think it's shit please sell me your house at a knock down price please. If it's so awful there then I'm sure you'll be happy for me to take it off your hands.

Regards
LL

Find a nice working class northern area with a Tory government and buy a house there. They seem to love them so much i am sure they'll do a house swap.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Rejected? More like Green voters, voted for the greater good. Brighton Pavilion was the only realistic win (regardless of the Bristol optimism) so voting either Labour (who were worth voting for this time) or the Lib Dems if neccessary meant Greens voted elsewhere. I voted Green as live in Pavilion and wanted Caroline returned to parliament. If I lived in Hove or kemptown I would have voted Labour but that does not diminish my support for the Greens. In a FPTP system these are the considerations you have to make as a voter for one of the 'minor' parties.

Jeez, yes rejected. Look up the definition. Outside of Brighton Pavilion when people had the chance to vote for Green candidates they overwhelmingly didn't.

Accept it and move on. Next time you might do better and maybe return to the heady heights of getting less than 5% of the votes as opposed to less than 2%. Oh and feel free to draw the wrong conclusions as to why the Green vote is so derisory.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any party who receives less than 5% of each constituencies vote, forfeits their £500 deposit.
That money goes directly into The Queen's back pocket.

In 2010 The Greens gave Liz £160,000+, while UKIP handed over £200,000+, to her majesty.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Interesting statistic from the 2016 Scottish Parliament election. They use AMS which, for anyone who doesn't know, means each person votes twice when they go to the polling booth - one in a simple FPTP election like the Westminster ones, once using a very simple regional list PR system.

The outcome for the Greens:

% of constituency (FPTP) votes - 0.6%
% of AM votes (PR) votes - 6.6%

There's all sorts of reasons not to make sweeping statements or judgements based on comparing different elections in different countries (not least that they are technically a different party in Scotland), but this basically suggests that potentially ELEVEN times more people could be wanting to vote for the Greens if they knew it wasn't a wasted vote due to FPTP. And they still got over half a million the other day.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What a complete waste of time this party are with 1 MP on which to waste your vote, as many do in Brighton It is a pity that it cannot be that only 3 parties that are accepted to contest 1 seat. It obviously wouldnt be allowed or voted in but it would mean that parties would be more concious of which seats they contested.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
What a complete waste of time this party are with 1 MP on which to waste your vote, as many do in Brighton It is a pity that it cannot be that only 3 parties that are accepted to contest 1 seat. It obviously wouldnt be allowed or voted in but it would mean that parties would be more concious of which seats they contested.

Who threw you a biscuit?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Don't worry, I was being factitious. I intend to enjoy my time back in town and enjoy everything it has to offer.

Used to love the pubs round Southover Street. Is The Geese still there?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I live there. Pubs are still good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here