Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a Brexit Poll next week

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Absolutely. Of course they were not.

But you DO recall, just how close the vote actually was?

Only needs to be a tiny swing to change the result.

FWIW (nothing, as it goes) I believe the vote would be a big Remain win if it went to a poll now. Even those now advocating Leave in government have largely given up even trying to pretend its a good thing for the economy of the country, and are only 'campaigning' on a 'we will deliver what the nation voted for' ticket.

Yes, I DO recall how close the vote was, relatively speaking....but was it really that close?

Leave........17,410,742.....51.89%
Remain.....16,141,241.....48.11%

I suppose....1,269,501 was relatively close but in the whole scheme of things it wasn't really...was it.

2017 General Election
Richmond Park.
Zac Goldsmith.....28,588 ( 45.05% )
Sarah Olney........28,543 ( 44.98% )......Now that is small scale close.

Now for large scale close.

1960 USA Presidential Election.

John F Kennedy......34,220,984 ( 49.72% )
Richard M Nixon......34,108,157 ( 49.55% )........Now thats what I call REALLY CLOSE......makes Brexit look like a cakewalk.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
seeming as the youth vote has suddenly woken up, got out of bed and voted, and realised that

a) they massively mucked up last year by not bothering
b) they can make a difference if they can be arsed

I think it would be a fairly sizable win for Remain. 10% swing towards remain. Minimum.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes, I DO recall how close the vote was, relatively speaking....but was it really that close?

I suppose....1,269,501 was relatively close but in the whole scheme of things it wasn't really...was it.

2017 General Election
Richmond Park.
Zac Goldsmith.....28,588 ( 45.05% )
Sarah Olney........28,543 ( 44.98% )......Now that is small scale close.

Now for large scale close.

1960 USA Presidential Election.

John F Kennedy......34,220,984 ( 49.72% )
Richard M Nixon......34,108,157 ( 49.55% )........Now thats what I call REALLY CLOSE......makes Brexit look like a cakewalk.

But Brexit was still close enough to be considered the toss of a coin. If the data was read by AI the print out would be "Not Sure" or "Undecided". I do think the hundreds of £millions to the NHS fallacy had a big part to play because although this was refuted before the vote, it still resonated with people who didn't see it refuted.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Yes, I think so, and close enough to be entirely reversed by this:

seeming as the youth vote has suddenly woken up, got out of bed and voted, and realised that

a) they massively mucked up last year by not bothering
b) they can make a difference if they can be arsed

and this

I do think the hundreds of £millions to the NHS fallacy had a big part to play because although this was refuted before the vote, it still resonated with people who didn't see it refuted.

and the admission from the Leave camp, (after the vote) that it is an economic disaster, that leaves us scrambling at best for a 'not TOO shit' compromise.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Another reluctant remainer, mainly due to the fact that I thought our lot were totally incapable of negotiating any sort of deal in our favour and I think I was right.
After last night, with May seeming to continue its is now a farce, we will get laughed out of the room, as Cameron was.
The European leaders are far superior than our lot.
I cannot understand why, for the sake of the country, May won't go, she is acting like nothing happened, unbelievable.
Brexit must be halted, or another referendum is needed and it must be remain.
This is heading into total disaster for this country.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
But Brexit was still close enough to be considered the toss of a coin. If the data was read by AI the print out would be "Not Sure" or "Undecided". I do think the hundreds of £millions to the NHS fallacy had a big part to play because although this was refuted before the vote, it still resonated with people who didn't see it refuted.
Yes but most votes are really close.....it's a democracy and it was well close in scotlands referendum as well.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
There's too many factors to consider I think.

There's the Leave voters who did buy into the "bus" and all that nonsense who may well change to Remain
There's the Leave voters who voted Leave for other reasons and would vote Leave again
There's the youth vote who would likely vote Remain

Personally? I voted Remain but I'd be thinking about voting Leave. There's no need for a 2nd referendum. We had one and it had a result and I think that should be honoured no matter how unpalatable the result may have been.

Good post, nice to see someone who voted remain not bitch and moan about a 2nd referendum. its done, we are leaving! when will people stop with all this crap.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The vote was to exit, so just get on with it instead of harping on, sake.

The problem of course - no-one know what they are getting on with :)

My question is valid now - not should we have another referendum, not how would YOU vote.

Rather do you think OTHERS would vote differently now after the turmoil of the last few weeks and who is in charge to negotiate the outcome.

I thought that although I voted in and didn't vote Tory - they were best placed to negotiate a far outcome.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here