Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saudi Players Ignore minutes silence

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Might as well make every match start +1 minute these days. Constant mourning for this that and the other being pushed upon us because we must 'show' grief, it doesn't happen otherwise. You can't simply be trusted to reflect yourself, no you have to demonstrate or it hasn't happened / doesn't exist / can't be shared on social media with the other narcissists. And god forbid anyone who says hang on a sec, we didn't used to do this every week...? Perhaps the Saudi football team didn't KNOW any of the victims? Come to think of it, neither did I. Nor any of the Manchester ones. Or the Paris. Or Paris 2. Or Tunisia. Or Bali. Or Mumbai. Or Baghdad. Or Kabul. Or... But I do read the news and think 'poor buggers, that's horrific, RIP etc' everytime but this doesn't count until I attend a football match and pay my respects demonstrably with thousands of others. In the old days we used to do this at a place called Church, which younger fans won't be familiar with I know. But it's quite ironic really.

110% this.

I've grown so weary of FOOTBALL always having to show a minutes silence every time there is a tragedy or atrocity somewhere (assuming its westerners that died of course). Whats it got to do with football, or sport ? There's no connection. So why are we so often instructed to show our respects to the latest victims before a game of football can kick off ? Can someone explain that ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I understand your not making excuses for them just stating what their custom is regarding this matter, it seems to me that they are in another country that does and should oblige and be respectful. This makes it seem at first glance they do not respect other beliefs and despise us the west that they don't even care if they offend us by not taking part.

I can well imagine the hate if the roles were reversed, half of Australia would have a fatwa for death issued against it by now.

Double standards and just another reason why, we will never see eye to eye.

Horrible country

It's not the nicest of places for sure, however I respect their right not to if that's even what happened here. Why get so upset 11 footballers didn't publically 'observe'? It's pretty meaningless anyway, what about the billions of others around the world that didn't? There's a huge presumption that just because they didn't = disrespectful and/or don't care. I often walk past charity collections I pay a standing order into. And similarly when I'm shaking a tin I don't presume everyone who walks past is a tight uncaring ******* (unless wearing a Palace shirt in which case I have reasonable grounds to)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
110% this.

I've grown so weary of FOOTBALL always having to show a minutes silence every time there is a tragedy or atrocity somewhere (assuming its westerners that died of course). Whats it got to do with football, or sport ? There's no connection. So why are we so often instructed to show our respects to the latest victims before a game of football can kick off ? Can someone explain that ?

Did you just drop in from Mars recently? It's where the world has gone.

I find myself getting increasingly tired of these tedious acts, particularly the 'minutes applause' during a competitive match which absolutely does my head in. The worst part about it is I feel obliged to join in, and normally do so because I very much respect those we have lost, it's just not the time or place for it.

Having said that, knowing it was going to take place the Saudi team should have observed it, it's not as if a minute's pause has any religious connotation. Not on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's not the nicest of places for sure, however I respect their right not to if that's even what happened here. Why get so upset 11 footballers didn't publically 'observe'? It's pretty meaningless anyway, what about the billions of others around the world that didn't? There's a huge presumption that just because they didn't = disrespectful and/or don't care. I often walk past charity collections I pay a standing order into. And similarly when I'm shaking a tin I don't presume everyone who walks past is a tight uncaring ******* (unless wearing a Palace shirt in which case I have reasonable grounds to)

I think you are missing the point (probably deliberately)... when I'm in a foreign country, I respect their way of doing things... in this case, they chose not to observe the minutes silence, which is, in my eyes, disrespectful... whether it is right to hold a minutes silence or not is another matter, and seems to be what you are focusing on...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure they completely ignored it. They didn't line up and link arms, but mostly appeared to stand in silence. On here, starts around 18:00.

https://youtu.be/C_dKK4wYnZM

Having watched the video, they didn't seem to ignore the silence to me. All I heard were a few shouts from drunk Aussies in the stands.

Exactly this. Those who WANT to be outraged won't actually watch it, of course.

It is piss poor from the Saudi FEDERATION not to agree to line up as is the norm. Baffling decision that benefits nobody - but the PLAYERS themselves (from what you can see in the video) do seem to stand quietly, and can be seen clapping like everyone else when the ref blows his whistle to end the silence.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If they mostly stood still, without making any noise (but happened not to hug each other at the same time), it's arguable they did observe it.

Great big storm in a teacup for me but great ammo for those that need something to be offended about.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I find myself getting increasingly tired of these tedious acts, particularly the 'minutes applause' during a competitive match which absolutely does my head in.

The worst part about it is I feel obliged to join in, and normally do so because I very much respect those we have lost, it's just not the time or place for it.

Having said that, knowing it was going to take place the Saudi team should have observed it, it's not as if a minute's pause has any religious connotation. Not on.

You only have to look at the hysterical reactions on this thread to see why we've been coerced into thinking it's 'normal'. People are afraid of the cyber-shame police or 'the mob' as they used to be called.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think you are missing the point (probably deliberately)... when I'm in a foreign country, I respect their way of doing things... in this case, they chose not to observe the minutes silence, which is, in my eyes, disrespectful... whether it is right to hold a minutes silence or not is another matter, and seems to be what you are focusing on...

I KNOW you've missed my point. Btw, nothing 'deliberate' about mine though I understand it might suit your argument.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So.....they didn't ignore it.

They just didn't stand in a nice line. Basically respecting Australia's right to hold a minutes silence for their loss, without lining up under a false showing of joint grief.

Got it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sad to think that nations like this are the ones our lovely old country will have to cuddle up to in our post-Brexit world. Expect not a breath of criticism from the blessed Theresa.

we have to keep our weapons industry that employs thousands gainfully employed and Saudi are one of the main contributors. My mate works for British Aerospace in Broughton North Wales and they have been told to expect that the wings for the airbusses they manufacture will be going to France...so we had better find some other middle eastern despotic country to sell our weapons to..how about Iran?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If they mostly stood still, without making any noise (but happened not to hug each other at the same time), it's arguable they did observe it.

Great big storm in a teacup for me but great ammo for those that need something to be offended about.

We wouldn't be calling it a storm in a teacup if it happened at Wembley

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I KNOW you've missed my point. Btw, nothing 'deliberate' about mine though I understand it might suit your argument.

No, I got your point, just you went off topic...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So.....they didn't ignore it.

They just didn't stand in a nice line. Basically respecting Australia's right to hold a minutes silence for their loss, without lining up under a false showing of joint grief.

Got it.

I watched it, and they ignored the minutes silence (from what we could see, which was limited). And, yes, a few in the crowd shouted, which is also disrespectful... a storm in a teacup to you, maybe, but not to me...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I watched it, and they ignored the minutes silence (from what we could see, which was limited). .

Genuine question (and this isn't trying to catch you out), were the Saudi players talking? I personally didn't see any and also noted them applauding once the minutes silence finished.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I'm well aware of that. Hence it macking me off every time I'm expected to stand there clapping like a sealion in remembrance to victims somewhere, just because I happen to have gone to a football match.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
this is also a country that has public beheading executions for quite petty crimes compared to the west. I guess they don't understand what the fuss is all about.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The FFA (Football Federation of Australia) have confirmed that the Saudi's agreed to be silent and move to their side of the field during the minute to respect the Australian custom (which was not in keeping with their own)

Storm. In. Teacup

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Since their country funds terrorist groups including ISIS and gave the world the Wahhabist interpretation of Islam that is behind what happened in London and Manchester, it would obviously be pretty hypocritical of the Saudis to observe a minute's silence to show respect for people their nation helped to kill. So, er, good for them.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here