Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ruben Loftus-Cheek......

The Raver

Banned
Jun 9, 2017
[SUB][/SUB]
Yeah, it must be a dream come true to leave the Champions and sign for a club populated by players unable to cut it at big clubs (Cabaye at PSG, Benteke at Liverpool and Zaha at Man utd), to be managed by a manager who lasted less than three months in his last job(when managing in a competitive league for the first time-winning the dutch league with Ajax isn't that impressive when Steve ****ing McClaren managed it with Twente) and playing in a shithole in front of a bunch of ****wits dressed in black who would rather be watching Spurs and think they're passionate because they copy videos off youtube.

I bet he thinks he's made it now.

You must be really bad then, he's chosen us over yourselves according to the press...

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
We are very much a counter attacking team, I think people assume that as we were a top end side that we must dominate the ball, which really is not true at all.

We have been very happy to hand possesion over at times even to weaker sides, sit in being very organised and then hit on the counter, this season ofcourse we wont be handing it over, we just wont have it.

Equally though that is the way we will work best for us, well i hope anyway.

A pacy striker and winger will help with this greatly.

Sort of what I meant I think. When I say we controlled games we do it as much without the ball as we do with it. We hold a great shape and when we get it back normally we are looking to break quickly. We have scored some brilliant goals on the break over the past 2 seasons. We managed to do that a lot 2 v 3 in the middle of the park at Championship level pretty well due to having 1 of the 2 strikers mainly Baldock dropping in a bit.
This year we will defiantly drop into a 451 without the ball and the times we do get it we will want to hit quickly on the break. Pace is going to be all important to this. 2 good wingers a good number 10 and a strong pacy striker will all help the cause.
Think we have some good players in some those positions but still a winger and a striker would be good at this stage

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
[SUB][/SUB]

You must be really bad then, he's chosen us over yourselves according to the press...

No strong rumours we were ever in for him. Abrahams was the 1 we wanted but he has chosen Swansea. If the press are to be believed we want Izzy Brown and you can only have 1 on loan from any one club so seems unlikely at this time we were ever in for him. Im interested to see how he actually does. Seems to of been talked about for ages but has hardly any minutes under his belt at a competitive level. Always looks good for England U21s though.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I reckon there are about 13 teams in the Premier League planning to play counter-attacking football next year (including us)! Could make for some extremely exciting, or very dull, games depending on who's playing who.
Kick off takes place and both teams retreat to their own penalty areas, just waiting their chance to spring their counter attacking trap :thumbsup:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No guarantees but I expect us to surpass Bournemouth in terms of league position and status in a year or two at most...

I'm afraid you are in cloud cuckoo land if you expect that to happen. As others have said, Bournemouth far surpass us in many different ways. They are a well established Premier league club now, regularly finishing mid table or above. They also have one of the very best young managers in the game in Eddie Howe, and a Chairman who, (rightly or wrongly), is more than willing to splash the cash on expensive new signings.

We are very new to this Premier Lague lark, let's wait and see how next season goes before we start making wild assumptions like that.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Massive transition for us. We have been used to controlling games over the past couple seasons whilst quite often being out numbered in the middle of the park. Baldock always put a shift in though without the ball which is why we could do it.
In terms of the squad we will need improvements to it for sure. The thing is you never know who will step up and who won't make the grade until they play a few games at that level. I think there will be players in our squad who may surprise a few and also players who we think will do well who for whatever reason never make the step up.

This is spot on. There's going to be a few players who surprise everybody including themselves perhaps with how well they transition into the Premier League. There's going to be a few players who do not make it, who fall short when we'd all have said they'd likely make it. Pace is all important and currently the squad doesn't have enough of it. A pacey PL quality striker is the most important thing currently, you can't counter effectively without a pacey, quality striker.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
I'm afraid you are in cloud cuckoo land if you expect that to happen. As others have said, Bournemouth far surpass us in many different ways. They are a well established Premier league club now, regularly finishing mid table or above. They also have one of the very best young managers in the game in Eddie Howe, and a Chairman who, (rightly or wrongly), is more than willing to splash the cash on expensive new signings.

We are very new to this Premier Lague lark, let's wait and see how next season goes before we start making wild assumptions like that.

Bournemouth have a head start, and don't appear to be in immediate danger of falling far as long as Howe is at their helm. Keeping up 9th place is going to be a hell of a job though, unlikely you'd say. Brighton need to catch up, the PL is only big enough for 20 clubs after all, but a repeat of Bournemouth's 16th place first season would be just the ticket. After that first season - who knows?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bournemouth have a head start, and don't appear to be in immediate danger of falling far as long as Howe is at their helm. Keeping up 9th place is going to be a hell of a job though, unlikely you'd say. Brighton need to catch up, the PL is only big enough for 20 clubs after all, but a repeat of Bournemouth's 16th place first season would be just the ticket. After that first season - who knows?

Let's not look too far ahead. Just securing our Premier League survival at the end of the coming season is the be all and end all. Finishing 17th will be a massive achievement.

Forget Bournemouth, this is all about us, where they finish is of no significance at all to to me.

May 24, 2017
Let's not look too far ahead. Just securing our Premier League survival at the end of the coming season is the be all and end all. Finishing 17th will be a massive achievement.

Forget Bournemouth, this is all about us, where they finish is of no significance at all to to me.

Excellent post Cowfold......unfortunately i'm afraid your last sentence may well fall on deaf ears.......the rest of the forum seems to be absolutely obsessed by Bournemouth.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm afraid you are in cloud cuckoo land if you expect that to happen. As others have said, Bournemouth far surpass us in many different ways. They are a well established Premier league club now, regularly finishing mid table or above.

Well established? They've been in the PL for 2 (two) seasons.

They did finish 9th last season but were only 3 points above 14th and only 6 points above "just surviving" 17th place. Finally, they were 15 points off 7th.

Bournemouth clearly have a head start on us, but don't be under any illusion that they are anything other than one of the many "have nots" in the Premier League, a group which we are joining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here