Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GCSE revision Maths

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Mrs Merdalf is a swimming coach and I showed her this, the first thing she asked was how long is the pool 25m or 50m. Never ask a professional, they always deviate

But a valid point if the school's pool is 25m and the event is a 50m pool, or the girls times are from different length pools. Surprised the water temperature wasn't mentioned, and whether inside or outside pools and whether the girls were the only swimmers in the pool for the trial times, or in competition.

I can see a couple of pages being written before getting onto the actual maths issue

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
But a valid point if the school's pool is 25m and the event is a 50m pool, or the girls times are from different length pools. Surprised the water temperature wasn't mentioned, and whether inside or outside pools and whether the girls were the only swimmers in the pool for the trial times, or in competition.

I can see a couple of pages being written before getting onto the actual maths issue

Jeez, you related to Mrs Merdalf, she said all that, also are they coached by the same person

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Neither as due to the Tory Educational budget cuts, the school have had to cut back on out of school activities and are no longer entering any school teams. Further they have drained the pool as it is too costly to run and have instead moved desk and chairs into the dry pool so that it can be used for the forthcoming GSCE maths exam.

NB The correct answer has been provided by many already
OR

Under a Tory Government, you would select Child A as they are the fastest and therefore most likely to win.

Under a Labour Government you would take both children, as everyone is special and they all winners, and it would unfair on the slower child not to be a winner as well. That said under a Labour government it would be pointless question, as the unions would have the teachers out on strike or impose an over time ban due to the classroom doors being the wrong colour, so there would be no swimming gala. :lol: (runs for cover)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I remain unconvinced that Bolt has run a slower 100m than you.
He pulled a hamstring at the start in training, and walked to the finish line (as it was on the way back to the physio) in 30 seconds.

Indeed. Megan has proven in her trials that she can swim faster than Lizzie. She has also proven that she is more inconsistent than Lizzie. On her day she would beat Lizzie, but when it isn't her day she would lose to Lizzie.
We really need to know the opposition they're up against. If they're a consistent 26.2, then Megan is the only one who can beat them. If they're consistently around 26.4 and 26.5, Lizzie's our girl, she's got the best chance of winning.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He pulled a hamstring at the start in training, and walked to the finish line (as it was on the way back to the physio) in 30 seconds.

That I can believe; but where's the evidence you've run 100m quicker than 30 seconds?

We really need to know the opposition they're up against. If they're a consistent 26.2, then Megan is the only one who can beat them. If they're consistently around 26.4 and 26.5, Lizzie's our girl, she's got the best chance of winning.

Let's hope the school has an effective scouting operation in place.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'd go for Megan, and trust enough in my Hughtonesque coaching skills to get her to pull out a sub 26 when it counts. Lizzie will never make it sadly. All puff no huff.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And regardless of the outcome of this exam, your daughter will be in a job where she can use a spreadsheet to work this stuff out rendering this Maths exam completely pointless.

It's not just teaching maths though. As Hans Kray demonstrated with his answer it also encourages lateral thinking. Besides, on-the-hoof maths is very important and you would look quite stupid resorting to a spreadsheet in many Day to day situations where similar maths arises.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To the usual 'is this what GCSE's have come to?' / 'it was much harder in our day' responses, the current GCSE Maths syllabus is genuinely REALLY difficult.

My lad is sitting his GCSE's right now (in fact he's sitting a maths paper, literally NOW) and I dread when he asks for help with a test paper. They are doing stuff I did at Maths A-level, 28 years ago.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I gave this question to my 10 year old year 6 son this evening to tackle while I was cooking dinner.

He did it long hand in about 3 minutes (calculated averages) and got it spot on.

That gave me a chance to show him how he could ignore the 26 seconds part of the times so a useful learning experience in logic, problem solving etc.

Thanks OP for posting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here