Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please use your vote.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
No. That's an individualistic logic. A democratic logic insists that you're a citizen and not an individual, and that requires that you do certain things that supersede choice.

Well put. It's not the same as voting for something like who should be evicted on Big Brother, we're all affected by the outcome of a GE and so we should all take responsibility for our futures. And whilst the OP probably had in mind those who died in WW2 when he talked about 'ultimate sacrifice' frankly they get remembered enough. The unsung, unremembered heroes are all those who fought the British Establishment for the extension of the franchise so that all men and women could vote regardless of position or privilege.

(And we all know that after last year's Brexit vote the British Establishment are deeply regretting that!)

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
A just over a third of voters eligible to vote, don't. That is a lot of votes.
http://www.votenone.org.uk/uk-unheard-third.html

This is a good idea and one of the only solutions in our non-democracy. But it needs a good number of people to do it to make it register nationally. Sadly, unless you live in a marginal, under FPTP a vote against the incumbent party is totally pointless. This work from NEF in 2010 on relative Voter Power is interesting too http://www.voterpower.org.uk/

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No. That's an individualistic logic. A democratic logic insists that you're a citizen and not an individual, and that requires that you do certain things that supersede choice.

Completely agree. We all benefit from being part of society whether that be from public services or security etc etc. Voting is a civic duty and supersedes the individualism that has taken root since the days of Mrs Thatcher.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The part which does 'make a point' is the final spoilt ballot count, which is counted as part of turnout. It at least partly quantifies political dissatisfaction.

The party or parties that do receive sufficient votes to wield or share power will not care though.

Personally if I felt that my vote could not achieve 'anything' in terms of winning the seat, I'd still vote for my favoured party - even if they were only going to poll a tiny %. Because those votes ARE counted nationally, even if our system of government doesn't see them represented accordingly in Parliament.

10% of votes (for example) for the Green Party nationally won't result in seats, but they are counted, and might just help to influence future discussions on an alternative system.

If ONLY those with a real chance of winning voted in each constituency, then nearly ALL the votes cast would be for the three main parties and the argument for change would be undermined.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Completely agree. We all benefit from being part of society whether that be from public services or security etc etc. Voting is a civic duty and supersedes the individualism that has taken root since the days of Mrs Thatcher.

Being forced to vote would be an erosion of freedom so I can't agree that everyone should vote. Also, I think individualism should be promoted more now than ever.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
da9d9fd7f1f20e66c4558cbbd426afd9.jpg

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I've never understood this viewpoint, tbh.

In what way is not attending a polling station, any more of an 'insult' to those people, than going along with the sole intention of NOT voting? :shrug:

I appreciate that you might feel that none of the candidates in your constituency are worth your vote, but in what way does defacing your voting slip achieve anything?

Well I'd say that spoiling your ballot does two things. Firstly, it shows that you're engaged enough to vote but that you didn't agree with any of the candidates. A dozen or so spoiled votes isn't any big thing, a few hundred does certainly send a "Do better" message. Secondly, it's worth noting that representatives from campaigns do read spoiled ballots. They pretty much have to too demonstrate that it is actually spoiled. Whether they care or not is another matter, but someone from each campaign, including the candidate potentially, will at least see your ballot and how you have spoiled it.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well put. It's not the same as voting for something like who should be evicted on Big Brother, we're all affected by the outcome of a GE and so we should all take responsibility for our futures. And whilst the OP probably had in mind those who died in WW2 when he talked about 'ultimate sacrifice' frankly they get remembered enough. The unsung, unremembered heroes are all those who fought the British Establishment for the extension of the franchise so that all men and women could vote regardless of position or privilege.

(And we all know that after last year's Brexit vote the British Establishment are deeply regretting that!)

Actually,rather more that and rather simple 'one man one vote' and so many have fought and died for that across the Globe. So do what ever want,but at least TURN-UP.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
All these posts trying to guilt trip non voters. I'm a non voter, mainly because I don't understand whats going on or who is doing what in the name of political gain or sense of duty to the community....I don't even know the name of the conservative rep for Coldean?:shrug:
More to the point, I don't really care enough to find out. If there was still football on, I wouldn't even be reading the election threads.
Sorry if you feel offended by my stance/non stance

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It is good to be back in a country where I am actually allowed to vote. Paying tax but having no say in how it is spent is not a pleasant situation. I will certainly be using mine tomorrow. It is up to others whether they do or not.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I'm liking this option. Is that an acceptable use to those that fought for our rights to vote?

On the basis that you could be saying "none of the above", I would say yes. At least you would have made the effort.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
The party or parties that do receive sufficient votes to wield or share power will not care though.

Personally if I felt that my vote could not achieve 'anything' in terms of winning the seat, I'd still vote for my favoured party - even if they were only going to poll a tiny %. Because those votes ARE counted nationally, even if our system of government doesn't see them represented accordingly in Parliament.

10% of votes (for example) for the Green Party nationally won't result in seats, but they are counted, and might just help to influence future discussions on an alternative system.

If ONLY those with a real chance of winning voted in each constituency, then nearly ALL the votes cast would be for the three main parties and the argument for change would be undermined.

Wouldn't proportional representation be a good idea? Why hasn't anybody thought of that!!!!!............

The vast majority of the votes I have cast since I turned 18....... 46 years ago...... have been tactical - the best chance of beating the one major party I could never imagine myself voting for.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Yeah but they just put said soiled paper in the bin .

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Spoiled ballots get counted. If there was a campaign around spoiled ballots for some reason, and it resulted in a large number of spoiled ballots, that would say something in itself.

Whatever the result tomorrow, if there were an enormous number of spoiled ballots - like 20% (which is never going to happen) it would send a message that large numbers of people are fed up with the whole thing.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Spoiled ballots get counted. If there was a campaign around spoiled ballots for some reason, and it resulted in a large number of spoiled ballots, that would say something in itself.

Whatever the result tomorrow, if there were an enormous number of spoiled ballots - like 20% (which is never going to happen) it would send a message that large numbers of people are fed up with the whole thing.
I think that's been the case for a very long time.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I agree with that. I'm just not sure I agree that going along and drawing a picture of a turd on your voting slip, counts as 'doing something'.

My advice on drawing a picture of a turd on your voting slip is to ensure it doesn't fit within the square of a candidate's voting box as it will be counted as a vote (seriously !) :smile:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
It is good to be back in a country where I am actually allowed to vote. Paying tax but having no say in how it is spent is not a pleasant situation. I will certainly be using mine tomorrow. It is up to others whether they do or not.

And another pet hate of mine. If you're old enough to pay tax or join the forces, you're old enough to vote :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here