Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diane Abbott Back!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The serious point, is that you are taking a cynical view of it
I am very cynical of the way Labour have handled this. I can't see how my cynicism is the serious point here, rather than what Labour have done.

I have as much interest in what the guardian have to say about this as what the Daily hate might say.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I really don't get why Ms Abbott comes in for such vituperative personal abuse from Tories. Is it because they are frightened of a strong black woman who isn't scared to offer opinions that don't agree with their white, male, middle class, little Englander view?

That's an interesting point you make there though. I can recall back in 2010 when Ms Abbott was standing for the Labour leadership, there was similar abuse being banded about at her. My wife at the time, now ex-wife, was convinced and unwavering in her view that the abuse was simply because Ms Abbott was a black women from humble beginnings with opinions and anyone else with similar views would not get the abuse she does. I didn't agree with her at the time, but my ex-wife was utterly convinced this was the case and there was nothing I could say to persuade her to the contrary. Just like Ms Abbott my ex-wife was black too.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I just read that PM Theresa May is a type 1 diabetic and injects herself 5 times a day.

I'm surprised she doesn't use it as an excuse.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's an interesting point you make there though. I can recall back in 2010 when Ms Abbott was standing for the Labour leadership, there was similar abuse being banded about at her. My wife at the time, now ex-wife, was convinced and unwavering in her view that the abuse was simply because Ms Abbott was a black women from humble beginnings with opinions and anyone else with similar views would not get the abuse she does. I didn't agree with her at the time, but my ex-wife was utterly convinced this was the case and there was nothing I could say to persuade her to the contrary. Just like Ms Abbott my ex-wife was black too.
May is getting a lot of abuse at the moment. Is it 'cos she is black?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am very cynical of the way Labour have handled this. I can't see how my cynicism is the serious point here, rather than what Labour have done.

I have as much interest in what the guardian have to say about this as what the Daily hate might say.

I didn't take you for being quite so closed minded and cynical, but there you go. You've clearly made your mind up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, let me quote it again:
Yep, like I say, I didn't say it wasn't serious. I said she hadn't just been diagnosed. You seem to be having difficulties with English.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't take you for being quite so closed minded and cynical, but there you go. You've clearly made your mind up.
I'm generally quite cynical, but I'm not closed minded. I simply think that Labour fooled the electorate.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well maybe you should write it in way that can not be readily read as she was not just diagnosed with non-serious condition. Which is what the added brackets of your statement imply, that is was neither serious or recent.
Also, why the lie about people not thinking she would come back? It was reported in all the press at the time that it was tempory. I am no fan of Abbott but this witch hunt is stupid.

All for Abbott coming back. She will destroy from within

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also, why the lie about people not thinking she would come back?
Just read this thread, people said she wouldn't be back. That's what people here thought. How is that lying? I'm going on what I've read (here).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They all knew she would be back too as it was written in the press at the time that she would be.
You're wrong, they clearly didn't know she'd be back, as they said:

This is very obviously a signal that - in the extremely unlikely event that Corbyn will be forming a government - Abbott will not be playing any central role.
Should be reassuring to all of those who's main (only) argument against Labour seems to be 'but Abbott'
I was talking in terms of the role in general. She won't be returning to the role of Shadow Home Secretary or in the very unlikely event of the Tories not winning an overall majority, she will not become the Home Secretary.
Nope. It's about Diane Abbott. She's gone. Superb news for Labour.
Surely being shadow home secretary (or home secretary) entails more duties and responsibilities with an increased workload above and beyond those of a regular MP?

So I don't see how people can dupped by assuming she wouldn't! If anything they have dupped themselves by not actually reading the reports.
How can you dupe yourself by not reading every report available? People don't have time to read every report. If she was being dropped permanently, it would be understandable if the party watered it down to spare her feelings etc. People often go on leave for a bit, and then are quietly sacked when the news has become old.

How many people here said she'd definitely be back (that's a serious question, I haven't checked)?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No idea how many on here said that she would be back. But all the above knew she said and labour said she would be.
Did she really? I thought she didn't say anything, and that it was a statement by Labour and she had been removed without being asked. I don't remember her commenting on it.

They have his put 2 and 2 together to get 5. No one has dipped anyone, it was clearly communicated it was tempory.
Just like I clearly communicated that she hadn't just been diagnosed with a serious illness, yet you thought I meant it wasn't a serious illness. All the evidence I can see is that voters thought she was permanently gone from that position.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Did she really? I thought she didn't say anything, and that it was a statement by Labour and she had been removed without being asked. I don't remember her commenting on it.

Just like I clearly communicated that she hadn't just been diagnosed with a serious illness, yet you thought I meant it wasn't a serious illness. All the evidence I can see is that voters thought she was permanently gone from that position.

When you want to wriggle, you really know how to string something out.

I'm not going to go back through the thread to check, but I was in the car when it was announced, and various Labour people on that day said it was a temporary break through ill health, and stressed it was temporary without a time frame for her return. Following that I don't even remember seeing a report with what you are hanging your argument on, this 'she's just been diagnosed with a serious illness', as far as I can tell it came out later when she decided to announce her private confidential medical condition of type 2 diabetes.

Now you can quote other posters who thought different, or assume whatever else, but the fact is when it was announced it was 'temporary', and no details of the illness were given. You 'believe' what you want to believe, that is down to you, but it certainly isn't fact or truth, merely inference and opinion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When you want to wriggle, you really know how to string something out.
:rolleyes:

I'm not going to go back through the thread to check, but I was in the car when it was announced, and various Labour people on that day said it was a temporary break through ill health, and stressed it was temporary without a time frame for her return.
Fine, but you can see what people here thought.

Following that I don't even remember seeing a report with what you are hanging your argument on, this 'she's just been diagnosed with a serious illness'
I'm not claiming they said the word 'just', but that is what we all thought. People thought she was showing early signs of dementia (although I will say that as soon as I mentioned her ill health to my wife she said it was probably diabetes - I thought she was taking the piss, she wasn't).

'believe' what you want to believe, that is down to you, but it certainly isn't fact or truth, merely inference and opinion.
It is a fact that some people thought she wouldn't be back. That is not an opinion.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Back on top where she belongs .:lol:

Attachments

• 19059765_1326057890846299_1613150596032951359_n.jpg
    19059765_1326057890846299_1613150596032951359_n.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 112

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here