Diane Abbott Back!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Chill out there fella! You tend to be edging here towards Labour, I could be very wrong of course, but weren't they a Labour Govt. dealing with a Saudi regime? Simple answer really.

Sorry, I get very annoyed with tribalism in politics. Red vs. Blue, Good vs. Evil etc. It's so reductive and has lowered political debate in this country down through the floor. I get frustrated with the idea that because I am currently looking to vote Labour, I must be a dyed-in-the-wool Labour voter all my life. I can't stand people who are "tory til I die" "labour til I die". How daft is that?

Yes they were, and I didn't like it any more than I like it now with May. I think it's pretty well known by now though that they were Tory-lite with most of their policies, whereas now we have a genuine centre-left candidate for Labour.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think, putting party politics aside, most people would agree she's had a bit of a shocker. It's also reasonable to suggest that it's a bit of a cover story about her unspecified illness, which coincided with yet another embarrassment for the party, just before the election. It's fair to say she is a bit of a liability and has been given enough chances, but simply isn't up to the task

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Jack was criticising Cameron for using his son's death for political gain. Their tweet was extremely crass and hurtful IMO.

I think that is accurate from what I recall - and 'crass and hurtful' I would agree with.
I don't think 'mocking his loss' (as per your previous post) is correct though.

But I posted the link not because of any support or otherwise for Jack Monroe - who i know little about - but as a short cut to reminding people that there is far more to Diane Abbott than the lazy media stereotype, and her recent performances might suggest. There is much to be admired about her as well as many things to criticise.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think 'mocking his loss' (as per your previous post) is correct though.
Yeah that's wasn't the right phrasing. They said something about fake tears of something, just annoyed me.

But I posted the link not because of any support or otherwise for Jack Monroe - who i know little about - but as a short cut to reminding people that there is far more to Diane Abbott than the lazy media stereotype, and her recent performances might suggest. There is much to be admired about her as well as many things to criticise.
Yes I'm sure there's a lot to be admired from the past. The thing is, I don't think it's just been recent weeks that she's been nothing like the early Abbott, I think she's talked crap for years now. She may be ill, but her poor performances don't feel like a sudden thing to me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Now there was a politician I liked- she would no doubt be branded as a Tory/Blairite by the Momentum Twitterati if she were still around these days.

Indeed.....Mo Mowlam, a Labour politican whom really did have a huge input into bringing peace to Northern Ireland along with others (i.e John Hume, SDLP, David Trimble, UUP and many others) and was in no way an IRA apologist.

I think Red Tory is the phrase you are looking for, that these delightful people use.....the desired method of delivery is at some protest or other, screamed in someones face if possible and with a mouthful of spit added in ideal circumstances.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
you could name anyone who has not U-turned on just about anything she has changed her mind about .....in fact the referendum for a start.
see how she is allowed to change her mind on things but if anyone else does it and they are jumped on.

I don't have a problem with anyone changing their mind, if it's done for the right reasons - e.g. changes of circumstance, new information comes to light.
Far worse, would be someone with such closed a mindset as to be unable to recognise that their initial decision is now no longer the correct one.

Just as an example:
Maybe TM changed from remain to brexit once she learned from the referendum result that it was the majority wish of the nation.
Maybe TM changed from "I won't call a GE" to calling a GE when it became apparent that her party were in a particulalrly strong position to win - if she'd waited until end of term, Corbyn may have been replaced and a GE outcome much more uncertain
I think that's actually smart reactive (open) mindset which is way preferable IMHO to a closed mindset of someone refusing to change their mind just because that would be seen as a sign of waekness.

I've changed my mind loads of times on all sorts of stuff, bet you have too. Anyone who doesn't is often called pig-headed ....

Anyway, you've not answered my question - if your opinion is the TM is not the best negotiator we have to lead us through Brexit, who would your choice be?

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Blimey , there's more bile there than in an elephants gall bladder. What's Jack Monroe done to make those guys feel so threatened ?

She's a lefty, identifies as non-binary, and has written about poverty, which is enough to trigger the average Spectator reader it seems.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I don't have a problem with anyone changing their mind, if it's done for the right reasons - e.g. changes of circumstance, new information comes to light.
Far worse, would be someone with such closed a mindset as to be unable to recognise that their initial decision is now no longer the correct one.

Just as an example:
Maybe TM changed from remain to brexit once she learned from the referendum result that it was the majority wish of the nation.
Maybe TM changed from "I won't call a GE" to calling a GE when it became apparent that her party were in a particulalrly strong position to win - if she'd waited until end of term, Corbyn may have been replaced and a GE outcome much more uncertain
I think that's actually smart reactive (open) mindset which is way preferable IMHO to a closed mindset of someone refusing to change their mind just because that would be seen as a sign of waekness.

I've changed my mind loads of times on all sorts of stuff, bet you have too. Anyone who doesn't is often called pig-headed ....

Anyway, you've not answered my question - if your opinion is the TM is not the best negotiator we have to lead us through Brexit, who would your choice be?

she changed her mind for political reasons
who to do the job...........................just a though Hilary Benn, Major or both, neither are political heavyweights any longer with good brains

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Jeremy Corbyn, on this morning's Peston, has confirmed that Abbott has returned to the shadow Home Secretary position and her illness is diabetes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Jeremy Corbyn, on this morning's Peston, has confirmed that Abbott has returned to the shadow home minister position and her illness is diabetes.
What? They said her long term illness meant she couldn't be in the (shadow) cabinet?

So now the election is over, they can admit it was just a scam to get votes. Labour voters have been played.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What? They said her long term illness meant she couldn't be in the (shadow) cabinet?

So now the election is over, they can admit it was just a scam to get votes. Labour voters have been played.

How very dare you, attempting to say that lefties and vulnerable yoofs have been hoodwinked into voting for the saintly Labour party.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I seem to remember some people on here suggesting she had dementia so criticising her was off limits/poor form. I wonder what the line is for diabetes?

Never mind I do know what it is. The PM has diabetes so I'm guessing it's ok to put the boot in once more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here