Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diane Abbott Back!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
But if it's affecting her more now than it will (ie, she'll get better), then I don't see the reason for her to stand down. It can't be a long term illness that's only short term.

Could she not have a long term condition that is being exacerbated by the pressures of electioneering, appearing on live TV several times a day being grilled on massive issues and running around to various demos and conferences speaking in public etc.

I can imagine this would take its toll on those a picture of health.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Could she not have a long term condition that is being exacerbated by the pressures of electioneering, appearing on live TV several times a day being grilled on massive issues and running around to various demos and conferences speaking in public etc.

Yes I suppose so.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Fair enough, I didn't know that, but then he wouldn't have known at the time either. My understanding is that he simply said he didn't have the energy to deal with being a PM as he wanted to. That's not the same as we've seen happen with Abbott, who has not been performing well enough.

If you've suddenly become ill (say a heart attack, or stroke), I can't see the problem with saying you won't be able to carry on in politics, although your name will still be on the paper.

Yep, but the timing of this change is very suspect.

I agree with the timing. There are all sorts of Electoral Commission rules and on candidates making statements on future plans and standing down, once the ballot papers are issued, as they have been though.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Hasnt stopped her appearing numerous times on Question time and "this week" and other TV appearences when campaigning wasnt on

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Hasnt stopped her appearing numerous times on Question time and "this week" and other TV appearences when campaigning wasnt on

Were those TV appearances as intense and as regular as they are at the moment, did they occur at the same time as general electioneering off screen as shadow home secretary and was her condition the same then as it is now?

You say it yourself campaigning wasn't on.

Gardiner, the Brent North MP, told Talk Radio: “I don’t have her medical condition. I’m given to understand she’s been diagnosed … It’s a long-term condition, and she’s been coming to terms with that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-for-the-period-of-her-ill-health-corbyn-says

Maybe she is fine, maybe she isn't.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
As did Mo Mowlam, who was diagnosed with a brain tumour in 1997, but continued to be MP for Redcar until 2001, while making a massive contribution towards the Northern Ireland peace process during that period in her role as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.

Much as I hate to say it, on the face of things, Diane Abbott's ill health stepping down does seem a tad strategic.

Now there was a politician I liked- she would no doubt be branded as a Tory/Blairite by the Momentum Twitterati if she were still around these days.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
She was on the front bench under Milliband and I don't remember her being a car crash then.
She wasn't in the run up to the election though.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Having people like Diane Abbot in such a prestigious role is what happens when you are more interested in 'diversity and inclusion' and 'quotas' then you are in making sure you appoint the right people to the right jobs.

I hope her recent problems are not early symptoms of some form of serious illness, but the news doesn't sound great. She's still standing as an MP, of course.
I used to get like her when my hangovers took longer to wear off...just saying!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I am on record -on this board - as saying Diane Abbott should not be near front bench politics and that her performances over the last few months have been pretty awful, and I stand by that. But still, the sneering tone of many comments here and elsewhere do deserve to be challenged. If you are prepared to look beyond simplistic and lazy cliches and get a bit more of a sense of what Diane Abbott has achieved, where she came from and what she has had to put up with over a pretty impressive career - this may be helpful. It is not written as I would write it, but what it says provides some important balance.

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2017/06/07/we-need-to-talk-about-diane-abbott-now-explicit-content/

If you want to just carry on thinking with the crowd, or don't like your views to be challenged, or just get offended by what some will certainly define as 'lefty drivel' you should probably avoid.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

£700 per appearance is, in the grand scheme of things, not a lot. I don't like the woman and glad she's apparently gone but this is hardly a story. Her list of interests pale into insignificance when compared to some one like Soames!! He gets £110k a year for two days work a month from Gardaworld (security services), another £97k from MMC ltd (insurance) for only two days work a month, £15k a year for only 8 days a year for an energy company and £20k a year for about 4 days work for a private investment company. Haven't seen the Sun reporting this!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here