Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beer "fight"

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If you did this in a pub or a shopping centre, people complained and the police decided to prosecute, you would probably be looking at Common Assault at the lowest level. A conditional discharge or a fine at most.
Ditto if you did it at a rugby or cricket match.
The law, and in particular punishment, relating to football matches is in serious need of review.

Common Assault? Are you kidding? Who was assaulted? Who was injured?

Get a grip.

Length of bans ridiculously OTT.....but that is, sadly, the way our increasingly sanitised sport is headed

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Get a grip.

Length of bans ridiculously OTT.....but that is, sadly, the way our increasingly sanitised sport is headed

No, not kidding.

If you chuck beer over someone, it's classed as common assault (section 3 Criminal justices act 1988).

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
If you did this in a pub or a shopping centre, people complained and the police decided to prosecute, you would probably be looking at Common Assault at the lowest level. A conditional discharge or a fine at most.
Ditto if you did it at a rugby or cricket match.
The law, and in particular punishment, relating to football matches is in serious need of review.

Drunk and disorderly. A night in the cells to sleep it off and an £80 fine in the morning. Wouldn't get anywhere near court.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have seen video after video on YouTube of lads throwing beer in football concourses.
I was in the concourse at Forest, and these blokes looked like they were having a great time soaking each other with lager.
It's not something I would do and I kept my distance as I didn't want to get wet, and I can fully understand people that get fed up with this.

What does seem odd is the police and stewards stood around for ages watching the beer luzzing party, I'm sure if they had warned the lads from the start not to throw beer or face a 3 year match ban, they may have stopped.
I'm not talking about 200 fans throwing beer at Forest, this was a small group and it started well before kick off.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
So you get a 3 year banning order for fighting at football.......and now you get a 3 year banning order for throwing beer around whilst singing and dancing with your own fans????
The fact this even went to court epitomises what's fundamentally wrong with our pathetic society and law system!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Get a grip.

One of them was charged with assaulting a policeman and found guilty after a three hour trial. It's all in the article in the link.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
One of them was charged with assaulting a policeman and found guilty after a three hour trial. It's all in the article in the link.
Spoilsport. Much better story that they were just having a sing song and luzzing lager.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Luzzing beer when a 90th minute winner goes in and spraying champagne winning promotion are absolutely right and proper.

Spraying beer before a game, being warned to stop and then carrying on is bell cheese territory. 3 years is OTT but I find it hard to have much sympathy.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
No, but my reply was in response to a comment about what you'd expect to receive if you did it in a pub or town centre.

Its the usual overkill because it was football. In certain people's eyes we are scum because we attend a game. I am not condoning the actions of these guys but yet again the sentence is OTT.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Three year ban from a 1 mile radius of Brighton station and the Amex, not allowed in London during a London away game and must hand in their passport whenever England play away... Yea that seems like a fair punishment for a bit harmless fun...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Spoilsport. Much better story that they were just having a sing song and luzzing lager.

1) Neither of you have read what rippleman and happypig are talking about.

2) It's pretty standard for coppers to throw in an "assault on a police officer" charge if you resist arrest. It just means the guy didn't go quietly, it's a serious charge so if he'd really assaulted the OB he would've been looking at a harsh punishment.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just out of interest, has anyone on here been either in the Amex concourse or at an away game when the beer throwing starts. It's not funny when you are innocently enjoying the atmosphere and a pint comes flying at you. Soaking wet and smelly for the rest of the day. Still admit 3 years is OTT.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
1) Neither of you have read what rippleman and happypig are talking about.

2) It's pretty standard for coppers to throw in an "assault on a police officer" charge if you resist arrest. It just means the guy didn't go quietly, it's a serious charge so if he'd really assaulted the OB he would've been looking at a harsh punishment.

I have. I also read the article and what the caseworker for the Football Supporters' Federation said.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
1)

What you describe would be the "lesser" charge of resisting arrest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here