Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you carry or are considering carrying any self defense items?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
death-1.png

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Chances of it ever happening are minute.....blah blah blah....why worry if your time's up it's up, no need to bother to try to prevent it..... blah blah blah......

I'm not talking about Stateside "must carry a Magnum to put a cap in your ass if you enter my property".....or let's bunker down for armageddon.... but it's not much effort to carry a tactical torch in your handbag/rucsac is it?

Why do people bother with self defense classes then? (how paranoid!) or basic emergency first aid training? (chances of walking past someone having a heart attack are probably "minute" aswell).

Just been thinking of a healthy balance and still wondering!

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I am certainly no self-defence expert, nor do I pretend to be. My personal logic tells me, however, that until I can know what the threat is, I can not reasonably work out what is an appropriate defence.
So, to consider the torch (as you have mentioned you are thinking about it).....

Modern day attacks all seem to have an element of surprise in their planning (no medieval lining up of big armies facing-off against each other across a short distance). So, your torch needs to be immediatelyavailable to be used. That, to me, means it has to be in your hand at all times, rather than in the bottom of a rucksack.
It then has to be effective. I doubt it will be very effective in daylight, other than drawing attention to yourself - although I have never seen one of these things. If that is the case, it further limits it's effectiveness for the majority of the time that the average Brit is commuting to / from London.

If you plan to be walking the streets in the dark, what kind of attack will the torch protect you from? A bomb? No. A gun? No. A car / van? Highly unlikely. A one-on-one assault by an assailant with a knife / machete? Maybe, if you can get to it before you are attacked, if it is a dark place and the sudden light can be effective in disorientating the attacker (as opposed to drawing attention to yourself in a crowd) - but then you have to hope it is a single attacker, as you will not be able to dazzle 2, 3, 4 at once?

Can't say that I would bother with a torch, myself.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sandals must be worn without socks

Half of these in-the-home deaths (1,500) are people falling over – and, of these, between five and ten each year take place when people are trying to put on socks.

http://thackara.com/mobility-design/if-the-terrorists-dont-get-you-your-socks-will/

As part of a new dress code, moccasins or sandals must be worn without socks.
https://www.voanews.com/a/do-not-wear-socks-hot-pakistanis-told-amid-power-crisis/1664426.html

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I know what I'm doing in the event of being confronted by a knife-wielding maniac - setting a new world record for the 100 metres. As it's about as likely as being struck by lightning, I won't be worrying about it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It then has to be effective. I doubt it will be very effective in daylight, other than drawing attention to yourself - although I have never seen one of these things. If that is the case, it further limits it's effectiveness for the majority of the time that the average Brit is commuting to / from London.

i would question how effective these "tactical torches" would be in open space with ambient street lights even at night, unless at close range. i think they are something people seen in TV when SWAT teams storm a building.

from a previous life as a doorman, best tactical torch is a 4D Maglite

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Ideally, if I didn't shit my pants and get decapitated I'd grab a fire extinguisher. Most places have one to hand - usually propping a door open or just behind one, or if it has a kitchen then look there.

I wouldn't bother with melee weapons as I'm sure they've had more practise. Instead I'd try to blind them with whatever was inside the fire extinguisher and then either let the Millwall fan go about his business or just flatten their head with it.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Which is why I've always believed, if the moment ever occurs, I just need to trip the person up next to me and keep running.

hahaha when the zombie apocalypse comes I'll be steering well clear of you!!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ideally, if I didn't shit my pants and get decapitated I'd grab a fire extinguisher. Most places have one to hand - usually propping a door open or just behind one, or if it has a kitchen then look there.

I wouldn't bother with melee weapons as I'm sure they've had more practise. Instead I'd try to blind them with whatever was inside the fire extinguisher and then either let the Millwall fan go about his business or just flatten their head with it.

Good shout I was thinking that about the people in the pubs and restaurants, a fire extinguisher is a good weapon as are bottles, pots and pans even knives.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I carry a potato peeler.

It can easily work like a knife plus it also peels potatoes. The British version of the Swiss-army knife. Bring it on!

That sounds like a letter to "TOP TIPS" in Viz. :) (Maybe it is)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I carry a copy of The Times and my umbrella. Never without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being serious for a moment, you could probably do a lot of damage with the umbrella (I am assuming that it is the standard black one not the one that is folded up).

If running it may be a good ideal to jettison The Times.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Being serious for a moment, you could probably do a lot of damage with the umbrella (I am assuming that it is the standard black one not the one that is folded up).

It is a gentlemen's umbrella.

Why would I jettison The Times? I need something to read whilst I'm dealing with ruffians. Or are you suggesting the FT as an alternative?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Why would I jettison The Times? I need something to read whilst I'm dealing with ruffians. Or are you suggesting the FT as an alternative?

No Hamilton, that is a valid point. keep The Times. Never did John Steed any harm.

I hope Emma Peel and Purdey are keeping well. :)

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
A Kubotan Keychain. Legal, Easy to learn to use and very effective.
:wrong:

Sorry, not legal at all. I was stopped once and shown, by armed police, the Home Office list of things that are listed as offensive weapons, and 'Kubitan" was on it. I tried to explain that you could not have an object less offensive than a Kubitan but still received an official caution which has given me a criminal record for 'possession of an offensive weapon'. Bit shit really because that could mean hammer, crowbar, bat etc, not 6 inch piece of wood on a key ring. Be advised.

Last edited:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Millwall brick and a 3ft spear. The gentleman's choice. :thumbsup:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

A newspaper can be a very good weapon, rolled tightly with a stabbing action it would be very solid the similar to a piece of wood or bar and would inflict a lot of damage and pain, enough to subdued them.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Aren't you statistically more likely to be trampled to death by a donkey, or hit by lightning?

Surely we need to be safeguarding against greater risks first, then looking at more minor ones?
I always wear rubber soles and carry a carrot to throw for this very reason
Your best defense is to be aware and actually look about you.

To a certain respect like going to away matches in the 80's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here