Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham's group sold final piece of land to build new MLS stadium in Miami

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Wow... just WOW ! can't wait to get my felt tips and crayons out and start designing their uniform !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure this is really a "fatal flaw" is it? It's just the way it is there. The big advantage is that if you're pìssed off that your owner/chairman isn't doing his job properly, you can safely walk away in the knowledge that you'll be able to come back once he's fcked off.

Although this brings me to the REAL fatal flaw with US sports - that owners can get taxpayers to pony up for a new stadium, then threaten to just up sticks and move elsewhere if they don't chip in for a shiny new $500m stadium 15 years later.

Granted, the lack of a promotion / relegation aspect isn't a "fatal flaw" from a USA perspective, as their major sports have always thrived without it. Its just not in their sports culture, I guess you won't miss what you've never had. I just find it a bit of a turn-off personally. I love watching MLB, but I must admit, following a team that is trundling along in 4th or 5th, a MILE off the pace for a crack at the playoffs with more than half a season still to go and nothing really to play for, can get very ho-hum.

I appreciate that's just the way their sport is structured though. The sheer size of the country also dictates that for practical reasons, the divisions need to be regionalised as well, which promotion / relegation would not work with.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
So are a lot of National League sides. The quality of the league means a great deal.

Sorry, I missed off the smiley.

Rent-a-crowd well drilled here. DB welcomed on stage to chants of "Walking in a Beckham wonderland".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've watched quite a bit of the MLS (Seattle Sounders being my team) and although it's clearly improving, it's still pretty shit. Sort of bottom of the Championship / decent League 1 standard but with added drum banging, loud hailers and completely organised chanting and flag waving. Like a higher quality Crystal Palace but played in great stadiums instead of a decrepit, piss stinking cowshed filled with muppet chavs.

Difficult to get excited about really but I hope it continues to improve. The potential in the US is clearly massive with the population, the facilities and the emphasis on sport in schools and colleges. Maybe we could get a feeder club....... Miami and Aventura Albion FC.

:laugh:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Sorry, I missed off the smiley.

Rent-a-crowd well drilled here. DB welcomed on stage to chants of "Walking in a Beckham wonderland".

I missed the carsasm.

I may be naive but I really think there are incredibly "football/futbol hungry" fans in Miami and that is not a rent-a-crowd.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I may be naive but I really think there are incredibly "football/futbol hungry" fans in Miami and that is not a rent-a-crowd.

For sure. Great they're all sitting in a corner, spontaneously signing in Spanish for the CEO (!) and in English for Beckham.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"We're going to have drums, chants, pre-game, post-game, a march to the stadium!"

I'm out.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I wonder how much Beckham is really putting into this?

There’s lots of references to “investors” and he doesn’t seem to have spent a huge amount of time in the city. Everything he seems to do these days is style over substance and closely managed by Simon Fuller.

In theory Miami should be a great place for an MLS franchise - with its huge Hispanic population but it’s just never happened. Might go thecwY of his awful wife’s “fashion design” business

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wonder how much Beckham is really putting into this?

There’s lots of references to “investors” and he doesn’t seem to have spent a huge amount of time in the city. Everything he seems to do these days is style over substance and closely managed by Simon Fuller.

In theory Miami should be a great place for an MLS franchise - with its huge Hispanic population but it’s just never happened. Might go thecwY of his awful wife’s “fashion design” business

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He'll be the face of it and have some investment but it'll be VC backed or similar. A bit like Salford was with the Class of 92. Singapore-based Peter Lim owns 50% of the club - and also Valencia which is why Gary Neville got the job there. But no-one talks about Lim, just the others.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Is Beckham daily being tattooed with a countdown date on an a previously untattooed area of his body ? Poor David, must be hell being out of the news.

Couldn't grow a proper beard to save his life

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here