Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to abolish single faith schools

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
yes. keep religion out of education, also removing RE and replacing with Philosophy lessons

Zut alors. I nearly agree with you. Religious schools should go, especially if it reduces choice, but you're being a tad too revolutionary in eliminating RE, which should be taught from an historical perspective.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Education and religion should be entirely separated. In many rural villages, the primary school is C of E, and it is just wrong that kids of other faiths should either have to fit in with it or go elsewhere. Education should be a service - it is just fundamentally archaic to have them tied to a single religion. Even in the bible-thumping USA, they mandate the separation of public education and religion. Part of the problem of doing it here is that the Church Commission own many of the school buildings.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My children went to a CoE and I was very happy with the schooling they received. It's my choice and my right as their parent, not yours, on how they are schooled.

Why do you want to abolish choice? My grandchildren are not Catholic, but do go to a Catholic school. Therefore they are integrating with different beliefs.

Is the salient point not the choice of the parent, but the fact a faith school can have admission criteria based on faith and therefore choose its pupils whereas state schools (other than grammars) cannot?

My issue is not essentially with the faith of the school, it is their ability to choose and select based on the faith of the kids. I don't think that is right.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
My niece went to Newman and she was shocked when she found out that her teacher hated the Royal family. That is stepping over the line as a teacher and I was shocked to hear this. On that basis it’s a reason why faith schools are bad because political beliefs still rise to the surface even at a reputable school like Newman.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is the salient point not the choice of the parent, but the fact a faith school can have admission criteria based on faith and therefore choose its pupils whereas state schools (other than grammars) cannot?

My issue is not essentially with the faith of the school, it is their ability to choose and select based on the faith of the kids. I don't think that is right.
And? As long as faith schools are offered alongside state schools then what's the problem?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

As I pointed out earlier, two of my grandchildren go to a Catholic school, but are not Catholic, so the criteria wasn't applied.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And? As long as faith schools are offered alongside state schools then what's the problem?

Fairness? Why shouldn't every child have equal opportunity to go to that school?

The system is exploited to ridiculous lengths of non-religious parents dragging their kids to church for the previous 6 to 12 months so that they get a place ahead of another child.

Especially primary school kids, why should a kid age 4 or 5 have their choice of school determined by their parents faith?

A state school should be a state school with access for all. I don't believe in Grammars for the same reason. Each child should have equal opportunity to choose their school.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As I pointed out earlier, two of my grandchildren go to a Catholic school, but are not Catholic, so the criteria wasn't applied.

But you accept that in many cases that the faith school could have picked a child of faith ahead of your grandchild, so that one child has a more favourable opportunity over another.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Fairness? Why shouldn't every child have equal opportunity to go to that school?

The system is exploited to ridiculous lengths of non-religious parents dragging their kids to church for the previous 6 to 12 months so that they get a place ahead of another child.

Especially primary school kids, why should a kid age 4 or 5 have their choice of school determined by their parents faith?

A state school should be a state school with access for all. I don't believe in Grammars for the same reason. Each child should have equal opportunity to choose their school.
Tough titty!

If the schools offer broadly the same standard then there's no problem because the ones who want a faith school go there and the ones who don't go elsewhere.

If the standards in faith schools is lower then you won't want to send your child there if the criteria is excellence and if the faith schools are demonstrably better then instead of trying to dumb it down, it would be better to ask why faith schools are better and why you're trying to close them.

It seems to me that it's not about choice but ideology.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
My children went to a CoE and I was very happy with the schooling they received. It's my choice and my right as their parent, not yours, on how they are schooled.

Schooled yes, but should faith not be left to the Church or the parent rather than the state.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Faith schools are there to promote their own faith, it should be seen no further than that. Arguements may be placed for and against but an islamic school will not promote chritianity, we need to wake up in this country, this subject should not be off lmit for for fear of being branded a racist or zenophobic. By definition faith schools segregate, how can it be seen in any other way?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
yes. keep religion out of education, also removing RE and replacing with Philosophy lessons

I think it would be called "Critical Thinking", which is philosophy dressed up in more easily digestible clothes as far as I can work out...... nothing wrong with that.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Zut alors. I nearly agree with you. Religious schools should go, especially if it reduces choice, but you're being a tad too revolutionary in eliminating RE, which should be taught from an historical perspective.

In the National Curriculum, RE includes the basics of all the major faiths, I believe.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But you accept that in many cases that the faith school could have picked a child of faith ahead of your grandchild, so that one child has a more favourable opportunity over another.

It's such a popular and successful school there is a waiting list. They still got in. People having favourable opportunities is life, it happens in all spheres, including the work place.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tough titty!

If the schools offer broadly the same standard then there's no problem because the ones who want a faith school go there and the ones who don't go elsewhere.

If the standards in faith schools is lower then you won't want to send your child there if the criteria is excellence and if the faith schools are demonstrably better then instead of trying to dumb it down, it would be better to ask why faith schools are better and why you're trying to close them.

It seems to me that it's not about choice but ideology.

Tough titty does seem to be an ideology for many unfortunately.

Do you believe faith schools are better? I haven't suggested closing them in anything I have said so far, all I've questioned is their ability to set their own admissions criteria.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Once again. It's none of your business how I choose to educate my children.

With respect, I said schooled yes, leaving you free to send your children wherever you want to be educated.

However. you have not provided a response as to why you believe that the state should offer single faith schools. Given that faith is a personal choice I was merely suggesting that should be outside of the state school system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here