Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson interview on R4 Today this morning

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He's an absolute child. The spat he had the other day with Labour MP was embarrassing. Wish he'd crawl away from the political
Scene. As the OP says, car crash interview. Guy is an idiot and a dangerous one.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I disagree. All the Police chiefs Ive seen critiquing the cuts have said that since 2010 policing has become almost entirely reactive and they don't have the resources or man power to act on bits of information given to them by members of the public etc. Its all very well saying counter terrorism measure have been improved but if the front line police feel they are too stretched to pass or act on information then that is a very serous issue. Many serving Police officers have said this, so unless you know better than them I would suggest you are completely wrong and May has serous questions to answer.

Anyone arguing with a word of this is in denial, or a moron.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Johnson Foreign Secretary, Fallon Defence Secretary....we're in safe hands.

As an aside, how good is Krishnan Guru-Murthy as an interviewer? I thought the dropping in of the Johnson quote as a continuation of the Corbyn quote was a masterful piece of interviewing where he not once had to get aggressive in a Paxman style way.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I disagree. All the Police chiefs Ive seen critiquing the cuts have said that since 2010 policing has become almost entirely reactive and they don't have the resources or man power to act on bits of information given to them by members of the public etc. Its all very well saying counter terrorism measure have been improved but if the front line police feel they are too stretched to pass or act on information then that is a very serous issue. Many serving Police officers have said this, so unless you know better than them I would suggest you are completely wrong and May has serous questions to answer.

That's a big if. As far as I am aware there has been no causal link between lack of Police numbers being a factor in any of these successful recent attacks (unless you know better). The Police and security services did have the information on at least one of these terrorists it's how they dealt with it. Not criticising them by the way they have a fiendishly difficult job prioritising the potential threat. I would think assessing the threat would be a job for counter terrorism police/security services departments which have seen increased funding.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyone arguing with a word of this is in denial, or a moron.

Nope, I can't agree with that. Lord Carlile, who acted from 2001 to 2011 as the UK's Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation, was quoted yesterday as follows:

Lord Carlile said:
The cuts in community policing are a legitimate issue to bring up in an Election but they are nothing to do with terrorism.

I tend to agree. Let's have the debate on police numbers, but not the opportunistic linking of this to terrorism. We have never had bobbies on every street corner, ready to deal with terrorist threats and never will.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Johnson Foreign Secretary, Fallon Defence Secretary....we're in safe hands.

As an aside, how good is Krishnan Guru-Murthy as an interviewer? I thought the dropping in of the Johnson quote as a continuation of the Corbyn quote was a masterful piece of interviewing where he not once had to get aggressive in a Paxman style way.

another one who should not be let out on his own

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Nope, I can't agree with that. Lord Carlile, who acted from 2001 to 2011 as the UK's Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation, was quoted yesterday as follows:

I tend to agree. Let's have the debate on police numbers, but not the opportunistic linking of this to terrorism. We have never had bobbies on every street corner, ready to deal with terrorist threats and never will

it is about bobbies on the beat gleaning information to pass up, the more of them the more information they get.
its called community policing

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
it is about bobbies on the beat gleaning information to pass up, the more of them the more information they get.
its called community policing

Exactly this. Watch this clip of an ex Community Policeman of the year warning May directly about exactly this a few years ago. Chilling to watch now. She has blood on her hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013

I tend to agree. Let's have the debate on police numbers, but not the opportunistic linking of this to terrorism. We have never had bobbies on every street corner, ready to deal with terrorist threats and never will.

Who's to say he's right. Just because he had a job with a fancy title doesn't mean he's correct on this.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Of course we've never had 'bobbies on every street corner', and it's missing the point.

It's about the whole concept of effective community policing. Of being the first in the line of ensuring the state is there to protect you as best as possible. Of the community having someone to turn to in times of trouble or concern. Of having a member of the police to know what's going on in communities - not just on a terrorist level, but on a petty crime level; on a social concern level; on a public safety level and so on...

The police services themselves are supposed to be politically neutral (not individuals of course - the service as a whole), so if they are saying they're missing gathering vital information due to lack of resources, who is anyone else to counter that? Certainly the Home Secretary from 2010-16 doesn't have that answer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When she called him out and put him under pressure to answer her question on him also voting against anti terror legislation, he carefully responded with her full name, making sure everyone heard 'Hussein'. He really is a vile piece of work.
Is it possible he was saying her full name to slow down his reply to give himself time to think of how to reply?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nope, you're the one missing the point. The point *I* am making is that the 20,000 police cuts have nothing to do with terrorist prevention, according to the former independent reviewer of terrorism policy. If you ask me whether cutting numbers this drastically is a good idea, well I agree with your point of view.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nope, you're the one missing the point. The point *I* am making is that the 20,000 police cuts have nothing to do with terrorist prevention, according to the former independent reviewer of terrorism policy. If you ask me whether cutting numbers this drastically is a good idea, well I agree with your point of view.

Meanwhile, a former SIO for the Met ('believe me, he's no lefty' - Own Jones), someone who had to deal with crime in all forms on a daily basis, fundamentally disagrees.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Meanwhile, a former SIO for the Met ('believe me, he's no lefty' - Own Jones), someone who had to deal with crime in all forms on a daily basis, fundamentally disagrees.
Policeman in "cutting police numbers is bad" shock. :rolleyes:

As I say, I agree that cutting 20,000 officers is absurd for many reasons. BUT if an independent ombudsman of ten years with no axe to grind either way believes specifically it is not a fundamental reason for better terrorism​ prevention, I'd be inclined to agree with him.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Exactly this. Watch this clip of an ex Community Policeman of the year warning May directly about exactly this a few years ago. Chilling to watch now. She has blood on her hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says it is a private video apparently

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Policeman in "cutting police numbers is bad" shock. :rolleyes:

As I say, I agree that cutting 20,000 officers is absurd for many reasons. BUT if an independent ombudsman of ten years with no axe to grind either way believes specifically it is not a fundamental reason for better terrorism​ prevention, I'd be inclined to agree with him.

He was a independent reviewer of legislation in the House of Lords, where he sat as a Lib Dem Lord. In other words, he looked at terrorism from the legal end.

He's offering a political opinion, rather than an operational one. I'll more go with the verdict of the people at the sharp end.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

The argument isn't really about having bobbies on every street corner to prevent terrorists, it is about the gap between reports of radicalisation and the follow up intelligence, which is typically local policing led. in the first instance there is a need to screen genuine cases of concern from malicious accusations and the question is, are there sufficient officers to do this quickly and effectively.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here