Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Ryan - SIGNED FOR CLUB RECORD TRANSFER FEE

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
6m euros is a lot of money to spend on a reserve goalkeeper. Suggests that Stockdale is leaving which is a real shame. Good player and a big miss on and off the pitch.

I hope Ryan is decent but it makes me uneasy when his best attribute is said to be distribution. No gk's best attribute should be distribution. Still since Hughton's been here we've only got it wrong once (Elvis) in the transfer market. Hopefully he's a fantastic keeper that also has fantastic distribution.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Naylor has picked up on it now, but he can't confirm it yet on whether we have agreed a £5.2m fee.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
6m euros is a lot of money to spend on a reserve goalkeeper. Suggests that Stockdale is leaving which is a real shame. Good player and a big miss on and off the pitch.

I hope Ryan is decent but it makes me uneasy when his best attribute is said to be distribution. No gk's best attribute should be distribution. Still since Hughton's been here we've only got it wrong once (Elvis) in the transfer market. Hopefully he's a fantastic keeper that also has fantastic distribution.

I would say it's more Ben Robert's decision than Hughton's. Obviously CH would have the final say.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

You wouldn't win goalkeeper of the year two years running in a decent European League and then have Valencia sign you to super long 6 year contract if you were just bog average.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I would say it's more Ben Robert's decision than Hughton's. Obviously CH would have the final say.

Good point. Either way we've done remarkably well with our transfer business in the last two years so hopefully this continues that trend.

You wouldn't win goalkeeper of the year two years running in a decent European League and then have Valencia sign you to super long 6 year contract if you were just bog average.

Fair points. I'm just a little uneasy when a gk's main selling point is his distribution. Hopefully someone can come along and give us a proper breakdown of his actual goalkeeping ability to put my mind at rest.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

There was a bit in the Argus the other day suggesting that Albion would have 3 keepers, not including Walton (who would go out on loan). So assuming Ryan and Maenpaa sign, we would still be looking for another keeper (Stockdale if he signs or AN Other).

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
For the reported fee and the fact that he probably would have had others choices I can't see him coming here to warm the bench. Gut feel and nothing more taking into account the article saying 3 keepers is that it will be Ryan, the Finn and a.n other but that a.n.other not being stockdale.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
May explain why (if) we only offered Stockdale a 1 year deal.
We see Ryan as his long term replacement / competition for next year (25 years of age).
Would we still go for Ruddy on a free transfer as experienced back - up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here