Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Ryan - SIGNED FOR CLUB RECORD TRANSFER FEE

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As poor as Ryan was it's hard to imagine any combination of Albion centre backs being quite so shitehouse and lightweight.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Anguissa had too much pace for the Aussie defender. Vardy v Dunk scenario. Although I think Shilton might have saved it. I can't see how Ryan was at fault. He could done a Schumacher and taken the player out?

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
I suspect he was criticised for not coming out quickly enough for the third goal v Germany so decided to race off his line against Cameroon - bad decision as got caught in No Man's Land.

As I said earlier, his biggest flaw is that he can be too adventurous off his line. It's better than not adventurous enough.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I'm not confident he's the finished article but have faith that the team who know a lot about keepers have seen the potential and reckon he can do a job now compared to other options AND improve with regular games and training.

Have the faith (not like this 100% of the time with new players but I can see some raw aspects I really like about him so reckon it's along these lines with him).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not confident he's the finished article but have faith that the team who know a lot about keepers have seen the potential and reckon he can do a job now compared to other options AND improve with regular games and training.

Have the faith (not like this 100% of the time with new players but I can see some raw aspects I really like about him so reckon it's along these lines with him).

Agreed - finished article for PL would cost a lot more than £5m. Coaching team did a pretty good job with Stockdale, sure they'll do the same with Mat. 'He'll be right'.........as I think they say.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Rush Goalie

Chile v Australia
FIFA Confederations Cup 2017 Group Stage
1530 kick off 16:00
ITV4 / ITV4 HD

Better be stranded in no man's land than rushing out and getting injured!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
From the Guardian MBM - Vidal side foots the ball into that eternally open space between Australia’s centre and left back, but unlike the Cameroon scenario where Ryan unwisely rushed out, this time he stays put and Sainsbury covers the onrushing Vargas. Evolution!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I see Valencia are planning to spend the money they got for Ryan on Arsenal's fourth goalkeeper as his replacement.

That is very telling indeed.

It's going to be an interesting season for us that's for sure.

If his 3 Confederations Cup games are anything to go by then I suspect we might be in for some heart stopping moments. Loves coming off his line, loves a punch and parry and so eager to distribute quickly that some of those quick passes had a tendency to go astray at times.

I've only seen these three games and the context is quite different to what he'll have with us, so impossible to form a proper judgement. Here's hoping he turns out to be a gem for us and hits the ground running. Time will tell as ever.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If Ryan is as good as Stockdale we'll be ok, If he's worse than Maenpaa then no problem as he won't be first choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here