Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Ryan - SIGNED FOR CLUB RECORD TRANSFER FEE

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My brother-in-law lives in Valencia and is a season ticket holder at the Mastella.

Ryan started last season as No.2 to Diego Alves but quickly dropped to third choice.

The word my brother-in-law used to describe him was 'flakey'

So your brother in law lives in Valencia. And that qualifies him to come up with that Assessment, even although he only played 10 games for Valencia. And lets just say 5 of them were away games and I am assuming for the purposes of this post he saw all his home games and didn't travel to the away matches. That means he saw him 5 times.

Your brother in law is entitled to make that assessment of him; however, having spoken to someone who analysed hours and hours of his matches and had gone to watch him came up with

''Not overly tall for a keeper but he comes for crosses, commands his area and is extremely agile''.

So whilst I don't doubt your brothers assessment I have a feeling he spends more of his time dancing Tango in Tapas Bars in Valencia than he does going to football matches.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Just watched his interview. It's as if someone merged Duffy and Dunk and gave him an Aussie accent.

Question 1: Does he use upspeak? (His pitch heightens at the end of a sentence as if he is asking a question when he is not).

Question 2: Does he answer each question with the word 'look' Aussie cricket team style?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Question 1: Does he use upspeak? (His pitch heightens at the end of a sentence as if he is asking a question when he is not).

Question 2: Does he answer each question with the word 'look' Aussie cricket team style?

Ah the rising inflection has a new 'name'.

It's extremely irritating.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Interesting comment on BBC transfers website (where we are 3rd in the league)

"The lads had a trial with Spurs a few years back and we left it too late to sign him on a free. He's a very good keeper and a brilliant signing for Brighton. Genuinely hope he shows how good he is (except against Spurs)"

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ah the rising inflection has a new 'name'.

It's extremely irritating.

I think 'rising inflection' is the newer name. It was upspeak when I was doing a linguistics degree in the 90's.

Let's compromise and call it a 'high rising terminal (HRT)'. I think that's the contemporary terminology.

And yes - I find it profoundly annoying too!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Interesting comment on BBC transfers website (where we are 3rd in the league)

"The lads had a trial with Spurs a few years back and we left it too late to sign him on a free. He's a very good keeper and a brilliant signing for Brighton. Genuinely hope he shows how good he is (except against Spurs)"

You can choose the spin you like from comments on that site: try "at least he will be used to going down ( under )" "Club Record Fee? I didn't know they still did luncheon vouchers" "A small club like Brighton need to spend their money more wisely"

Alternatively:

"This is an amazing signing. Has the potential to be a top keeper." "I genuinely feel that Brighton will shock a few people next season with how they perform." "Ryan is a great signing and expect to see a good return on him." "Brighton will win the Premier League. You heard it here first."

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So your brother in law lives in Valencia. And that qualifies him to come up with that Assessment, even although he only played 10 games for Valencia. And lets just say 5 of them were away games and I am assuming for the purposes of this post he saw all his home games and didn't travel to the away matches. That means he saw him 5 times.

Your brother in law is entitled to make that assessment of him; however, having spoken to someone who analysed hours and hours of his matches and had gone to watch him came up with

''Not overly tall for a keeper but he comes for crosses, commands his area and is extremely agile''.

So whilst I don't doubt your brothers assessment I have a feeling he spends more of his time dancing Tango in Tapas Bars in Valencia than he does going to football matches.

Easy Tiger - All his brother in law said was 'That piece of Halibut was good enough for Jehovah !'

(Personally, i'd back our recruitment team over his brother in law, albeit less vociferously :wink: )

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Ah now - come on -

Do you not think that Valencia supporters discuss football and their team in the same depth as you and others supporters here do?

Now - what I have heard is that Ryan is not a bad goalkeeper - but Diego Alves is not exactly a world beater in goal. Valencia have a young goalie that they think a lot of and he moved past Ryan in the pecking order easily enough, Ryan was sent to Genk to get him in the shop window to try and move him on. It is not particularly good to see a mid-table team in Spain trying to sell their reserve goalie - but it could be because they didn't want him to inhibit the development of the young guy. I would have been more impressed if Hughton had to fight to get a guy that a team wanted to keep. Then again it is not easy find a goalie at a decent price that can play in the PL.

Now - he can do a lot of things well - but what I have been told is that he is inconsistent. I do hope that he turns out to be very good - but the brother-in-law wasn't particularly impressed.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I hope he's better than Stockdale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We all hope this of course but had Stockwell been under contract and was sold to a prem club, how much do you think he'd gone for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here