Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Ryan - SIGNED FOR CLUB RECORD TRANSFER FEE

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Why would we need cover when we are not playing

Australia have qualified for the 2019 Asian Cup that runs through out January and into early February, so if Ryan was called up for that he'll possibly be away for 6 weeks.

There could also be concerns if Australia play on the Wednesday evening of a international break; as he won't begin the commute back to the Thursday. If we're playing on the Saturday then there's not much time between him getting back into the UK and us having to play.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Australia have qualified for the 2019 Asian Cup that runs through out January and into early February, so if Ryan was called up for that he'll possibly be away for 6 weeks.

There could also be concerns if Australia play on the Wednesday evening of a international break; as he won't begin the commute back to the Thursday. If we're playing on the Saturday then there's not much time between him getting back into the UK and us having to play.

That's the sort of reason that prem clubs have 3 keepers like Hughton wants

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
As Bruno proved when we signed Rosenior - not impossible that existing keepers (if both sign) up their game accordingly.

Bruno has been on one year contracts for last three or four years - every year he had just got better and made a new contract inevitable

Much the same with Sidwell really - went from odd sub appearance when on loan to key player last season

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Majority of the Asian qualifiers also coincide with the European ones. Example is England playing on the 1st and 4th of September, whereas Australia have matches on 31st August and 5th Sept. Only real difficulty is the added travelling back time and possibly the time difference that may have an effect on a players performance.

The 2019 Asian Cup is scheduled to take place from 5th January though to 1st February, so if Ryan was involved in that he'll also probably miss the Christmas fixtures of the 18/19 season also.

Australia play quite a few games in Europe as well I believe?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I would much prefer Ryan to Stockdale. Having seen a few games of his over the past couple of seasons, he is much more agile and athletic than Stockers. My one criticism of Stockers is that he is slightly heavy-set for a top-level keeper and struggles to get down to shots as fast as we are going to need in the PL.

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
Not expected to start tonight. Probably Langerak (Stuttgart) to start with Vukovic (Sydney FC) getting minutes also.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I love Stocko, but sometimes when high balls go into the box there doesn't seem to be too much communication with the central defenders. Just saying.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Who according to sky Everton have agreed a £30million fee for!

Edit: I'll just repeat what you have already posted shall I?

Probably worth it too. When you think of how important a good goalkeeper is, it's surprising that they don't command bigger fees than they do. Clough signed Shilton from Stoke for £250,000 in 1977 (three years after he'd been sold for £325,000, a world record for a keeper at the time) and he conceded only 18 goals and Forest won the league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here