Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar World Cup In Doubt?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
This has been rumoured for a week or so – most of the expats I knew in Doha have lost their jobs in the past few days.

Qataris have 14 days to get out of the UAE. Thereafter they won't even be allowed to transit through Dubai or Abu Dhabi airports on their way to somewhere else. Etihad has just pulled all its flights to Doha, starting from tomorrow.

Qatar imports huge amounts of its food etc from Saudi – all the ports, roads and airports have been shut this morning between the two countries.

Serious shit going down here today!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
This is huge news. I hadn't even realised that there was any division within that group of countries.
I'm sure the political situation will escalate with none of the countries wanting to back down.
It will certainly put a question mark against the tournament and highlight the corruption of how they were awarded the tournament in the first place.
Fascinating stuff.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
This is much bigger than just the World Cup.

Qatar risks being completely isolated out here.

It's fair to say that it's been an interesting day so far...

The Optimist

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I'm due to transfer at Doha on Saturday. Fly in with BA and out with Qatar Airways. Should I be worried?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I expect FIFA will have a revised bribe level to cover this sort of eventuality.

Be a few gold-plated Mercedes heading out this week...

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm due to transfer at Doha on Saturday. Fly in with BA and out with Qatar Airways. Should I be worried?

Interesting one as BA codeshare with Qatar........all QA flights through Dubai and Abu Dhabi apparently cancelled already. Hope your plans don't get too messed up.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Now up to 5 countries with the addition of Yemen.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Now up to 5 countries with the addition of Yemen.

No brainer, given the amounts of cash the UAE govt is shovelling to Yemen at the moment! Allegedly etc.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I don't envisage any problem, British Airways and Qatar Airways code share with each other, and are fellow members of the One World alliance. You aren't travelling to or via any country that has severed it's links with Qatar, so you should be ok.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
Saudi Arabia severing ties because of links to terrorism.

You couldn't make this shit up.

In other news, Millwall's supporters have condemned the recent violence at the Olympic Stadium....

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
FIFA will do nothing the Qatar world cup is 5 years away. They will probably say that football can bring peace and no need to consider moving.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Given that England didn't apply to host the tournament, and the US came second in the vote for WC2022, I suspect that's unlikely.

True but i think we would have good chance of winning if there was another bidding process seeing as we have most of the infrastructure required.

USA 2022 would also be great tbh

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Your QR leg could well be delayed or rescheduled.

They're now not allowed to fly through airspace belonging to these nations, which is going to make it very hard for them to maintain the existing schedule - given that most QR flights use UAE and KSA airspace.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
True but i think we would have good chance of winning if there was another bidding process seeing as we have most of the infrastructure required.

USA 2022 would also be great tbh

Yup, USA are certainly prepared for it, although there is the issue of Trump's travel ban to deal with.

Having worked for the Qataris the stadia construction projects are amazing, but there's little legacy benefit.

If FIFA are genuine about taking the WC to new frontiers, then Australia would be a logical choice, they bid for the and it would fit in with a summer tournament too weather-wise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here