Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would having armed Police on the streets of The United Kingdom stop the terrorists?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yes an armed police officer arrives quicker than the 8 minutes, but it hasn't stopped the attack and the terrorists still achieve their ultimate aim of martyrdom.

Though the 'martyrdom' bit is only something that they get to imagine.

The thing is that pillocks like these will always find some excuse for fulfilling their derranged fantasies, and this particular flavour of Islam is just the excuse of the moment. It'll be something else before too long...

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Though the 'martyrdom' bit is only something that they get to imagine.

The thing is that pillocks like these will always find some excuse for fulfilling there derranged fantasies, and this particular flavour of Islam is just the excuse of the moment. It'll be something else before too long...

Saying it's of the moment shows how knowledgable you are. Or should I say aren't. Might I suggest starting with Robert Fisks the battle for civilisation? Bitter Lake by Adam Curtis? Any from a mountain of articles and books on Islamic extremism since the 1980s. Christ, I remember discussing it my then geography classes. It's centuries old! It will outlive both of us for sure and more than likely your grandkids.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Saying it's of the moment shows how knowledgable you are. Or should I say aren't. Might I suggest starting with Robert Fisks the battle for civilisation? Bitter Lake by Adam Curtis? Any from a mountain of articles and books on Islamic extremism since the 1980s. Christ, I remember discussing it my then geography classes. It's centuries old! It will outlive both of us for sure and more than likely your grandkids.

I never said the excuses couldn't be re-used! Any student of history will have noted mankinds remarkable ability to repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

As I said, pillocks.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I never said the excuses couldn't be re-used! Any student of history will have noted mankinds remarkable ability to repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

As I said, pillocks.

Amen to that!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Realistically it's not limitless, you're not going to bother with some campsite in Chipping Sodbury. You're talking the big cities, probably Brighton wouldn't be considered worth the bother, and not just because it's a relatively small population centre, but because it's not globally known in the way that London, Manchester, Birmingham or Glasgow are, and so the 'political' capital is less.

These guys will strike at any target that's within easy striking distance of their base. Why run the risk of carrying a bomb further than necessary. In the case of Brighton we already know that people have gone to Syria from here to fight for IS, so it's only a short step to planning an attack here. Brighton station would be a good place at about 2pm on the Saturday of a home game. Plenty of people go to the game with a rucksack and so the terrorist would not be sticking out. It's a scary thought.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
No.
The problem has to be tackled, first and foremost, from within the Muslim community. Too many blind eyes have been turned to what is going on within mosques, for too long. Many Muslims admit that they no longer attend because of what is being preached but choose to do nothing about it. They have been frightened to speak out and have allowed this to fester and grow. They choose to denounce and ignore, hoping it will go away and claim it has nothing to do with the peaceful religion of Islam.
The loudest shouting and clamouring for action is coming from outside the Muslim community and the general passivity of Mulims leads many, rightly or wrongly, to assume that there is a decent level of support for terrorist activity from within that community.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
These guys will strike at any target that's within easy striking distance of their base. Why run the risk of carrying a bomb further than necessary. In the case of Brighton we already know that people have gone to Syria from here to fight for IS, so it's only a short step to planning an attack here. Brighton station would be a good place at about 2pm on the Saturday of a home game. Plenty of people go to the game with a rucksack and so the terrorist would not be sticking out. It's a scary thought.

There has been a siege in Brighton, Melbourne with a gunman, known to the police, has served time for crimes previously. Kahre, from Somalia. It's not just in Europe or the Middle East.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here