Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lions Tour

Why should they change it ..no need ..simple ..so no 'cock up' as I see it

Atmosphere is as flat as a pancake, surely in sport this is wrong? Regardless of the rugby achievement which is real

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Brilliant series between 2 outstanding sides.

It's been a pleasure to follow the games throughout.

For either team to lose it would have been a travesty.

Perfect result.

Baudy saying both sets of players wanted extra time

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Because it took time to settle in ..a drawn series wrong? Sorry see that presentation at the end with both teams sitting with each other..great scenes

Lamie, I'm with you here.

Rugby's never been all about just winning - the fact that opposing supporters can drink openly in the stands and sit alongside each other distinguishes it from other sports.

That's before the amateur teams get together for a drink afterwards in the bar...

Despite all the criticism, the Lions came through away from home and didn't lose the series to a NZ side that's arguably the best team in world sport.

A fair end to a series that got better game by game to an epic conclusion.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sorry but they've just drawn against the All Blacks in an arena they haven't lost in for yonks ..great rugby let's not downplay this achievement

No you're right. Amazing entertainment and a wonderful achievement - but the game being played (on both sides) was not technically great.

Interesting the decision made to share the trophy - rugby does tend to adopt the cricketing/Ryder cup convention of retaining the trophy, most high profile being the Bledisloe cup between the anzacs. Lions get a break here

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The administrators have cocked up - you bet they will introduce extra time in future series decider tests

Only in a 'decider test'? That makes zero sense.

Say the first match had been drawn, rather than the last? You'd go into the last game with say NZ 1-0 up. If Lions win the last in 80 minutes, what then? Extra time to try to win by more? ET only of any point if it is in every test.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Take your point but we've had two world cups decided in extra time - I'd be amazed if there isn't some kind of rule change

Sometimes in sport a draw is not only a fair result but the right result. I have no problem with this outcome - the teams were evenly matched. Furthermore, I'll be annoyed if they tinker with the format in future to force force a decisive series result.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sometimes in sport a draw is not only a fair result but the right result. I have no problem with this outcome - the teams were evenly matched. Furthermore, I'll be annoyed if they tinker with the format in future to force force a decisive series result.

Today's match was as exciting as it can get and the right result. Two evenly matched teams that couldn't be split. What would extra time or sudden death have proved? Don't tinker

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Atmosphere is as flat as a pancake, surely in sport this is wrong? Regardless of the rugby achievement which is real

I disagree. As soon as the game had ended you had two sets of players confused with how to react to the result. We knew it was fair but they'd been so focused on winning the outcome of not winning threw everybody. The fact that not one person was happy with a draw is testament to the dedication and focus of both sides towards the end goal of winning the series. And the sportsmanship between Kieran Read and Warburton was exemplary.

saintquin

Apr 13, 2010
I disagree. As soon as the game had ended you had two sets of players confused with how to react to the result. We knew it was fair but they'd been so focused on winning the outcome of not winning threw everybody. The fact that not one person was happy with a draw is testament to the dedication and focus of both sides towards the end goal of winning the series. And the sportsmanship between Kieran Read and Warburton was exemplary.

It's a long tour and not losing to them isn't a bad result in itself but, if the Lions really wanted to win the series they should of gone for touch at the last penalty. Even if they failed I would have applauded the attempt. It would have been interesting to see what the Kiwis would have done in the same situation!
Thousand of fans paid millions of £s to be there and maybe they deserved them to give it a go!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here