Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celebrities/sportsmen/sportswomen in Unlikely Places

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I saw her a few times in there back then.

Price was always in the Middle Street bar, the Berlin Bar (formerly Heneky's) in the mid 1990's, always with a Gladiator.

As with Eubank, Gunnell, Zoe Ball and Norman Cook, I've been in pubs, supermarkets and all the usual places in Brighton to Shoreham, many times.

Sounds like most other Brightonians posting here, have too.

Nothing special.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Lemmy and the entire Hawkwind band and road crew plus naked dancer Stacia in the Wing Wah Chinese takeaway in Worthing having met them in the dressing room at the Assembly hall after their gig 30 mins earlier and having had Lemmy sign my North Stand silk scarf.

That is an encounter I would pay good money to have seen. Was Stacia still with Del Dettmar (Hawkwind synth player for those what don't know) or had she embarked on her long term project to make teenage boys aware of what their meat and two veg were for? :p

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Bloody hell! That is a cracking claim to fame. That was, I believe, their very first gig in the UK. I only ever saw the Wee Papa Girl Rappers at the Carioca.

Oh yes indeedy their very first but meant little to me at the time.
Also The Detroit Emeralds of ' Feel the need in me ' fame on their introductory tour on night and sat chatting with them , really nice guys .

I remember the posters for REM at the Carioca ... I didn't go because I had no idea who they were!
:down:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Bloody hell! That is a cracking claim to fame. That was, I believe, their very first gig in the UK. I only ever saw the Wee Papa Girl Rappers at the Carioca.

Pepsi and Shirley (of Wham fame) in the bar of Victoria Stakis hotel Nottingham

Axe in the car park of Remingtons nightclub Houston

Steve Foster in the cafe by Hove Station

Ann Margret in the Spindletop restaurant of the Holiday Inn Houston

Who is Axe?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Who is Axe?

They were a rock band based in Texas.

They were supporting Cheap Trick and Asia at the Summit Houston and one of my main reasons for attending - I was late for their act but I went to the nightclub after the show but got there as it was closing.

Axe were in this stretch limo in the car park and I had a conversation with them. They invited me to their hotel for God knows what sort of party but I declined as I was staying with a female friend living locally.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought this was about sportspeople in unlikely places but if you're talking celebrities, the most bizarre encounter I've had was in a Chinese restaurant in Chiswick. It was my then girlfriend's birthday and we'd been out having a few drinks and hadn't bothered to book anywhere. We turned up at the restaurant which wasn't exactly heaving, there was just one table occupied.

We sat down and then realised the group at the other table included Jimmy Ruffin. What's more: he overheard us talking about my girlfriend's birthday and came over to sing a song for her - it was all rather embarrassing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Carl Griffiths (yes that one from Orient) on holiday in Cyprus for a week

Peter Hook at the gym once or twice a week, remarkably good shape for a bloke in his 60's.

The Nolan Sisters on Breakfast TV, along with Brian and Michael (Matchstick Men and Dogs Number 1).

Johnny Marr at a party for an evening.

Morrissey in HMV in Manchester

Gary Numan asked me where to find a decent kebab

Robbie Savage on the train back from London to Manchester, he borrowed my phone charger.

Have taught Tony Adams, Glenn Roeder, Ashley Giles, Dieter Hamann, Steve Maclaren, Tony Mowbray, Lee Carsley, Paul Hart and quite a few others

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
They were a rock band based in Texas.

They were supporting Cheap Trick and Asia at the Summit Houston and one of my main reasons for attending - I was late for their act but I went to the nightclub after the show but got there as it was closing.

Axe were in this stretch limo in the car park and I had a conversation with them. They invited me to their hotel for God knows what sort of party but I declined as I was staying with a female friend living locally.

That's a long way to go for a gig! No wonder they invited you to their party :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Carl Griffiths (yes that one from Orient) on holiday in Cyprus for a week

Peter Hook at the gym once or twice a week, remarkably good shape for a bloke in his 60's.

The Nolan Sisters on Breakfast TV, along with Brian and Michael (Matchstick Men and Dogs Number 1).

Johnny Marr at a party for an evening.

Morrissey in HMV in Manchester

Gary Numan asked me where to find a decent kebab

Robbie Savage on the train back from London to Manchester, he borrowed my phone charger.

Have taught Tony Adams, Glenn Roeder, Ashley Giles, Dieter Hamann, Steve Maclaren, Tony Mowbray, Lee Carsley, Paul Hart and quite a few others

Does Hookie look too serious to chat with about his music?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Was on the dance floor at Home nightclub Leicester Sq with Harry Enfield at the after party of Kevin & Perry. Also at that gig I bumped into Denise Van Outen who was posing for the paparazzi near one of the dance floors. As I slid past I saw Jamiroqui and struck up a conversation but he was so pissed he just asked me to get him a drink so we could sit and have a chat. Although it was a free bar it was about 4 deep so I decided to move on.

It was 4 deep BECAUSE it was a free bar. :drink::drink::drink::drink:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Was introduced to Rick Wakeman last night in our local by a friend who knows him. Staying in area for a few days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here