Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pocognoli - Looking elsewhere - reports

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I hope he gets a good club. Just not ours. We should be aiming for better.

I always shake my head when I read things like this.
Can't see anybody queuing up and to be fair, I thought he was worth a punt.
He is good and will only get better.
It would be interesting to know who we are actually chasing and eventually who we actually get, though happy with Gross.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I always shake my head when I read things like this.
Can't see anybody queuing up and to be fair, I thought he was worth a punt.
He is good and will only get better.
It would be interesting to know who we are actually chasing and eventually who we actually get, though happy with Gross.

I didn't think he was that good to be honest. If CH decides to offer him a deal and he signs I won't be upset. I think we can get better.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Really? Bridge is the best full back I have seen in my 30 plus years of watching the albion, absolute class, loved watching him bomb up and down the wing.

I would tend to agree although I liked Jimmy Langley but I was young then and your opinions are somewhat different. Sammy Nelson and Mel Hopkins were quite good at full back for us but like Bridge were winding down their high profile careers.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
But to be fair they were all mistakes that he would never make again and probably never has done before in his career before. Apart from that he is probably technically better than Bong but Bong is a bit quicker. It could be argued but I think Bong and Poc are better than Wayne Bridge. When he was here we played at a much slower tempo.

If he isn't offered a contract we would have to get someone in significantly better to replace him lined up. I liked him, he fitted in well but if he isn't comin back, his goal was special and at the right time so I wish him the best.

You can argue all you like but not even a 100 ex pro's lined up telling me Bong and Poc are better than Bridge as a left back would convince me of that.

Bridge is light years ahead of any left back we have had down at teh Amex , followed by Ward, then Bong and Poc in that order.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It could be argued but I think Bong and Poc are better than Wayne Bridge. When he was here we played at a much slower tempo.

lol !!

It absolutely wouldn't even be a sensible discussion let alone argument.

Bridge is the best LB I've seen for the club and up there with the best players I've ever seen wear the stripes.

That year we had him he was incredible. I don't think I saw him ever perform less than 8/10.

He was brilliant

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
lol !!

It absolutely wouldn't even be a sensible discussion let alone argument.

Bridge is the best LB I've seen for the club and up there with the best players I've ever seen wear the stripes.

That year we had him he was incredible. I don't think I saw him ever perform less than 8/10.

He was brilliant

and it was fantastic to watch him marauding down the wing at pace with all the ball skills of a world class player. Nobody before or since , that I have seen, comes close as an Albion full back. He did get mugged by Zaha in the play off semi at the Amex though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You can argue all you like but not even a 100 ex pro's lined up telling me Bong and Poc are better than Bridge as a left back would convince me of that.

Bridge is light years ahead of any left back we have had down at teh Amex , followed by Ward, then Bong and Poc in that order.

i agree with that order and following Pocognoli was Bennett.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Prefer Bong over Poc any day, would like them both but if one leaves this is the right outcome. Poc did OK for us - yes couple of frankly odd howlers at Villa where he looked a colossal bag of nerves, but love him for the free kick at QPR, the quite superb piece of skill in our own box away at Brentford (even if my reaction at the time was more one of 'WTF are you doing ?') and his seemingly brilliant attitude. Proper team man that fitted in with the BHA team ethic.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Prefer Bong over Poc any day, would like them both but if one leaves this is the right outcome. Poc did OK for us - yes couple of frankly odd howlers at Villa where he looked a colossal bag of nerves, but love him for the free kick at QPR, the quite superb piece of skill in our own box away at Brentford (even if my reaction at the time was more one of 'WTF are you doing ?') and his seemingly brilliant attitude. Proper team man that fitted in with the BHA team ethic.

My stand out moment from him (other than the free kick) was his first challenge in his home debut where he thundered into the opposition , cleanly , full blooded and with real presence. It got the place to its feet.

May of been against dirty as well but cant remember ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My stand out moment from him (other than the free kick) was his first challenge in his home debut where he thundered into the opposition , cleanly , full blooded and with real presence. It got the place to its feet.

May of been against dirty as well but cant remember ?

Think you might be right........he seems to like the full-blooded tackle. A bit old-school in wanting to put an attacker through the hoardings early on.......love it

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
and it was fantastic to watch him marauding down the wing at pace with all the ball skills of a world class player. Nobody before or since , that I have seen, comes close as an Albion full back. He did get mugged by Zaha in the play off semi at the Amex though.

Did he ?..... I thought Bridge was pretty much on top again until they moved Zaha inside to get away from Bridge, then he did his damage.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Did he ?..... I thought Bridge was pretty much on top again until they moved Zaha inside to get away from Bridge, then he did his damage.

First goal yep as far as I remember, came over to Zaha and Bridge's marking was rubbish as Zaha stole in with a header. Happy to be corrected though

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Zaha, Albion fans might slag him off, but he is and always been a very dangerous player.

To zoom him on one game in Bridge's entire career or even Albion career, as the benchmark of Bridge's performances, is embarrassing.

In one-on-ones of Zaha against any one of Bruno/Pog/Bong/Rosenoir, my money would be on Zaha every time.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Zaha, Albion fans might slag him off, but he is and always been a very dangerous player.

To zoom him on one game in Bridge's entire career or even Albion career, as the benchmark of Bridge's performances, is embarrassing.

In one-on-ones of Zaha against any one of Bruno/Pog/Bong/Rosenoir, my money would be on Zaha every time.

Who made it the benchmark of either his career or his time with us?

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Bridge was amazing to watch. Had to pinch myself that year with Upton and he- alongside bruno (ok... and GG)

As for Poco- Belgian international on a free. And people are saying we can do better? He can do a very good job and free up a transfer fee amount for a problem position.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Bridge was amazing to watch. Had to pinch myself that year with Upton and he- alongside bruno (ok... and GG)

As for Poco- Belgian international on a free. And people are saying we can do better? He can do a very good job and free up a transfer fee amount for a problem position.

Upson and Bridge together. Magic!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You are right. Zaha was switched as soon as Calde got a yellow card. He was then free to run where he wanted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here