Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next season's Championship

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yeah, I know - who cares... but I reckon there's TEN teams who would expect to finish in the top 6 at least:

The three relegated clubs (Sunderland, Hull, Boro), the three losing play-off contenders (Reading, Fulham, Sheff Weds :) ), plus last year's big underachievers, Villa and Norwich, as well as Leeds and Derby (who I'd also rate as contenders under Rowett). There's bound to be a dark horse in there, too (Sheff Utd?).

It's going to be a bugger of a division to get out off. Thank God we're out of it!

Jan 22, 2017
Looking forward to it. Hoping that Sunderland struggle, they have had decent seasons down there the last few times but if they appoint some of the jokers they've been linked with as manager I think they'll struggle. I think Villa will win it but I hope they struggle too.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Brentford will confound the favourites.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think Sunderland have a massive rebuilding job and will do well to reach mid table.
For a dark horse for the play offs I would go with Cardiff given how they picked up under Warnock and Birmingham as without Zola they should be top half and maybe more.

Jan 22, 2017
Wolves if they splash a bit cash and appoint someone decent could do well too.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yeah, I know - who cares... but I reckon there's TEN teams who would expect to finish in the top 6 at least:

The three relegated clubs (Sunderland, Hull, Boro), the three losing play-off contenders (Reading, Fulham, Sheff Weds :) ), plus last year's big underachievers, Villa and Norwich, as well as Leeds and Derby (who I'd also rate as contenders under Rowett). There's bound to be a dark horse in there, too (Sheff Utd?).

It's going to be a bugger of a division to get out off. Thank God we're out of it!

Four of the teams you mention don't currently have a manager. Norwich have just appointed a novice. Villa are currently the bookies favourites despite finishing in the bottom half last season. Last year the expectation was that twenty three clubs were playing for one automatic place behind Newcastle. This year there will be two. The third placed team from this year did not finish with considerably more points than any of its rivals like we did in 2016. I think the division looks weaker than the last couple of years, with few of the sides looking like definite contenders. That could make for a very entertaining season.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Is it wrong to say I might miss the old Championship a little bit? It's like going to 'big school' after infants school. You can't wait to get to the big school, then when you do get there and all the bigger kids give you a few slaps - you long for the times you were the biggest kid at the little school again....

It's funny how our Championship has just become a care home for what appear to be either "Injured Premier League Clubs" who need time to convalesce - or "clubs on the up" after big investment, a marvel-manager, or both.

I'm just really happy that the next season will be in the top flight. I genuinely cannot wait.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I love the championship, who would have predicted Brighton top two last season. In fact who would have predicted both Huddersfield and Brighton being promoted. It's an exciting league and I for one will still be watching it

el punal

For me, the last six years in the Championship (apart from the Hyypia reign) watching the Albion has been the most enjoyable experience in over fifty years of following the club. The nearest would be, and on a par, the Mullery years of 1976 -79.

To have been involved in FOUR promotion battles in that six year period speaks volumes about entertainment, the ambition of the Albion, and, as someone has already said, how damn difficult it is to leave this division going upwards.

So next season in the Championship is going to be an absolute slug fest with so many teams vying for the three promotion places.

My prediction? In no order, Villa - when they actually wake up and decide that they have the infrastructure and capability of being promoted. Derby - if they don't have interference from the board might at last achieve. Fulham - the team that should have beaten us TWICE last season, good footballing side who will get there if they remain consistent and put away their penalties!

Also rans - any of the relegation hangover teams if they get their act together (Hull, Middlesbrough, Sunderland).

Dark horses - Preston, on their day good enough and skilful enough to beat anyone.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is it wrong to say I might miss the old Championship a little bit? It's like going to 'big school' after infants school. You can't wait to get to the big school, then when you do get there and all the bigger kids give you a few slaps - you long for the times you were the biggest kid at the little school again....

It's funny how our Championship has just become a care home for what appear to be either "Injured Premier League Clubs" who need time to convalesce - or "clubs on the up" after big investment, a marvel-manager, or both.

I'm just really happy that the next season will be in the top flight. I genuinely cannot wait.

With you on this......will definitely miss it a little bit. The last few seasons have been incredible.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
For me, the last six years in the Championship (apart from the Hyypia reign) watching the Albion has been the most enjoyable experience in over fifty years of following the club. The nearest would be, and on a par, the Mullery years of 1976 -79.

To have been involved in FOUR promotion battles in that six year period speaks volumes about entertainment, the ambition of the Albion, and, as someone has already said, how damn difficult it is to leave this division going upwards.

So next season in the Championship is going to be an absolute slug fest with so many teams vying for the three promotion places.

My prediction? In no order, Villa - when they actually wake up and decide that they have the infrastructure and capability of being promoted. Derby - if they don't have interference from the board might at last achieve. Fulham - the team that should have beaten us TWICE last season, good footballing side who will get there if they remain consistent and put away their penalties!

Also rans - any of the relegation hangover teams if they get their act together (Hull, Middlesbrough, Sunderland).

Dark horses - Preston, on their day good enough and skilful enough to beat anyone.

I think it's almost impossible to predict. Villa maybe, but they'll have a battle on their hands for sure. It will be fascinating to watch it from a distance!

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
You know what the great thing is? We've got an amazing season in the Premier League coming up, and even if the worst happens and we get relegated, we have the prospect of another great season in the Championship to come (and with even more resources at our disposal).

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Surprised no-ones mentioned Brentford, one of the best footballing sides in the division.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Going to miss POTG and the likes of Burton away
But it's a tight division next season and I fancied Norwich but not so sure now
Watch Rowett at Derby and Fulham won't be far away either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here