Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Another Ashley Barnes Thread

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There was certainly dislike of him coming from the West Upper back in the day.

Tho doubtless only from the COCKS 'back in the day'. There WAS no West Upper 'back in the day'. These were people weaned on MOTD who expected instant gratification in a nice new posh(ish) stadium. And hounded one of best strikers of the recent era out of the club. Tho, has to be said, I'd have preferred if he was made of slightly sterner stuff and had spat straight back in their JCL faces. C*nts.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Top player and great lad. Shame about some of the abuse he got. I'll never forget the booing/groaning when he took that penalty at home to Blackburn

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The groans of when he stepped up to take a penalty, possibly the last he scored for us was a complete disgrace. Barnes was a fine player and key to Gus's team, he would have scored a ton in this team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Barnes got abuse mainly because he played in a Poyet team that didn't create many clear cut chances once we got to the Championship. We may have dominated teams but most of the time the ball was on our half :rolleyes: He got dog's abuse for missing a half chance a game whilst CMS ran around like a headless chicken and got the plaudits.

I bloody loved Barnes and his arsy attitude to refs.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Another Barnes fan here:wave:

Whenever I see a Barnes thread it always reminds me of the classic one started by Mr Burns when we were in league one, stating that Barnes was shit and that within a year or two he would 'find his level' in non league. And the magnificent lengths Mr Burns then went to to try and justify his ridiculous statements as first Barnes became a regular in the team, then scored 20 goals in the league destroying team, then proved himself more than capable of holding his own in the championship. Sadly the thread had vanished by the time Barnes made it to the premier league.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He did do a few silly things though to frustrate the crowd, crazy red cards such as tripping the ref and missing a number of sitters.

Even on match of day in recent seasons there has been a few horrific tackles that the panel had to discuss at length.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Ashley Barnes was too good for a lot of the Brighton so called supporters, they did not have the ability to see what he did when he did not have the ball and how he influenced a game.
They also did not realise how strong he was and did not even appreciate that he gave 100% every match.
A few stupid tackles and the odd poor game and he was given pelters, cocks the lot of them.
We may mock Burnley but they are PL and stayed there, if Ashley was no good they would not have bought him or shipped him out by now.
Some Brighton fans make my piss boil.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He did do a few silly things though to frustrate the crowd, crazy red cards such as tripping the ref and missing a number of sitters.

Even on match of day in recent seasons there has been a few horrific tackles that the panel had to discuss at length.

Nothing wrong with that IMO, look at strikers like Costa who make a name for being a nasty *******. Granted, tripping the Ref was pretty unique.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Lots of cocks at BHA booed Barnes unnecessary and i mean alot. Moved onto Bong now. Not so much booing but shouting abuse
I couldn't stand the bloke... but I don't remember any obvious booing... and I am certainly not a 'JCL Amexer'... 1974 1st game.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Tho doubtless only from the COCKS 'back in the day'. There WAS no West Upper 'back in the day'. These were people weaned on MOTD who expected instant gratification in a nice new posh(ish) stadium. And hounded one of best strikers of the recent era out of the club. Tho, has to be said, I'd have preferred if he was made of slightly sterner stuff and had spat straight back in their JCL faces. C*nts.

Lost me there.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7959489 said:
Come and get me plea surely? Probably hates living oop nurth!

Au contraire, I think he is in his element up there, playing the best football of his career, and for a manager who clearly loves him.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ashley Barnes was too good for a lot of the Brighton so called supporters, they did not have the ability to see what he did when he did not have the ball and how he influenced a game.
They also did not realise how strong he was and did not even appreciate that he gave 100% every match.
A few stupid tackles and the odd poor game and he was given pelters, cocks the lot of them.
We may mock Burnley but they are PL and stayed there, if Ashley was no good they would not have bought him or shipped him out by now.
Some Brighton fans make my piss boil.
If he was that good, how come he has only been a bit part player in a bang average Burnley team... granted he was initially competing with Vokes and Ings ... but he still only appears sporadically.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There were detractors at Withdean too. I remember some battles royal on Nsc with Mr Burns, and a couple of others who said he wasn't good enough for League One.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Um. you do realise there was a club pre-Amex? 'Back in the day' where Ashley Barnes was concerned was at Withdean. No 'West Upper' there to the best of my memory.

Very precious, but hey, that's just your aggression in posts I guess.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If he was that good, how come he has only been a bit part player in a bang average Burnley team... granted he was initially competing with Vokes and Ings ... but he still only appears sporadically.

Ashley Barnes would have absolutely THRIVED on the level of service this season just gone at the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here