Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
More new stats

Chris Hughton 6th longest serving Premier League manager

We are one of 11 clubs never to have been relegated from the Premier League

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Football did not start in 1992.

You don't see charts or speculation on who has played in the Championship, which was simply a renamed division two.

Quite.
There was over 100 years of professional football before the much lauded PL came along but most of it is largely ignored. Some keep saying that the game is totally different now and mock the football that went before. They see grainy, speeded up black and white film, goalies in jerseys and heavy boots and regard it as a thuggish, unfit and less skillful game. How wrong they are.
No one can truly appreciate a sport until you have studied its history and its development. Managers and coaches are raved about now but no one bothers to study the great thinkers of the past. Names like Guttmann, Sebes, Chapman, Michels, Cullis and Greenwood mean nothing to most. I keep being told that players of the past couldn't play at this pace now but I watched years of football played at breakneck speed. I watched skill levels that some players could only dream about now. A powerful, well timed header is a rare thing of beauty now but it used to be an art form.
The game hasn't changed just everything that goes with it. Imagine what some of the older players would do now with lightweight kit, pitches like bowling greens, lighter footballs, vastly improved sports science and the support structure around them. Oh the heart yearns for Zico and Garrincha. For Pele and Maradonna. For Rivera and Riva. For Di Stefano and Puskas. For Eusebio and Beckenbauer. For Greaves and Charlton. For Matthews and Finney.......and George Best....the great George Best.
Hang on....shouldn't be talking about these old fogies. The PL is the only thing that matters.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Taking out the Scottish teams I think we can say that we were probably the biggest club never to have played in what is now known as the Premier League? Bristol City might argue but can't see that any of the others could. We are fecking late to this party, thanks Stanley, Archer and Bellotti!

May 24, 2017
The way the ffp rules are shamefully stacked against the smaller clubs it might be a while before we see 50th team tbh......if i had hazard a guess however i'd say Bristol.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Taking out the Scottish teams I think we can say that we were probably the biggest club never to have played in what is now known as the Premier League? Bristol City might argue but can't see that any of the others could. We are fecking late to this party, thanks Stanley, Archer and Bellotti!

Preston. FA cup winners and League Champions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Preston. FA cup winners and League Champions.

True, I overlooked that from the black and white days, they are also Mark Lawrenson's first and favourite team too, so maybe they are arguably bigger than us.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Preston.

But I completely agree with the sentiment that all the resetting of stats since Division 1 merely changed it's name, is an absolute nonsense. the rules didn't change, the players and teams all stayed the same, and despite the marketing it was NOT a whole new ball game. It was the same game, being run and funded differently.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Preston.

But I completely agree with the sentiment that all the resetting of stats since Division 1 merely changed it's name, is an absolute nonsense. the rules didn't change, the players and teams all stayed the same, and despite the marketing it was NOT a whole new ball game. It was the same game, being run and funded differently.

Exactly.
But try telling that to some people and their eyes glaze over. Perhaps all the teams should be renamed to include ( 1992 ) in their name.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The formation of the Premier League marked a breakaway from the Football League, and the division was eventually re-sized 4 years on from 22 to 20 teams (when it was originally supposed to be 18). But as promotion / relegation remained exactly the same, of course to all intents and purposes it has just been a rebranding exercise. Sky do love to draw their 1992 line in the sand though don't they.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Football did not start in 1992.

You don't see charts or speculation on who has played in the Championship, which was simply a renamed division two.

But the breakaway league that was formed in 1992 and branded as the Premier League did

The competition formed as the FA Premier League on 20 February 1992 following the decision of clubs in the Football League First Division to break away from the Football League, which was founded in 1888, and take advantage of a lucrative television rights deal.

The newly formed top division would have commercial independence from The Football Association and the Football League, giving the FA Premier League licence to negotiate its own broadcast and sponsorship agreements. The argument given at the time was that the extra income would allow English clubs to compete with teams across Europe.

In 1992, the First Division clubs resigned from the Football League en masse and on 27 May 1992 the FA Premier League was formed as a limited company working out of an office at the Football Association's then headquarters in Lancaster Gate.[12] This meant a break-up of the 104-year-old Football League that had operated until then with four divisions; the Premier League would operate with a single division and the Football League with three.

The Championship never broke away from the Football League.

There has also been rumour and speculation over the years about the formation of a Premier League 2 (which would replace the current Championship)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
My guess would be Bristol City, closely followed by Preston but wouldn't be going to a bookies anytime soon to place this bet

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But the breakaway league that was formed in 1992 and branded as the Premier League did

The Championship never broke away from the Football League.

There has also been rumour and speculation over the years about the formation of a Premier League 2 (which would replace the current Championship)

It was still 'just' a change of name. The records are not expunged.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Huddersfield?

But Celtic? Lol

No chance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here