Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who did you think was the most exciting signing Albion have made

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Tony Meola.......and then I remember hearing on the radio that he signed a contract with Watford

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Surely it's Bobby Smith.

Was a current England International, had won the double with Spurs the previous season (being instrumental in that)

It is the biggest coup in the club's history

Of course it's Bobby Smith. Nothing comes close. It would be like Wayne Rooney signing for Exeter.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Tony Meola.......and then I remember hearing on the radio that he signed a contract with Watford

Always remember his rattail
Saw him down George Street, Hove a few days after one of the few games he played for us and we had a bit of a singsong with him

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
just a thought
Barry Bridges
only seen one match he played for us and he was head and shoulders above the rest

Scored the best ever goal for the Albion, into the North, surpassed only many years later, by Bobby Z away at Bury. Sublime!

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Jimmy Case, still my all time favourite player!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

el punal

Peter Ward

I agree that he was Albion's most exciting player eventually, but when he was signed from Burton for £4000 (?) no one knew about him. He played in the reserves for some time and scoring on a regular basis. It was when Wardy took Fred Binney's place away to Hereford that most of us sat up and took notice. Getting his debut goal in the first minute helped, and I woz there!

scooter1

How soon is now?
I think for me it was CMS. As I recall, it was mooted that GP was going to play at the REMF golf day and at the last minute he pulled out, apparently as he had to go and meet ' a player' with regards to signing. If true, that player was CMS. Allegedly He had the chance to go to a couple of premier league teams, but chose us. That really showed our intent I thought. The rest I guess is history.
WAYNE Bridge, yes he was in the twilight of his career, but he was a class above what we'd ever seen before at left back.
And finally Bobby Z the second time. Yes his body was ****ed, but he chipped in with a few great goals and his own reaction to scoring in front of the Amex Northstand showed his love for this club

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Bobby Smith for me. Unbelievable signing at the time. The England centre forward of 18 months earlier playing for Brighton in div 4. With all due respect to Ward and Vicente, I had not heard of either of them when they signed.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I was only a youngster but I seem to remember Joe Corrigan being quite a big name back then.

That. Played for England and a household name. In another era he'd have got a shed load of caps bearing in mind he was behind Shilton and Clemence.

In recent years Wayne Bridge. 90k a week at Citeh and he rocks up at the Albion. Marcos Painter was a great servent and all that but what an upgrade.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here