Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gaetan Bong has signed a new one year contract...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not quite true. He had a torrid time of it in the first half against Fulham at home as I recall.

Or away to Cardiff, where he got a red for diving in and bringing down Harris?

Could come up with at least a couple of errors, failures, crap games or howlers for every member of the team......Bong is a decent defender and worth sticking with. Just hope he can improve his passing a bit.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I have to admit that I was disappointed when this news was announced. Bong has never let us down, but I don't see him as being Premier League quality because being solid defensively isn't enough at the top level, you need to to be as effective going forward as you are in defence as a full back. But then I thought about something Hughton has said repeatedly, that he wanted the "right types" when he came to the club and he always mentions Bong. You can't put a value on the harmony in the squad, and if Hughton believes that Bong is the type of player he needs in the dressing room then I'm happy enough. I don't think he's a good enough footballer for the Premier League, which is why he has a 1 year contract, and he deserves it.

Congratulations Gaetan, all the best for next season.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If we play 3 centrally this season, escpecially away from Home i think Mr Norwood may well suprise a few.

I agree

Norwood last year people wanted to see him being creative in midfield as we were on top in most games. I think next year we might see him revert to more of what he does best and that is his defensive midfield attributes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree

Norwood last year people wanted to see him being creative in midfield as we were on top in most games. I think next year we might see him revert to more of what he does best and that is his defensive midfield attributes.

Interesting. From what I've seen of him with us, he has an eye for a creative pass, but his tackling is poor.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Why not our no.1 left back? What does he lack to a first choice PL left back?

Because we need another left back still, and I cant see us bringing in a back up to Bong, we need/are trying to improve the squad not weaken it.
On top of that Bong while he has been with us has been unlucky/a bit of a sick note and for me cant be relied on to be fit for a season.
He lacks nothing except a bit of general all around quality, his passing being the weakest point of his game.

So to sum it up between all those who have posted an opinion his passing is good/poor, his tackling is good/poor, his positional play is good/poor and his pace is fast/slow.

Have I understood the NSC consensus ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So to sum it up between all those who have posted an opinion his passing is good/poor, his tackling is good/poor, his positional play is good/poor and his pace is fast/slow.

Have I understood the NSC consensus ?

I suggest that there IS near consensus, tbh.

Decent defender, good athlete, quite quick, gives the ball away a little too often.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I suggest that there IS near consensus, tbh.

Decent defender, good athlete, quite quick, gives the ball away a little too often.
...And has delivered some great crosses.

Clearly we need another left back and it would be madness to sign one worse than Bong - so all in all this looks like great news.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Thee answer is so obvious Keiran Gibbs if the price and wages are within our scale.

IF being the operative word BG, I've a feeling we are going to be very disappointed on that score.

I'm also a little bit worried about what seems a lack of ambition. The only players l would want at my club, are those that are only happy when they are playing regularly, and hungry to win trophies.

Not just in it to pocket as much money as possible.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IF being the operative word BG, I've a feeling we are going to be very disappointed on that score.

I'm also a little bit worried about what seems a lack of ambition. The only players l would want at my club, are those that are only happy when they are playing regularly, and hungry to win trophies.

Not just in it to pocket as much money as possible.

Gibbs won't join us. We may max at say £45k per week and he'd demand a £100k plus per week.

The Albion will be far more astute than that, looking at the Championship, overseas and the relegated clubs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here