Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How the heck are we going to compete in the Prem?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
When you see the amount of money being thrown around by even the more recently promoted teams. I know team spirit takes you a long way, but surely we won't be competing on wages and fees. How do we get to 17th place by the end of the season?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Personally You can spend all that money, but it doesnt mean you are getting a great player. We arent and more than likely will never be competeing for the top 6.

Also players are completely over priced for top 6 teams, there is value out there and hopefully we will find it. I dont spending big will keep us in the league, A continued reasoned approach by the club will see us safe.

We completed our 5 year plan in 6 seasons, so it will be interesting to see what the next 5 year plan may look like.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just enjoy the ride, Tony has his deserved partial payback and will allocate what he thinks is a reasonable amount. If we end up getting stuffed week in week out or being bored to death by 11 men behind the ball we may all be grateful for a return to the Championship with parachute payments :shrug:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
When you see the amount of money being thrown around by even the more recently promoted teams. I know team spirit takes you a long way, but surely we won't be competing on wages and fees. How do we get to 17th place by the end of the season?

Players aren't representative of price. You could end up paying 20M more for a player that is 2% better.

There is a plenty big enough player pool to assemble a competitive squad without absurd fees/wages.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Just enjoy the ride, Tony has his deserved partial payback and will allocate what he thinks is a reasonable amount. If we end up getting stuffed week in week out or being bored to death by 11 men behind the ball we may all be grateful for a return to the Championship with parachute payments :shrug:

But staying up will guarantee millions every year, TB gets his loans back and the club financially secure in it's own right.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
The question we were all asking this time last year ....

When you see the amount of money being thrown around by even the more recently relegated teams. I know team spirit takes you a long way, but surely we won't be competing on wages and fees. How do we get to 6th place by the end of the season?

There's your answer :albion2:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
This club has unlimited potential. Look what we've pulled off in just the last 20 years!

Anyone claiming we won't ever make the top 6 or we won't ever qualify for Europe, needs to remember that we were laughed at for pr predicting 25,000 + gates and prem footballl for the Albion not too long ago.

The Albion are a special club who are capable of special things. Never write them off

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Personally You can spend all that money, but it doesnt mean you are getting a great player. We arent and more than likely will never be competeing for the top 6.

Also players are completely over priced for top 6 teams, there is value out there and hopefully we will find it. I dont spending big will keep us in the league, A continued reasoned approach by the club will see us safe.

We completed our 5 year plan in 6 seasons, so it will be interesting to see what the next 5 year plan may look like.

I think the next five year plan, (if there is one), can only have the one aim, namely survival in the Premier League. Personally if we can achieve that, then l would be delighted.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's not so much the money but what that money can (but not always) buy you.

I watched the Cup Final and thought "blimey - this pace and skill is scary!"

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think the claims that TB is going to get his loans back is pie in the sky. The median profit for PL clubs in 2015/16 was just £2.7 million (I anticipate the Albion's losses for the season we have just had could easily top £40 million) and 8 of the 20 teams made a net loss.

If TB wants to monetise his investment, (and there is no evidence that he so wishes) then expect him to go along the lines of Manchester City (sold 13% of the club to China for £265mill) or Bournemouth (sold 25% to an American private equity firm). Going into a deal similar to that of small club Crystal Palace, where the ownership and control is now split between Steve Parish and the Americans, is fraught with danger when it comes to decision making, and I can't see TB being that way inclined.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Man City typify all that is wrong with the modern game when the chairman says " We are going to go out and BUY the best talent in the world" . That is no longer sport.
But we will compete, with hard work , blood sweat & tears .... and the talent we have and can attract. We don't aim to win the league first time around, just survive - and have fun! :albion2:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think the claims that TB is going to get his loans back is pie in the sky. The median profit for PL clubs in 2015/16 was just £2.7 million (I anticipate the Albion's losses for the season we have just had could easily top £40 million) and 8 of the 20 teams made a net loss.

If TB wants to monetise his investment, (and there is no evidence that he so wishes) then expect him to go along the lines of Manchester City (sold 13% of the club to China for £265mill) or Bournemouth (sold 25% to an American private equity firm). Going into a deal similar to that of small club Crystal Palace, where the ownership and control is now split between Steve Parish and the Americans, is fraught with danger when it comes to decision making, and I can't see TB being that way inclined.

I totally agree.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Man City typify all that is wrong with the modern game when the chairman says " We are going to go out and BUY the best talent in the world" . That is no longer sport.
But we will compete, with hard work , blood sweat & tears .... and the talent we have and can attract. We don't aim to win the league first time around, just survive - and have fun! :albion2:

Yep, and I know who I would be supporting!

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Incredible back room team at BHA, don't worry, we will be ready. TB is not going to put the brakes on his 'legacy' dream, we are in good hands. #KeepTheFaith. :albion2:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The question we were all asking this time last year ....

There's your answer :albion2:
Our budget for the last season would have been top half, and not that far behind the 3rd highest budget. I assume this thread was started because we're likely to be well adrift of the average PL budget.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Question! If a PL club makes such a small profit, why would a foreign investor pay such a high price for a percentage of a club?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Question! If a PL club makes such a small profit, why would a foreign investor pay such a high price for a percentage of a club?

For non financial reasons. Chinese investment houses are trying to win favour with the government of Xi Jinping, who is keen for China to host a World Cup soon (2030 is the initial target). Anything that brings China into closer contact with high profile football (and the PL is as high profile as it gets) can curry favour when the government is handing out contracts domestically, and also if the Chinese investors are involved in high profile construction deals in emerging economies such as Abu Dhabi, where City's owners are located. Geopolitics is therefore driving the price for many Chinese.

The Americans see it purely in financial terms though. The price they paid for Palace was much lower, for a much greater stake, as one would expect for a small club with a history of financial mismanagement and rotating door policy at manager level.

adub68

Jul 25, 2013
It's not so much the money but what that money can (but not always) buy you.

I watched the Cup Final and thought "blimey - this pace and skill is scary!"

Attended both the FA Cup final and the play-off game yesterday and couldn't agree more. Setting aside the obvious nature of both teams setting up not to lose yesterday the pace and confidence in moving the ball around the opposition's half of the pitch on Saturday was planets away from the game yesterday. While we are not competing with Chelsea or Arsenal and will be competing with Huddersfield I left the game on Saturday more worried than excited.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here