Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Australia is it all what it is made out to be ?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Have you been to the UK ?

With today's technology and instant reporting of events one doesn't need to go anywhere. Do you need to go to the US to know it's got a racist element?

There's never been anything like the scale of the BNP or EDL out here.

Race riots in the UK outnumber anything in Australia by a margin.

Point is those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Maybe this is the difference? I am not talking about those in your face right wing goons. I am talking about your general people from across the political and social spectrum who engage in "casual racism" (not to keen on that term myself as I think it is part of the problem, but you know what I mean)

Well in your face goons are a far better barometer than anecdotal evidence surely? If I relayed my experience of who is racist in Oz i'd say by far it's the children of European immigrants like the Croats, Serbs, Greeks, Italians etc who carry on this "casual racism" which isn't present among Anglo-Celtic friends.

Far as we're concerned if you follow the footy you're alright by us.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Seems to be a massive rise in far right goons about the place too.

Like I say my experience of casual racism is that it is prevelent across the board.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I have experienced it in both the UK and here, the difference I can see is that it is expressed more in humour here than in the UK.
English here seem to accept being called poms, Italians called wogs etc. without worrying about it, even the Aboriginals refer to themselves as 'black fellas'.
Couldn't help but snigger when I first saw 'Coon' cheese in the supermarket.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I have experienced it in both the UK and here, the difference I can see is that it is expressed more in humour here than in the UK.
English here seem to accept being called poms, Italians called wogs etc. without worrying about it, even the Aboriginals refer to themselves as 'black fellas'.
Couldn't help but snigger when I first saw 'Coon' cheese in the supermarket.

Well you hit the nail on the head there. Many things some consider a slur to their ears are said within a tone of friendship.

The term wog is a perfect example. It used to be viewed as a bad thing, nowadays people use it overwhelmingly as a term of endearment. The people who were labelled it now embrace it and there's countless pop culture which have taken it and embraced the humour.

Black fella, white fella, all very common names out in the country. It's the inner city twits who are offended by everything who never get that.

Anyway enjoy some great music from back in the 80's

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Best country to live in the world imo, Just pips Canada to the title.

Hoping for the proposed visa waiver agreement between Aus/NZ/CAN/UK to go through and I'll be on the first plane back out there.

Never been to Oz, but have to Canada many times, what is there not to like about Canada? My favourite country by a long shot.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Having been to all three my order would be

1. New Zealand
2. Canada
3. Australia

But could happily live in any of them...

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
I quite enjoyed Hobart and surrounding areas. Melbournes nice for the city scene but I'm sure you've got better in Europe - not worth travelling halfway around the world for when you've got great cultural cities in Europe. I wasn't jazzed by Sydney but clearly a lot of people love it. I haven't done the far north or Ayers Rock which looks interesting. It really depends on what you are looking for. For sun and beaches then Aussies probably a good spot.

The people in Hobart were awesome ... except our first taxi driver - only time I've ever genuinely wondered if I was about to be murdered. "Do you smell that? Its my ears" *drives into secluded bush and slowly puts on some gloves*.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Well in your face goons are a far better barometer than anecdotal evidence surely? If I relayed my experience of who is racist in Oz i'd say by far it's the children of European immigrants like the Croats, Serbs, Greeks, Italians etc who carry on this "casual racism" which isn't present among Anglo-Celtic friends.

Far as we're concerned if you follow the footy you're alright by us.

Lived in Melbourne for a few years wonderful city.
Every time I've thought of moving back there it's the obsession with the footy that puts me off. Enduring the latest news flash about Jacko's knee injury.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Loved every minute out there.

Was working dismantling a rollercoaster in Sydney, Darwin award candidate was standing on a section of rail and undid all the bolts around him, fell something like 70ft onto the tarmac, swiftly followed by the section of track he had undone. He was quite the bloody mess as he clearly clung on to life.
His unfortunate experience was followed up by comments from other work colleagues whilst waiting for the Ambo.
“lucky ******* you will get compo for this”
“can I use your locker while you are away Barry”
“if you don’t make it can I frack your wife”
“bet you don’t do that again you dopey ####”

Was quite shocked but at the same time ….what is not to like from this outlook on life.
Its very hard to make an Aussie look negatively on life…very much matter of fact
….i quite like that.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well this is the problem isn't it; I've spent a year in Aus and a year in Canada and the two common issues that they have are: 1) terrible climates...either freezing to death or being boiled alive, and 2) cultural deserts...there are limits to how much joy scenery can bring to your life.

Melbourne nullifies both of your arguments :thumbsup:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Lived in Melbourne for a few years wonderful city.
Every time I've thought of moving back there it's the obsession with the footy that puts me off. Enduring the latest news flash about Jacko's knee injury.

Yeah but at least we can sit next to each other at the football and don't need to be segregated. That's good right?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Loved every minute out there.

Was working dismantling a rollercoaster in Sydney, Darwin award candidate was standing on a section of rail and undid all the bolts around him, fell something like 70ft onto the tarmac, swiftly followed by the section of track he had undone. He was quite the bloody mess as he clearly clung on to life.
His unfortunate experience was followed up by comments from other work colleagues whilst waiting for the Ambo.
“lucky ******* you will get compo for this”
“can I use your locker while you are away Barry”
“if you don’t make it can I frack your wife”
“bet you don’t do that again you dopey ####”

Was quite shocked but at the same time ….what is not to like from this outlook on life.
Its very hard to make an Aussie look negatively on life…very much matter of fact
….i quite like that.

We like you too Hugh Mungus

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here