Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Australia is it all what it is made out to be ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Been here over 20 years best thing the wife and i ever did,10 years in Sydney and 11 years so far in Brisbane the next best thing we did. Emily was born on Australia day day off and fireworks still tell her that they are for her but 13 now not sure she believes me now lol.Luke 9 was born in qld Emily nsw and state of origin starts this week me and Emily nsw Luke and mum qld it's worth a watch.And sea eagle GO MANLY big fan went to 2008 grand final 40.0 what a day i hate the storm, and did go to seagulls downunder meets when was in Sydney now do seagulls downunder Brisbane.
I had no idea Australian was so different to English.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Best country to live in the world imo, Just pips Canada to the title.

Hoping for the proposed visa waiver agreement between Aus/NZ/CAN/UK to go through and I'll be on the first plane back out there.

Not sure why you think a problem re visa. Booked on line for free visas for myself and wife and got instant approval. When we arrived in Melbourne some border officer came up to us and asked "are you Brits? Come with me to avoid all those Chinese visitors" and we were through border control in 5 minutes. Fantastic. That was 2015 and we did a great car tour taking in Melbourne, Great Ocean Road, Blue Mountains, Sydney, Hunter Valley and up to Brisbane and other parts of Queensland. Great country but agree would not want to live there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thankfully Fosters and Castlemaine aren't the best they can come up with. Coopers Pale and Sparkling Ales are both lovely.

They used to sell Coopers in Safeway years ago. Bloody lovely beer!

Still not enough to make me ever want to go to Australia though.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
:thumbsup: With Canada, amazing places. Varied scenery, with snow capped mountains in parts.

Australia's unbearably hot and humid for much of the year (in the tropics all year), and getting hotter, with sensible Aussies/ex-pats spending much of their time indoors to shelter from the skin cancer danger and to enjoy air con.

Well this is the problem isn't it; I've spent a year in Aus and a year in Canada and the two common issues that they have are: 1) terrible climates...either freezing to death or being boiled alive, and 2) cultural deserts...there are limits to how much joy scenery can bring to your life.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well this is the problem isn't it; I've spent a year in Aus and a year in Canada and the two common issues that they have are: 1) terrible climates...either freezing to death or being boiled alive, and 2) cultural deserts...there are limits to how much joy scenery can bring to your life.

Out of interest did you spend much time in Melbourne? If so did you find that a cultural desert? Depending on your chosen type of culture i find Melbourne has enough to offer. It's not London certainly but it serves my purposes (limited though they probably are :) )

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
It's alright but too hot for me and it's got rather expensive in some cities. The Aussie are a real bunch of moaners as well, moaning about whinging poms for a start but they love to moan about everything. It is a really beautiful country but I wouldn't move my family there, i'd consider NZ or Canada over it any day.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
We emigrated 6 months ago now !

....to New Zealand! Never Really had the bug to go to Aus whereas I did to come to NZ . So it didn't take us long to decide which country to move to. Canada would have been our plan b I think.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Beer is good over here. Never see Fosters and rarely XXXX. Coopers is South Australian and good. Lovely craft beers and micro breweries. Also we have great wine and food here. Great weather as well. TBH the main things I miss are the Albion and friwnds/family, but so not want to move back.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Only thing I really miss is the history, as we were National Trust junkies when living there.
Recently went to Port Douglas in North Queensland, beautiful place and area.
Loved the atmosphere and considering retiring there in a few years.
Not really a fan of Melbourne to live in, but nice to visit, I have got an investment apartment in Melbourne CBD but it is purely for investment.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
To be fair there is underlying racism here, though it does vary depending on what part of the country you are in and only a fool would deny that.
It does seem odd sometimes in the pub, when racist comments are spouted by blokes with Thai brides standing with them.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
To be fair there is underlying racism here, though it does vary depending on what part of the country you are in and only a fool would deny that.
It does seem odd sometimes in the pub, when racist comments are spouted by blokes with Thai brides standing with them.

There's an underlying racism everywhere in the world. No single nation is free from it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Yes I agree.

There is a stark and quite confronting difference between the UK and Australia when it comes to racism. Many things i have heard in social situations over here wouldn't be tolerated in the UK in the same contexts.

Although to be fair it must be said that many Aussies I know are becoming more aware of this and changing their ways.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yes I agree.

There is a stark and quite confronting difference between the UK and Australia when it comes to racism. Many things i have heard in social situations over here wouldn't be tolerated in the UK in the same contexts.

Although to be fair it must be said that many Aussies I know are becoming more aware of this and changing their ways.

You're taking the piss. The UK has always had far more violent, organised and in your face extreme right elements than Australia has.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You're taking the piss. The UK has always had far more violent, organised and in your face extreme right elements than Australia has.

Maybe this is the difference? I am not talking about those in your face right wing goons. I am talking about your general people from across the political and social spectrum who engage in "casual racism" (not to keen on that term myself as I think it is part of the problem, but you know what I mean)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here