Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Australia is it all what it is made out to be ?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
You forgot to mention shit lager, if Fosters and Castlemine XXXX is the best they can come up with, it's a no from me......:)

Thankfully Fosters and Castlemaine aren't the best they can come up with. Coopers Pale and Sparkling Ales are both lovely.

Coppers definitely. James Squires as well. Little Creatures. There's a huge industry of local brewers in Aus that all produce great beer. But are all ultimately owned by one of two mega corps.

Jul 7, 2003
I went in 2000 and really enjoyed it, it was cheap then though, I am sure i read that Sydney is now the most expensive city to live in the world?

Mate of mine went out earlier this year and couldn't believe how expensive it is out there now. Combination of inflation in Oz and poor exchange rates are not helping Brits looking to visit.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I lived near Surfers Paradise for a year 96-97.

It's a wonderful place but, ultimately, a simple but vacuous culture. I missed the politics, the history, the documentaries, the cut and thrust of the media and the ability to travel - Australia is so isolated.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Spent about 2 months travelling up and down the West Coast from Brisbane down to Melbourne and then back up again to Cairns. Wouldn't plan to ever go back except now have a few good mates living there so may pop over for a visit in the future sometime.

If pressed to live somewhere it would be Brisbane.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If I won a competition that took me there to see a Lions' Tour or a Motogp, I'd be made up. Go on my own time and funds? No. Not sure if that makes me tight or ****ish.

I find myself being a little sympathetic to the never-go-abroad yanks. There's plenty of Europe to see before I go further afield.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Funnily enough Mrs P and I had a similar conversation just last night discussing where in the World we still want to go. Australia was way down the list. Think the only reason I would want to go there is for the Boxing Day Ashes Test at the MCG

Was there for the series we lost 5-0 when Warney got his 700th test on boxing day at mcg, felt quite privileged.....England fans gave him a massive cheer and round of applause, then continued to rip the crap out of him for the rest of the series, hehe:clap2::clap2::clap2:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7957204 said:
Spent about 2 months travelling up and down the West Coast from Brisbane down to Melbourne and then back up again to Cairns. Wouldn't plan to ever go back except now have a few good mates living there so may pop over for a visit in the future sometime.

If pressed to live somewhere it would be Brisbane.

East coast surely.I loved it when I visited,such a diverse place from the tropics in Darwin,christ it was humid to the searing heat of the red centre. Uluru or Ayers Rock,WTF is that all about. It just doesn't belong there,weird.Perth,I thought I might just combust as I got off the plane.I really liked Sydney however it was 1998 when I was last there. Very clean and friendly.
It would still have to be NZ though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I never understood the appeal shared by many, and would never have given up my own time and money to visit the place.

Then I went there for work and really enjoyed it. I've been back a few times since, always for work (but tagging a holiday onto the end of it - why pay for your own flight if you don't have to?), and still enjoyed my time there. At some point in my life I'd like to head there for an extended period and knock about a bit exploring.

If there were no Australians living there, it would almost be perfect.

Sea Eagle

Jun 23, 2011
Worked in Sydney for 6 months, 8 years ago. Before then I thought I'd never leave Sussex as I loved the place....but, I pretty much loved everything about Australia so sold up and moved permanently a year later. It wasn't easy, but one of the best decisions in my life. My only regret was not moving when I was younger and the only thing I miss apart from family is the Albion ...but following through Seagulls Downunder is fun.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
If you hate political correctness then Oz is the place to go. Been twice to Sydney and surrounding places of interest, thoroughly enjoyed both visits. Only drawback is the length of flights. I went via Dubai on both trips.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Coppers definitely. James Squires as well. Little Creatures. There's a huge industry of local brewers in Aus that all produce great beer. But are all ultimately owned by one of two mega corps.

There is an excellent range of craft beers readily available.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sydney has turned into a rat race, polluted, over populated, poor infrastructure and hellishly expensive.

Its like London with sunshine and beaches if you fight through the traffic with 6m others to get there

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Brilliant place to live, if you can avoid the rednecks.

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
Been here over 20 years best thing the wife and i ever did,10 years in Sydney and 11 years so far in Brisbane the next best thing we did. Emily was born on Australia day day off and fireworks still tell her that they are for her but 13 now not sure she believes me now lol.Luke 9 was born in qld Emily nsw and state of origin starts this week me and Emily nsw Luke and mum qld it's worth a watch.And sea eagle GO MANLY big fan went to 2008 grand final 40.0 what a day i hate the storm, and did go to seagulls downunder meets when was in Sydney now do seagulls downunder Brisbane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here