Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Facebook experts or (non-users) out there?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm trying to set up a FB page to advertise my local walking football club. A lot of the people it's aimed at won't be FB users, but I'd like them to find it via Google.

However, if I try to look at it without being logged in, I get a big "SIGN UP" banner blocking the page. (I'd expect that if I was setting up a "group".)

But is that banner what non-FB-users would see if they go to any business FB page? I'm usually logged-in, so wouldn't know.

Is there a way for everyone to see it without signing in?

Thanks!

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
I'm trying to set up a FB page to advertise my local walking football club. A lot of the people it's aimed at won't be FB users, but I'd like them to find it via Google.

However, if I try to look at it without being logged in, I get a big "SIGN UP" banner blocking the page. (I'd expect that if I was setting up a "group".)

But is that banner what non-FB-users would see if they go to any business FB page? I'm usually logged-in, so wouldn't know.

Thanks!

Can I ask why u are trying to target non FB users via a FB page?

Isnt it better if they are searching on Google to direct them to the actual club website?

This can be done via Google Adwords and/or increasing your Google ranking organically.

Both of which I can help with(well not so much the organic but I know a man!)

PM me if want to discuss a bit further.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Thanks!

Do you know they are not users or just surmising because of their age?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Can I ask why u are trying to target non FB users via a FB page?

Isnt it better if they are searching on Google to direct them to the actual club website?

This can be done via Google Adwords and/or increasing your Google ranking organically.

Both of which I can help with(well not so much the organic but I know a man!)

PM me if want to discuss a bit further.

There is no club website, but I'm capable of writing one if I wanted one, thanks.

It's not a commercial venture, I just want an info page that people can find / be pointed to, without signing up to FB.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Do you know they are not users or just surmising because of their age?

I'm extrapolating from the other groups of a similar age that I associate with. Anyway, not everyone of any age wants to sign up to FB, or to have all their device signed in.

A lot will be FB users, I just don't want to exclude anyone.

The simple question is whether FB pages are visible, or can be made visible, to non-FB users?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I don't use Facebook if that helps.

So, do you ever end up clicking a link for the FB page of a (probably small) business? What happens? Can you see the page?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
So, do you ever end up clicking a link for the FB page of a (probably small) business? What happens? Can you see the page?

Yes and no.
I use Twitter and some tweets say ' I have just posted a photo on Facebook' Or a Tweet with just a Facebook link.
Sometimes I can see a photo or whatever, but usually a box appears asking me to join Facebook, other times I can see nothing.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Same again - I've no interest in FB or Twitter. Never have, never will. It seems to me a blessing and a curse in equal measure, which takes too much time and effort.

I'm with one poster on here who said 'build a basic website'. Just make sure you have 'Capcha' for any comments if you enable them, otherwise the spambots will steamroller you into submission.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmm. I too would like to know why you're trying to get non-Facebook users to access a Facebook page? Why not just set up a proper website? It's really easy these days with people like GoDaddy. And dirt cheap compared to the old days when if you had no technical knowledge you needed someone to do it for you.

I'm a non-Facebook user and I'm pretty sure in the past when I've clicked on people's Facebook links I've had the screen that says 'Log in'. I avoid them now (if I notice them before I click), if I wanted to look at Facebook pages I'd join Facebook - and given how controlling he is I'm guessing Mark Zuckerberg feels the same way.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Guys, it's​ quite simple. I'm setting up a FB page, and want to know if I'm excluding anyone.

Same as putting an advert in the local Tesco, and ignoring the Co-op.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Just form a Group. Which can be Public (open for anybody to see) or Private. ( No body but people the admin ok's can see.) Public gets picked up by Google.
Good on you for trying to form a group. For it's success the games have to be on a big enough area, so there is actually room to pass, and walking is strictly policed. If you build it they will come.
I am 71 and operate all sorts of dangerous machinery. Of the many things that annoy me in old age, are people that don't engage with tech, fecking Luddites.

I don't use Facebook, but I don't need to as every evening my wife gives me a complete rundown of who's said what to whom, where people are going on their holidays and what auntie Mabel has had for tea.

Exciting times.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just form a Group. Which can be Public (open for anybody to see) or Private. ( No body but people the admin ok's can see.) Public gets picked up by Google.
Good on you for trying to form a group. For it's success the games have to be on a big enough area, so there is actually room to pass, and walking is strictly policed. If you build it they will come.
I am 71 and operate all sorts of dangerous machinery. Of the many things that annoy me in old age, are people that don't engage with tech, fecking Luddites.
But what does 'public' mean in the Facebook world? My wife is a member of a private group that she had to be invited to join. If it were a public group then I'm guessing any other FB user could see it regardless - but can non-FB users access it? I think that's the question the OP was asking.

If someone wants to put some test links up I'll let you know if I can access them.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Yeah, a Group with members was my first thought, but I wondered if a Page would be more accessible to the wider world. Sod the Luddites! They'll still see the old-fashioned paper adverts. FB is just one channel. One chap said last week, we "need to target places where old blokes go" - we have a tour guide at the local Skinner's brewery!

We've actually been playing for about eight weeks, long enough to know it's popularity. We've been getting 8-10 players, have great facilities, and we all thoroughly enjoy it, but now we're starting to have holidays, hip ops and groin strains, so need to keep the numbers up.

Strongly recommend it for anyone that hasn't played football for 30-odd years!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here