Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying property abroad

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
he got nothing back.....he was told by the police commander of the area that there was nothing to be done.....big scam he paid 12k cash for the place itt was a 3 story place but the top two floors were wrecked ....he got a local builder to repair it for him and moved in .....a month later some spanish bloke turned up with the deeds to the property ....he had to move out.
Seems like a scam by the owner, you'd think a court could help.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Seems like a scam by the owner, you'd think a court could help.

this was about 12 years ago.....it ruined him , he took his share of what was left after a divorce and went for the idyllic lifestyle......he tried to fight it but there was nothing he could do ....yep he basically got scammed.

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
Bought an apartment in Bulgaria 10 years ago and love it there. Ski in winter and sun and thermal pools in summer. Very good value for money. Just don't get there as much as we would like to. There is a jazz festival there every August but we are missing it again this year as it clashes with the first week of the football season.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Lived in Spain now for 8 years and wouldn't change it. Inland is a super place to live, not the coast it's full of holidaying Brits wanting all day breakfasts washed down with John Smith bitter! Pick your place and get a good, local solicitor. Never, ever use the one a seller does or the one recommended by an agent. A true abogado, completely independent, will ensure everything is correct before he allows you to proceed.

Lived in Spain now for 8 years and wouldn't change it. Inland is a super place to live, not the coast it's full of holidaying Brits wanting all day breakfasts washed down with John Smith bitter! Pick your place and get a good, local solicitor. Never, ever use the one a seller does or the one recommended by an agent. A true abogado, completely independent, will ensure everything is correct before he allows you to proceed.

Agree with all that. Whereabouts are you inland?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Mallorca or if you can afford it south of France. Both areas where property prices likely to keep on rising. Or capital cities like Paris, Barcelona

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Just purchased a place in SW France, always enjoyed holidays in the area, enjoyed the weather, food, less hustle and bustle, roads not as busy. We are moving permanently so needed to make money so are doing Gites and B & B. We will miss several things (thank goodness for sky) and I am sure the language will be a challenge! Top tips that can be overlooked: get to know the area. Old looks good but might it need work (check it out) Can you walk to a bar / restaurant? How will you manage the garden / pool when you are not there? What is it like in winter? Where are the shops / doctors? Are there only summer flights – what are the alternatives? What if the value of the pound drops? We found the French system fairly straight forward when it was explained and the agents were very helpful (obviously) a new beginning for us. Fingers crossed and good luck to you. http://www.domainedefrance.com/

Surely someone looking to buy for the first time abroad would choose not to do so as a time when the exchage rate is close to a record low and at a time before Brexit is finalised so one would at least have the knowledge that they can travel freely to their newly acquired property

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
Some great value in the Alicante and Valencia area at the moment. I know a few property agents if anyone wants a contact.

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Surely someone looking to buy for the first time abroad would choose not to do so as a time when the exchage rate is close to a record low and at a time before Brexit is finalised so one would at least have the knowledge that they can travel freely to their newly acquired property

Trouble is you could wait for ever for everything to be just right, Brexit will take another two years, but you are right anything could happen!

scooter1

How soon is now?
Ive had a place in rural Spain for the last 15 years, and I'm now trying to sell. Think hard about what it is you're looking for and why. Do you want to go to this place for all your holidays, you will feel obliged to.. What is your working situation? If you have limited holidays, you could be holidaying in the same place for the foreseeable future. How much are you looking to spend? If you like to travel to different places, this amount of money could buy you 25+ fantastic holidays over the next X amount of years(OK, you have nothing to show for it, but wonderful memories). Do you plan to retire to this place, what is your current family set up, and may it change in the foreseeable(or unforseeable) future.
I don't want your answers, and I'm not trying to put you off, but these are questions I would have asked myself before I purchased abroad.
I know a lot of people who moved abroad/bought abroad and are either stuck there as they committed all their cash and now can't sell. Or have moved back for health/family/it's not so great over there reasons.....
I rarely visit my place in Spain as its not suitable for my young family. It's become an albatross, I'm just glad that it's paid for and the running costs are low.

Last edited:

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France

Maybe best to rent for a while perhaps, the trouble is life moves so fast!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I had one in La Marina near to Alicante for twelve years and sold it about three years ago.
I enjoyed it at first, but holidays became so much the same and I started wanting to go to other places. The maintenance and gardens became an issue as I got older and I seemed to be spending all my time working when I was supposed to be on holiday. I managed to sell it for a small profit after it had been on the market for just over two years.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is there not a law in Spain that you take over any existing debts? Son bought a bar in Teneriffe some 20 years ago and had problems with the electric and it transpired that the electric supply to the bar was an exxtention from the shop next door put underground so he didnt know until elec co told him. Mind you I stll keep recording and watching A Place in The Sun on Ch 4 for when I win the lottery.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you're looking at a year-round destination a reasonable flight from home, can't really go wrong with the Canaries. Fuerteventura especially. White sand instead of black. When you run out of family and friends, you're going to be wanting a year-round rental income. Maybe choose a stand-alone property with its own pool (which, face it, everybody demands, every if it's too frigging cold to ever swim in). Go for somewhere like Greece and you'll be faced with all SORTS of difficulties. Firstly because it's a short six month rental opportunity, and your dizzy step-daughter will fall out with you because you balk at giving her the first two weeks in August rent-free just because she's Family. Plus the Greek government will be forever hounding you in extortion scams. Like if you have a pool, even if it's no larger than an average double bed, you now need a license and a lifesaver course. They'll of course let you off the course just as long as you pay them the couple of thousand euros for the licence. Can't blame the Greek government to be honest, they've been nailed to the floor by the European treaty theit froebearas swigned up to, before everything globally went tits-up. y

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I want to win sufficient money to buy an appartment in one of the Costas either Del Sol or Blanca as the weather is generally good and eay to get to and if I win sufficent will leave half the week in Spain and the other half in Haywards Heath for the football season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here