Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Buying property abroad

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone done it? Giving some serious thought to buying a holiday home for the family somewhere warm and sunny but I'm a little bit trepedatious.

You hear horror stories of people losing their homes because the developer didn't have planning permission or because the property was 3 inches taller than its plans permitted, but is that common? Also a little nervous as to how easy it might be to sell should I ever need to - I understand foreign property markets move a little slower than over here.

Looking for somewhere within 3 hours of the UK with decent food and amenities for kids. Any recommendations?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Ask @Nibble, he's the resident expert at living overseas!!

0 Not allowed!
      be careful......a friends dad bought a place in spain , he spent 20 thousand quid on it only for the deeds to be proved false and the property given back to the original owner......he now has a nice little bedsit in clifton rd....not.
      FLOUNDERING...!!!

0 Not allowed!
      Germany is fecking brilliant .....apparently.....
      FLOUNDERING...!!!

2 Not allowed!
      If I was to buy abroad it would be Menorca. Under 2 hours from Gatwick and 45 mins flight from Barcelona. Plus some of the best beaches in Europe.
      How Random
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sydney View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Germany is fecking brilliant .....apparently.....
      Just the place for hot sun and sandy beaches.

0 Not allowed!
      Bought a villa two years ago in Spain
      "All you touch & all you see, is all your life will ever be"

Pink Floyd

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Poojah View Post
      Anyone done it? Giving some serious thought to buying a holiday home for the family somewhere warm and sunny but I'm a little bit trepedatious.

You hear horror stories of people losing their homes because the developer didn't have planning permission or because the property was 3 inches taller than its plans permitted, but is that common? Also a little nervous as to how easy it might be to sell should I ever need to - I understand foreign property markets move a little slower than over here.

Looking for somewhere within 3 hours of the UK with decent food and amenities for kids. Any recommendations?
      I bought in Tenerife 3 years ago, all very straightforward. The local (English) agent took care of everything. It's 4 hours away but we bought there for winter sun and warmth. We did consider the Med but we wanted something specifically for Winter and the Med doesn't really do it (to the same extent). Plus scores of dirt cheap flights!

The Spanish market has settled down now and I believe the boom/bust days are largely over.

Happy to give more detailed advice, feel free to PM if you are interested in specifics

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sydney View Post
      be careful......a friends dad bought a place in spain , he spent 20 thousand quid on it only for the deeds to be proved false and the property given back to the original owner
      20k was the total cost of the property? Or he bought it, and then spent 20k doing it up - in which case, did he get the purchase price back?
      Checking the league table
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Don't buy off plan! You may think you can save some cash but the stress isn't worth it. Look for an established property in an area where there are already holiday properties