Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BA global IT system failure

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Therefore
Primary reason is poor hardware system design
Secondary reason: lack of or poor system acceptance testing

its deeper than that. what ties the IT system so tightly to the aircraft on the ground? do they have no regional or local IT systems capable of holding data (say passenger lists, something i suspect may be the cause of this), so that a failure in Heathrow doesnt ground aircraft in Australia. its sympomatic of attitude to IT, companies have reliance on IT systems then not recognised as core to the business - not just merely something that aids the business, but the tool that enables them to do what they do today.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
How and earth did we manage to fly around the globe without computers back in the day ?

Radio, Maths and lots and lots buttons

De_Havilland_DH106_Comet_4_G-APDB_Cockpit.JPG

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Speaking as someone who works in the, what used to be called , DR, disaster recovery business, something doesn't quite fit here.

BA Have more that 1 backup site, in fact they have a series of failover sites that are tested to death on a regular basis.
All CER sites have N+1 as standard failover and in the case of the bigger sites, we have n+ 4 or 5 ( yes I know that is not a technical term but you know what I am getting at) depending on the generator capacity.
All cer sites are covered by UPS systems that are now linked to systems that monitor flow and report on power outages, spikes, blips or whatever you want to call them.
To suggest everything went down because one centre had a power issue I said nonsense.
To suggest it is cutting costs, is not wholly plausible. Yes they have outsourced to India, the Philippines and really really cheap places, but if it is a power issue, that is covered at th local site, let's say Didcot for example. Whilst the itSystems will be looked after by offshore companies, the power systems and CER maintanance wil all be done, and is, locally at the shop floor.
ALl engineers are highly trained and constantly undergo disaster scenario training so this must have been a hell of a catastrophic failure to take out as much as it did.

Something doesn't add up.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I really don't get BA. Me and Mrs W needed flights to Oz, one way only, Emirates was £600 odd each, BA was £2k each! Both economy fares, and I understand that Emirates are subsidised but not to that degree. A basket case that can only go bust if it continues that pricing policy.

UK Airlines need to looking at pricing, the issue is the massive Tax - you can buy a ticket to Dubai for £40 - but with the tax it makes it £400

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I really don't get BA. Me and Mrs W needed flights to Oz, one way only, Emirates was £600 odd each, BA was £2k each! Both economy fares, and I understand that Emirates are subsidised but not to that degree. A basket case that can only go bust if it continues that pricing policy.

just as an interest .. what was Qantas ? i bet similar to BA ? .. shows you how much Emirates is subsidised .

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
just as an interest .. what was Qantas ? i bet similar to BA ? .. shows you how much Emirates is subsidised .

Emirates and Quantas are 'partner' airlines, so the price is identical.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Agreed but too many companies amke the savings from their IT budgets. They see IT as an annoying expense when in reality it's what helps them still make money. If I had a pound for every IT Director that's asked me if DR and redundancy was really worth the cost I'd be retired. With their penny pinching they actually waste money by introducing single points of failure make any further investment in redunancy pointless.

I work in a company that supplies IT to airlines. Our company says that airlines don't realise they are IT companies that fly planes. They rely so heavily on IT but treat it so badly.

If Joe Public got to see how reservation systems 'worked' they would never book a flight again. They are completely archaic and fundamentally the same systems from the 70's!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Speaking as someone who works in the, what used to be called , DR, disaster recovery business, something doesn't quite fit here.

BA Have more that 1 backup site, in fact they have a series of failover sites that are tested to death on a regular basis.
All CER sites have N+1 as standard failover and in the case of the bigger sites, we have n+ 4 or 5 ( yes I know that is not a technical term but you know what I am getting at) depending on the generator capacity.
All cer sites are covered by UPS systems that are now linked to systems that monitor flow and report on power outages, spikes, blips or whatever you want to call them.
To suggest everything went down because one centre had a power issue I said nonsense.
To suggest it is cutting costs, is not wholly plausible. Yes they have outsourced to India, the Philippines and really really cheap places, but if it is a power issue, that is covered at th local site, let's say Didcot for example. Whilst the itSystems will be looked after by offshore companies, the power systems and CER maintanance wil all be done, and is, locally at the shop floor.
ALl engineers are highly trained and constantly undergo disaster scenario training so this must have been a hell of a catastrophic failure to take out as much as it did.

Exactly, I don't know anything about the BA infrastructure, but having systems that can cause that much trouble susceptible to a power failure, is either rubbish or irresponsible.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex

I would suggest they are not testing failover scenarios on a regular basis at all. If they did, this sort of event would not occur.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would suggest they are not testing failover scenarios on a regular basis at all. If they did, this sort of event would not occur.

Experience will tell me that you are wrong old chap!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agree with you........something catastrophic has happened. Inconceivable that a 'power failure' would have this impact on something so critical.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
That's what happens when you make your IT department redundant and outsource to save a couple of bob.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here