Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huge storms you've been caught up in

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nothing compared to anything you see in America but growing up in Australia I've seen a fair amount of storms that make the ones in England look a breeze.. Worst one I can remember was in 2010, about 160,000 homes lost power and I think I read it caused a billion dollars in damages.
Millions of homes were without power after the 87 storm, and I imagine the damages were pretty high.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
October 2013 saw a huge storm across the South Coast, Channel and northern France. I was on holiday with my ex in Normandy and we had to transfer to Le Havre to catch a ferry as the Dieppe to Newhaven had been cancelled because it was unsafe for the smaller ferry. I've never ever experienced anything like that before. The boat tilting at what appeared to be 45 degrees and more for the entire journey and the noise from the waves hitting the boat. Goodness knows what it must be like down at the Cape Horn or the Cape of Good Hope.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
https://youtu.be/w0zOhjSeNyc

Insane weather - working in a factory with a tin roof - sounded like a plane crashing on us as it approached. Balls of ice like grapefruits smashing through the roof and torrents of water. Huge spiders from the rafters descending the walls to escape. The brick walls were the only safe places to stand against!!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Got caught up in the tail end of a hurricane when in Barbados and lived through a cyclone here a few years ago.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
October 2013 saw a huge storm across the South Coast, Channel and northern France. I was on holiday with my ex in Normandy and we had to transfer to Le Havre to catch a ferry as the Dieppe to Newhaven had been cancelled because it was unsafe for the smaller ferry. I've never ever experienced anything like that before. The boat tilting at what appeared to be 45 degrees and more for the entire journey and the noise from the waves hitting the boat. Goodness knows what it must be like down at the Cape Horn or the Cape of Good Hope.

Actually that reminds me of a time we were going to take a Sally Line from Ramsgate but they closed the port due to a force 10 storm warning, could see a ferry anchored off the coast as it was to stormy to come into port, so we went down to Dover and caught a ferry from there, I have to say it was probably the scariest trip across the channel ever.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Insane weather - working in a factory with a tin roof - sounded like a plane crashing on us as it approached. Balls of ice like grapefruits smashing through the roof and torrents of water. Huge spiders from the rafters descending the walls to escape. The brick walls were the only safe places to stand against!!

was living in a flat on Botany Bay back then .....we heard that storm coming in from the south , it sounded like a jumbo jet coming in , a friend who lived in Surry Hills got a 170k insurance pay out....his roof literally caved in after being smashed by hail stones like the ones in that picture.....there was a story about a guy who was out in a tin dinghy on the bay fishing alone....what a way to go...!!!

another time in Perth was driving up the coast when some rather evil looking clouds turned daylight into relative darkness....140mm of rain in less than an hour and over 3000 lightning strikes , one of which was my car...!!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

was living in a flat on Botany Bay back then .....we heard that storm coming in from the south , it sounded like a jumbo jet coming in , a friend who lived in Surry Hills got a 170k insurance pay out....his roof literally caved in after being smashed by hail stones like the ones in that picture.....there was a story about a guy who was out in a tin dinghy on the bay fishing alone....what a way to go...!!!

another time in Perth was driving up the coast when some rather evil looking clouds turned daylight into relative darkness....140mm of rain in less than an hour and over 3000 lightning strikes , one of which was my car...!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I remember one summers day, June, July time, probably back in the 80s when at midday the sky turned so black it looked like night time, the news even featured Gatwick airport in this 'black out', never seen anything like it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Driving into Disneyland Orlando on 1994 I have never seen rain fall like it. All the traffic stopped for 20 minutes. Luckily we were on a bit of a ramp, so the flood swept past us. Having said that, their drainag esystems were pretty effective.
Worst was here in 1987 when anyone waking up without some damage was lucky.

Another vote for Florida.
Ive seen some corkers in Australia and on the equator in Africa, but got caught in a thunderstorm outside Tampa that was biblical.I never thought so much rain could fall so heavily in one spot. To make matters worse i was on the interstate and all the traffic was clearly panicking including the truck drivers who continued to drive full pelt in the fast lane. The final straw was when my windscreen wipers packed in and i had to lean out the window and wipe down with my arm as i followed a line of barely visible red lights into what turned out to be a rest area.
Complete gibbering wreck.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Another vote for Florida.
Ive seen some corkers in Australia and on the equator in Africa, but got caught in a thunderstorm outside Tampa that was biblical.I never thought so much rain could fall so heavily in one spot. To make matters worse i was on the interstate and all the traffic was clearly panicking including the truck drivers who continued to drive full pelt in the fast lane. The final straw was when my windscreen wipers packed in and i had to lean out the window and wipe down with my arm as i followed a line of barely visible red lights into what turned out to be a rest area.
Complete gibbering wreck.

You could set the clock by Floridian thunderstorms.

I was driving south on I-95 in Miami when it hit around 2pm.

The only thing to do was exit at the nearest point and that's what I did in North Miami and ended up on a shopping mall parking lot.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You could set the clock by Floridian thunderstorms.

I was driving south on I-95 in Miami when it hit around 2pm.

The only thing to do was exit at the nearest point and that's what I did in North Miami and ended up on a shopping mall parking lot.

Turned up at my sisters a soaked wreck and she said "oh yeah,forgot to say stay off the roads in the afternoon......it can get a bit wet"

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
About 10 years ago on a family trip to Jersey - we went on the catamaran from Poole and it was so rough that going outside was banned, the ship was going up and down like a tart's knickers and you could hear the bottles of perfume and alcohol flying off the shelves and smashing in the gift shop - I dread to think of the mess and smell when they opened that up.

It didn't help that we were held outside the harbour for an hour waiting for a berth when we did eventually get to Jersey.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Travelling through storms. I remember a few more. First time I ever flew we were descending straight into an electrical storm, that was seriously scary, unfortunately, two weeks later coming home we flew through another one. I was never going to fly again after those experiences.

Another time flying from GSP to Atlanta, a 20 minute flight, so the plane never gets above the clouds, the storm was enormous and I seriously didn't think we'd make it. I was at the front so I could hear all the instruments going off in the cockpit. We dipped so many times I thought I'd shit myself. The woman sitting next to me actually grabbed me at one point where she thought we were going to our death.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India

Precisely! Sounded exactly like a low flying jumbo jet as the storm approached. I was working the evening shift in a junk mail factory out East in Sydenham/St Peters suburbs (Junkyville). Despite the drone of the machines all the workers dropped tools thinking a plane was crashing on us - then the skies opened! Truly apocalyptic - walking out after it had past felt a bit like that scene in 24 hours later - devastation.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
bin.jpg

Terrible wind in Robertsbridge last winter caused this!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Winter 77-78ish,a two week blow in the Iceland gap, doing secret stuff, roughest sea I saw in 15 years at sea, no hot food, strapped into your bed to sleep, numerous injuries to the crew from being thrown about.
We got back to Rosyth, anything not actually welded to the ships superstructure had gone, the breakwaters on the forecastle(the sharp end) had been bent flat, and, the best bit, the barrels on both our 4.5 inch guns, the big ones on the front, were bent out of true. We had to have a six week mini re-fit.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Winter 77-78ish,a two week blow in the Iceland gap, doing secret stuff, roughest sea I saw in 15 years at sea, no hot food, strapped into your bed to sleep, numerous injuries to the crew from being thrown about.
We got back to Rosyth, anything not actually welded to the ships superstructure had gone, the breakwaters on the forecastle(the sharp end) had been bent flat, and, the best bit, the barrels on both our 4.5 inch guns, the big ones on the front, were bent out of true. We had to have a six week mini re-fit.

I can see the lamps swinging, right now.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
We were staying in Sile, Turkey on the Black sea coast (what a god forsaken place) ! There was this electric storm. We were in a hotel by the lighthouse. Only god knows what provisions had been made re evacuation of the building in the event of a fire. I remember wondering what use the bucket of sand on our landing would be in the event of an apocalyptic scenario. The fact the power went out was inconsequential. The forked lightning lit up the sky for what seemed like an eternity. I was scared shitless and had to consume the duty frees, using them as a sort of reality escape kit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here