Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

God Save The Queen

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
40 years ago today.

It hit a chord with me then and it still does today.

It gave me an outlet for my teenage aggression.
Like the Sex pistols or not , they made a difference and gave us something different.
To this day i still find them an obsession.

And i still drive the van that carried Johnny's fish & chips :)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Yes agree, great to be part of it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
As an 'older git' than the previous posters, I have to say: 50 years ago,' The Summer of Love', was more my thing, better music and happy days.
Each to their own though.:D

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Saw the UK SUBS the other week, still fantatsic Charlie must be 73 (possibly this weekend) will see them again in November in Lewes.

Brilliant 40 years on - Born a Rocker, Die a Rocker

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BBC rigged the charts to keep GSTQ at number 2 spot to in order to properly dof the cap to Her Majesty in her Silver Jubilee week in favour of Rod Stewart. Fact.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
BBC rigged the charts to keep GSTQ at number 2 spot to in order to properly dof the cap to Her Majesty in her Silver Jubilee week in favour of Rod Stewart. Fact.

Was it the BBC or the organisation that co-ordinated the charts?

Either was it was an affront to the WILL OF THE PEOPLE.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
As an 'older git' than the previous posters, I have to say: 50 years ago,' The Summer of Love', was more my thing, better music and happy days.
Each to their own though.:D

Yes, fellow old git, I agree with you about the Summer of Love's music and happier atmosphere, but I could still get excited, in a totally different way, about the Pistols.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One album wonders weren't they?

Johnny Rotten was a **** and is a **** and he sold out with his butter advert. Don't get it at all. Possibly too old

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
It was the start and/or culmination of a movement. That gets my vote for what it is. It was a reflection of the times, the youth culture and the backlash against society which had been brewing for years.

That's my complimentary sentence over with. I think their music is crap, and Lydon is an absolute tosser.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
One album wonders weren't they?

Johnny Rotten was a **** and is a **** and he sold out with his butter advert. Don't get it at all. Possibly too old

Hmm, not so sure about that. Saw PIL at the Concorde a few years back and he/they were superb! Magnificent stage prescence as only a true 'front man' can hold. But agree the butter advert was a bit sh1t (albeit it enabled him to fund his much loved PIL stuff).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hmm, not so sure about that. Saw PIL at the Concorde a few years back and he/they were superb! Magnificent stage prescence as only a true 'front man' can hold. But agree the butter advert was a bit sh1t (albeit it enabled him to fund his much loved PIL stuff).

I accept he was a cult hero to a generation, just not mine :smile:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

a "fact" let down by the BBC not being responsible for compiling the chart.

theboybilly

It was the start and/or culmination of a movement. That gets my vote for what it is. It was a reflection of the times, the youth culture and the backlash against society which had been brewing for years.

That's my complimentary sentence over with. I think their music is crap, and Lydon is an absolute tosser.

A 'movement' that is by now just paying off their mortgages on their suburban semis and driving their grandkids to school in 4x4s

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
A 'movement' that is by now just paying off their mortgages on their suburban semis and driving their grandkids to school in 4x4s

It's called 'getting old'...

Rebellious Energy is replaced by Lethargic Grumpiness.

God Save the Drop-In Centre. (ch-weow, ch-weow, ch-weoww)... I mean it, Sta-an.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
40 years since God Save The Queen.
50 years since Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Just ten years between them; seemed like a whole generation - and some - at the time!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here