Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever won a competition?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I won Inigo Calderon's signed boots at the fans' appreciation meal.

It felt wrong for an old codger like me to have them, so found a good home for them in the son of [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]

Gabriel still talks about that and we are eternally grateful. And you also gave him the signed shirt from the Quiz. You're a scholar and a gentleman, sir.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I won a copy of Barry McGuigan's Boxing on the Commodore 64 from the Eastbourne Herald. I also won an art competition for Midland Bank and got some pastels despite being rubbish at art. Quite a few things through the old Heroes and Winners scheme - Signed shirt, club shop voucher, Xmas party tickets etc. but I suppose that was more of a lottery.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I won the Frog Skin Similarity trophy - made of frog organs - 2008. "Rubbery and a tad squelchy", my dermis was described as by Dr Emmet T Huggis as he squeezed me almost into unconsciousness with his coarse and mighty thumbs. The trophy was turned into a soup, and I met a temporary girlfriend who'd deed-polled her name to Hodgeheg to sway the judges in her vermin or not vermin round. She was allergic to milk too.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Absolutely true story....

My mum used to work in the bookshop in North Street (Websters?), they had a woman come in one day and ask for "The book about dinosaur words" for her son. They all looked puzzled but she pulled out a piece of paper and written on it was "Roger the Saurus"

Yes that one's true. Along with the woman who went to a bookshop to buy her children Lionel Ritchie's Wardrobe. Still I suppose they would get through it if they read it all night long.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
Many moons ago I won £500 on the old seagulls lottery.

About 15 years ago, in a summer raffle at work, I won 2 return flights to South Africa.

Few years ago I also won an iPhone 4.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
£20 deposited in a 'new bank account' by Lloyds Bank when I was 15 (1981) for answering a few general knowledge questions on a form that I sent in. Obviously a marketing ploy - it worked though as still use the same account.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Almost won a football signed by the 1980 Albion squad in a raffle at school. My ticket was second out of the hat - and I got a kettle!

I also was described on the front cover of 'Tree News' as 'photo competition winner' for a picture of a tree in Langdale. The prize for the 'winner of this month's competition' was a bottle of malt. However, I never received it - and when I asked about it by email twice, I got no answer. I gave up entering competitions then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/20464917

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Back in the 90s won a cd Walkman with a Cadbury Caramel chocolate bar. Just opened the wrapper and inside was congratulations phone this number.

When iPods first came out won one by texting a code from a coke bottle. Never usually entered competitions but was bored waiting for train so did it.

Last year won a slot for my son to be a mascot at Non League Finals day by retweeting something from the FA. Randomly he ended up being a mascot for Grimsby but got to walk out onto the pitch at Wembley in front of 50,000+ spectators. Probably the only kid in Hove with a full Grimsby kit in his wardrobe.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Personally, nothing much, but my wife won the 'Trip to Sweden' top prize in the IKEA 'swipe a prize' promotion.

4* hotel in Stockholm for 4 nights, for 4 people - flights, private transfers, top rooms, £500 spending money, canoe tour, city 'viking' tour, and all meals and drinks.

We didn't know how they would manage the 'meals and drinks' part, but turns out that rather than vouchers for the hotel restaurant, which we expected, it is just a shitload of CASH. £200 for each evening meal for 4, and £150 for each lunch! The cheque, with the 'spending money' is for £1,900!

We are going in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it immensely.

Went to Stockholm recently and a word of warning: that money will probably only cover your drinks bill in restaurants. If you don't drink it will go a long way. Enjoy though, it sounds like an awesome trip.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As a manic attendee of Jools Holland Later.
I was desperate to see his unplugged program with just Oasis, at the Shepherds Bush Empire.
Put my name on the usual waiting lists at the BBC, but to no avail.
I know, I know, but the Sun were giving a few pairs of tickets away for the show.
Tried my luck, and hey presto I won a pair of tickets for the above show.
Ended up front row, rubbing shoulders with the like of Kate Moss, Goldie and other Gallagher hanger on'ers.:cool:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
£700 of John Lewis vouchers about four years ago, for very briefly reviewing online some product. I didn't realise that there was a prize, until the vouchers arrived.

Have REM dreamed over the years that we've just won the National Lottery, sadly crushed on waking up.

My aunt and uncle won Vernon's Pools in 1972, an amount which in real terms according to the Bank of England website is the equivalent of £925,000 today. They were pretty poor until then, living in a small rented flat in Brighton, it enable them to retire young, buy a nice house and travel.

Last edited:

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I won a range cooker. This was when I lived in a second-floor flat in London with limited access, so it stayed at my parents' house for years until they sold the place, with one still-wrapped cooker included.

But the prize came with an extensive dining set and casserole dishes, which I still use to this day.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I won a Special Edition PlayStation 1 (Formula 1) and a tee-shirt in a national newspaper about 1996. There were 10 to be won if I remember correctly, a couple of years after its launch and I still got it (don't use it now though).

I was of one ten shortlisted to win a Mercedes A-class and went to Brighton Marina for the final. It was down to two and the other contestant stepped up to try the key he had in his hand - it didn't open the door - I thought I'd won.

I stepped up and mine didn't work - the other person then tried again and this time it did work - it was a let down. Anyway I won the runners-up prize of a Smart car for a weekend.

As runner-up prizes go, that really isn't one.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
1978, Enfield. Accompanying my dear old Nan to her Women's Institute club. Was given the honour of drawing first raffle prize...

Picked out my own ticket, kept the prize (can't remember what it was though - probably wine for Nan!)

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
A few things over the years...
A signed euro 92 England football squad football
£800 on a TalkSport breakfast show competition
I was one of the first 20 people to go on the King Alfred's waterslides in 1986
A brand new VHS of Empire Strikes Back when it was first released on video
A Sony PlayStation and monitor
Tickets to watch Steffi Graf
A Withdean Wager...twice!
A Whitney Houston cd!