Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's With This New Trend Of Managers RESIGNING?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fat Sam? Moyes? Monk?

Is there a new smart standard clause in their contract that says you get your contract paid up in full if you resign, or what?

Time was when managers would cling to their jobs for dear life until they got paid off.

What changed?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Fat Sam? Moyes? Monk?

Is there a new smart standard clause in their contract that says you get your contract paid up in full if you resign, or what?

Time was when managers would cling to their jobs for dear life until they got paid off.

What changed?
Money. After a career in football they don't need the jobs in the same way as football people did 20+ years ago.

In related news: On top of all he's already earned in his career Wayne Rooney now has to decide if he really needs the additional 26 million quid he'll get for seeing out his contract for the next two years as a Man U reserve.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Money. After a career in football they don't need the jobs in the same way as football people did 20+ years ago.

Fair enough in the case of Fat Sam. But youngish guys like Moyes and Monk? Reckon it's a just a new and standard way of getting rid of a manager with a payoff while leaving the manager's CV untarnished by a sacking.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I see it the other way round. If a club gets a name for sacking managers it doesn't reflect well on them when they're hiring.

Pay them handsomely to resign, give a spurious excuse which doesn't damage the clubs reputation, and everyone wins.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Fair enough in the case of Fat Sam. But youngish guys like Moyes and Monk? Reckon it's a just a new and standard way of getting rid of a manager with a payoff while leaving the manager's CV untarnished by a sacking.
Moyes will have a tidy sum put aside. Monk has another job lined up.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Moyes will have a tidy sum put aside. Monk has another job lined up.

Fair enough, not doubting that both these things are true, but why not wait a month or two to be sacked and have the remaining term of your contract paid up? Unless of course the new deal for the new club covers that loss of payoff.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Clubs/Owners don't like to appear as though they are sacking managers.

Both parties win.

I am still of the opinion that this is what happened with Sami. Something along the lines of "Look, either you announce your resignation or we sack you. You can leave with your reputation somewhat intact or not."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am still of the opinion that this is what happened with Sami. Something along the lines of "Look, either you announce your resignation or we sack you. You can leave with your reputation somewhat intact or not."

I reckon the Junior Seagulls Party did for Sami. Bloom was already on a plane bound for the Southern Hemisphere and a very merry :xmas: down under. Would probably have left us to sleepwalk into League One through his, in some ways admirable, tho ultimately misguided, loyalty to his manager. Nope, the more you think about it, the more the Junior Seagulls turned the fortunes of the club around. Pretty sure Sami picked up on the vibes. Out of the mouths of babes and all that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here