Man Utd's season

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
League cup winners
Europa cup winners
Qualify for Champions league.

Not a bad season I would suggest.

Chelsea may do the double,can't compete with that.
But if Arsenal win the F.A cup, who would have had the better season Chelsea or Man Utd.

Is a league title better than a European trophy & a league cup.If you add the charity shield UTD have won 3 trophys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Chelsea won league, end.

European football......:shrug:

FA Cup comes first.

theboybilly

Chelsea have had the better season - just. The League title must pip the Europa League win but what excited me tonight was the type of player and manager we are going to see at the Amex next season. I can't wait for the visit of some of the support either. It's going to be great whatever happens.

Back to United - I think Jose will run Conte very, very close next season. In reality it was only their lack of goals that counted against them (causing so many dropped points especially at home) and the real handicap of all those Thursday night games

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Was their lack of goals contributed by their emphasis on not conceding.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Coming sixth in a six horse race, despite spending £166 million on new players in the summer, following on from spending £167 million and £151 million in the previous two season, and having a wage bill that looks as if it will hit £260 million, by far the highest in the world.

For that they won the League Cup and the Europa Cup where they beat the might of Rostov, Anderlecht, Celta Vigo and an Ajax teamwirh an average age of 22.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hardly anyone cares too much about the champions league anymore, let alone the europa league or whatever pointless thing man u won last night.

The only people who tend to care are supporters of the clubs involved and the people who can make $$$ from them.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Lets be honest, Jose targetted the Europa Cup. He knew, deep down, it was easier to win than a whole season long struggle to make the top four. He got the League Cup in the bag nice and early, as he regularly did at Chelsea, so that was an early notch on his belt.
All his career, he has only been interested in winning trophies, irrespective of their status. Thats his buzz, his motivation. For weeks now, he has been moody and broody waiting for this game. Trophy lifted, shackles off, like an excited schoolboy, as worked up as any of his players.
Conte and Mourinho have both had impressive seasons but if Chelsea win the double, the Italian is a clear winner. Without the FAC, Conte still just shades it for me. His bold and brave strategy to completely change tactics early in the season deserve the highest praise. Boldness always pays off in football ( take heed BHA )

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Man Utd can certainly claim to have had better season's than Spurs, Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
League cup winners
Europa cup winners
Qualify for Champions league.

Not a bad season I would suggest.

Chelsea may do the double,can't compete with that.
But if Arsenal win the F.A cup, who would have had the better season Chelsea or Man Utd.

Is a league title better than a European trophy & a league cup.If you add the charity shield UTD have won 3 trophys.

I think there are two main competitions here...the premier, which by winning it, Chelsea proved to be the best team over a long period and played some sparkling stuff and then of course the champions league which has arguably the best teams in the world playing in it. I think Real Madrid are the best team around at the moment and again watching them play is a different level to most teams.

To think, we will be competing in the same league as Chelsea and Manchester teams next year is a bit unbelievable still.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Chelsea. The Premier League is a long-haul. No lucky games, nothing hanging on one ref's decision - it's a slog. Anyone who wins that after 38 matches has done it well, and deserves it.

Mourinho when the first goal went in last night was a sad sight. He just sat back, slumped in his chair, expressionless whilst his staff around him were bouncing around with joy. Does he think that's cool? Whatever...

Anyway, as the Premier League (oh, hey... that's us then) we are represented even more amongst the World Elite thanks to Man Utd nullifying a bunch of players who don't even have a razor in their kit bags.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Coming sixth in a six horse race, despite spending £166 million on new players in the summer, following on from spending £167 million and £151 million in the previous two season, and having a wage bill that looks as if it will hit £260 million, by far the highest in the world.

For that they won the League Cup and the Europa Cup where they beat the might of Rostov, Anderlecht, Celta Vigo and an Ajax teamwirh an average age of 22.

Interesting stuff as always, but you're letting your own anti-rags bias get in the way of objectivity. Firstly, the wage bill of the previous two seasons are nothing to do with this season, so pointless mentioning it - it wasn't on Mourinho's watch as he was busy winning the title elsewhere. Secondly, United have an enormous wage bill because they have had to over-pay to get their players as a sort of compensation for them not playing in the champions league. For example, a year ago Paul Pogba could have chosen anybody, and any champions league team. For United to compete for his signature, they'd have had to blow the wage offerings of other clubs out of the water.

Onto this season, I suspect Mourinho's only remit was to make sure they were in the Champions League. They are. Job done. It's a success. They've enhanced their season further by winning a league cup too. Only a "nice to have" for a club of that size, but they'll take it.

I agree with you on their league performance. Sixth in a 6 horse race is not good enough, and I'm sure they'll expect better next season. In my opinion, next season will show us whether Mourinho really is still a top, top manager, or whether he has a shelf life like nearly every other manager in the game.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Interesting stuff as always, but you're letting your own anti-rags bias get in the way of objectivity. Firstly, the wage bill of the previous two seasons are nothing to do with this season, so pointless mentioning it - it wasn't on Mourinho's watch as he was busy winning the title elsewhere. Secondly, United have an enormous wage bill because they have had to over-pay to get their players as a sort of compensation for them not playing in the champions league. For example, a year ago Paul Pogba could have chosen anybody, and any champions league team. For United to compete for his signature, they'd have had to blow the wage offerings of other clubs out of the water.

Onto this season, I suspect Mourinho's only remit was to make sure they were in the Champions League. They are. Job done. It's a success. They've enhanced their season further by winning a league cup too. Only a "nice to have" for a club of that size, but they'll take it.

I agree with you on their league performance. Sixth in a 6 horse race is not good enough, and I'm sure they'll expect better next season. In my opinion, next season will show us whether Mourinho really is still a top, top manager, or whether he has a shelf life like nearly every other manager in the game.

Fair enough.

However last season Maureen was sacked by Chelsea for skirting too close to relegation, rather than winning a title.

If a small club such as Crystal Palace had won the League Cup and Europa Cup I would have said it was a good return, but this is Manchester United, and, whilst I am far fonder of the blue part of the city, they should be delivering decent silverware. Last night was the equivalent of the Albion under 23's winning the Sussex Senior Cup, as you say, nice to have, but won't live long in the memory.

As for the wage bill and signings of the last two seasons, it has given Maureen an inheritance of players, De Gea, Rooney, Smalling, Mata, Martial, Jones, Valencia, Fellaini et al that most managers would have been delighted to have on their first day in the job.

I'll give you the full SP on JM the next time we meet!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here