Votes: 8 10.8%
  • Your Mum.

Votes: 10 13.5%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not a f***ing burrito; Mexicans wouldn't recognise it as such. It's just a roast dinner, wrapped inside a Yorkshire pudding. It's just a pile of nonsense.

I just looked up the history of the term and whilst we commonly know the burrito as a flour based tortilla the term seems be derived from its appearance as opposed to its ingredients or other. In some parts of Mexico its called a flauta (or flute) which backs this up. My point being is [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]'s item can be referred to as a burrito....albeit a British one.

I actually like this sort of "nonsense" i.e. the messing and mixing and evolution of food cultures. I'm a huge fan of the balti pie which to me is the ultimate post-modern culinary response to multicultural Britain. This is the same.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I just looked up the history of the term and whilst we commonly know the burrito as a flour based tortilla the term seems be derived from its appearance as opposed to its ingredients or other. In some parts of Mexico its called a flauta (or flute) which backs this up. My point being is [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]'s item can be referred to as a burrito....albeit a British one.

I actually like this sort of "nonsense" i.e. the messing and mixing of food cultures. I'm a huge fan of the balti pie which to me is the ultimate post-modern culinary response to multicultural Britain. This is the same.

I'm glad you've looked that up. I'd also add that no-one seems to have a problem with the concept of a lump of cooked batter mix, served up with a Sunday roast as 'pudding'. Can't see why anyone would get so aerated about a new way to serve up a Sunday roast.

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
Not for me - I want to choose what order I eat my roast dinnner in. Beef with a potato... yum! Beef with peas... no thanks but separately fine

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nothing wrong with this conFusion cooking. If the flour mix has eggs in it it's a Yorkshire pudding roast dinner burrito. If it doesn't have eggs it's a Sunday roast burrito. I guess it does have eggs originating in Halifax.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's a gastro-pub in Halifax that has created the Yorkshire Pudding Burrito. Roast pork, apple sauce, roast potatoes, parsnips, mint peas, bit of gravy all wrapped up in a Yorkshire Pud. When there are Englishmen and women still coming up with great new inventions such as this, it gives me hope for mankind. How about this on the menu at the Amex?

67nnlt.jpg

Finally! Brit equivalent of the lunchtime anytime Greek gyro. Maybe skip the apple sauce, but in every other aspect just about PERFICK! :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I actually like this sort of "nonsense" i.e. the messing and mixing and evolution of food cultures. I'm a huge fan of the balti pie which to me is the ultimate post-modern culinary response to multicultural Britain. This is the same.

I'm going to continue my grumpy tiredness. This is not messing or mixing food cultures. It's simply retaining all the ingredients of one dish, and messing with its presentation. To mess and mix with different cultures used to be named fusion which was popular in the 1990s and, fortunately, it's fallen out of favour since.

RE: balti pie, yup, that works as does the madras and, to a lesser extent, jalfrezi one but, sticking on the theme of this thread, the chilli one is even better.

RE burrito: I've looked it up in Alan Davidson's Oxford Companion to Food and it doesn't appear, so I've had a quick glance at the following which doesn't really help either of us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrito

I've also had a quick search for a misery guts emoticon, but couldn't find one

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
I have just been making yorkies and putting Hagen das strawberry cheesecake ice cream in them , absolutely amazing

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Only slightly OT but if anyone is ever in Islington, give Bombay Burrito opposite the Angel building a try. Curry in a burrito is simply genius and I regularly have one for lunch when I'm at work

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm going to continue my grumpy tiredness. This is not messing or mixing food cultures. It's simply retaining all the ingredients of one dish, and messing with its presentation. To mess and mix with different cultures used to be named fusion which was popular in the 1990s and, fortunately, it's fallen out of favour since.

RE: balti pie, yup, that works as does the madras and, to a lesser extent, jalfrezi one but, sticking on the theme of this thread, the chilli one is even better.

RE burrito: I've looked it up in Alan Davidson's Oxford Companion to Food and it doesn't appear, so I've had a quick glance at the following which doesn't really help either of us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrito

I've also had a quick search for a misery guts emoticon, but couldn't find one

At least we agree on the balti pie :smile:

The balti pie is simple but brilliant in my mind and whilst tasting great also embodies a lot of things I believe in. Pair this with a cold Brewdog Punk IPA and you don't need much more in life.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
At least we agree on the balti pie :smile:

The balti pie is simple but brilliant in my mind and whilst tasting great also embodies a lot of things I believe in. Pair this with a cold Brewdog Punk IPA and you don't need much more in life.

Its just meat in pastry
Its really nothing to get excited about unless you are lacking evidence of things that back up your worldview.

Does beef wellington stir up rumblings of beating the frogs or is it just a fine piece of meat in pastry that tastes delicious

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
There's a gastro-pub in Halifax that has created the Yorkshire Pudding Burrito. Roast pork, apple sauce, roast potatoes, parsnips, mint peas, bit of gravy all wrapped up in a Yorkshire Pud. When there are Englishmen and women still coming up with great new inventions such as this, it gives me hope for mankind. How about this on the menu at the Amex?

67nnlt.jpg

With good old Brits still coming up with top stuff like this, it kinda reinforces that we'll be alright after Brexit.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

67nnlt.jpg

Oh that is a little bit of heaven right there, the only thing I would change is the apple sauce absolutely hate apple unless they are in a snakebite & black.

I would also imagine this being squeezed into a nice buttered bap in Wigan...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its just meat in pastry
Its really nothing to get excited about unless you are lacking evidence of things that back up your worldview.

Does beef wellington stir up rumblings of beating the frogs or is it just a fine piece of meat in pastry that tastes delicious

I get excited by food for a variety of reasons. I'll leave it here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh that is a little bit of heaven right there, the only thing I would change is the apple sauce absolutely hate apple unless they are in a snakebite & black.

I would also imagine this being squeezed into a nice buttered bap in Wigan...

Snakebite and black; you lived in Camden for too long :lolol:

Do you remember the Devonshire Arms?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Snakebite and black; you lived in Camden for too long :lolol:

Do you remember the Devonshire Arms?

You know it, the mad thing was I would occasionally go out with a coffin shaped hip flask with absinthe in it, which I would add to the snakebite.....

I stopped all that shenanigans about 8 years ago though.... about the time I moved outta Camden funnily enough :lolol:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I had a roast beef version of this about 8 years ago in Nottingham it was tremendous. Hopefully these become a bit more popular.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here