Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Manchester United or Ajax (or meh)?

Who do you want to win the Europa League final?

• Manchester United

Votes: 93 38.0%
  • Ajax

Votes: 89 36.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 63 25.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
That makes no sense.

1. Before the fixtures are out that's an entirely random call - our relegation rivals are equally as likely to benefit from a potential weakened team. It could very easily work against us.

2. If they don't win, then they'd be in next season's Europa League, so would be playing us (or, again, a rival) a couple of days after a 3000 mile trip to Baku on a Thursday night.

Yes, fair enough. I'll go back to sleep.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd prefer Ajax won, but I'm not that fussed either way.

So somewhere between Ajax and meh for me then.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I don't actually care - I've never held with the view that "you must support every English club that plays in Europe" as that seems ridiculous to me. I dislike every club that plays against the Albion - some to the extent of sheer loathing - the state of mind that says "although you're free to hate the team on the Saturday you must support them because they're English on Wednesday" seems completely absurd to me. In any case they're not an English team - they merely compete in the English league system. I would like to see the match as Ajax apparently have some very good players - as to who wins . . .

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
United, on the basis of a drunken promise made to a couple of Rotterdam lads after a Hibs v Feyenoord friendly match back in the mid eighties. After quite a few beers in Embra, they promised never to support Hearts and I vowed never to cheer for Ajax.

A promise is a promise, right?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I know a lot of people despise Man Utd.
But when it comes down to any British team in a European final, I'll always hope they'll win.
I cannot understand why people wouldn't, its just madness.
It's also the same for me, if any of the home nation teams, including Eire, are left in the Euros or World Cup.
:thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ajax 2-1 bet

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But when it comes down to any British team in a European final, I'll always hope they'll win.
It's also the same for me, if any of the home nation teams, including Eire, are left in the Euros or World Cup.
:thumbsup:

I'm not sure I really care - I'm tending towards voting 'meh'.

Aside from that, there's not a lot of English/British left to Man Utd really is there? Foreign owners, a foreign manager, largely foreign players and, frankly, largely foreign fans - I imagine more of their 11.2m Twitter followers are outside the UK than within it. They represent our league system I suppose.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm not sure I really care - I'm tending towards voting 'meh'.

Aside from that, there's not a lot of English/British left to Man Utd really is there? Foreign owners, a foreign manager, largely foreign players and, frankly, largely foreign fans - I imagine more of their 11.2m Twitter followers are outside the UK than within it. They represent our league system I suppose.

Totally agree with your views:thumbsup:
But if this was on a generic Spanish footy forum, and Real Madrid or Barcelona were in a European final, I wonder would other Spanish fans support a home team, given that multinational players who play for the latter teams?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Madness would be suddenly liking a club that you despise. I wouldn't support Man United if they were playing a Kim Jong Un Presidents XI.

The ONLY time it's acceptable is if they play a team I hate more than them and the only team that fits that criterea is Palace. It's not mad, it's really simple.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Madness would be suddenly liking a club that you despise. I wouldn't support Man United if they were playing a Kim Jong Un Presidents XI.

The ONLY time it's acceptable is if they play a team I hate more than them and the only team that fits that criterea is Palace. It's not mad, it's really simple.

Now you're getting silly, we all know that Kim Jong Un's team were relegated to the Northern communist league a few years ago:)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Totally agree with your views:thumbsup:
But if this was on a generic Spanish footy forum, and Real Madrid or Barcelona were in a European final, I wonder would other Spanish fans support a home team, given that multinational players who play for the latter teams?

I imagine they adopt an 'ABB and ABR' attitude because they are both monopolising conglomerate shitshows who sell their own broadcasting rights before any reform could possibly take place, and threaten with the courts in the process.

Something I've heard our 'Top 6' are very keen on doing. **** them all really.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not a big fan of United but Mourinho is such an arrogant **** that I love seeing his teams lose and watching him then lose it too. Great value for money. Come on Ajax

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Same. I'd want someone like Everton to win, but not really bothered with Manure.

So... Meh

have you ever been to Goodison?

horrible lot

at least when you go to Old Trafford

you can have a good chat with the man utd fans on the way home :lol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As a young lad I always wanted any English, in fact British, club to triumph in a European match against Johhny Foreigner.

Now - not so much.

Who do you want to win in the Europa League final tonight?
That's because when you were a young lad a match between,say, Liverpool and Bayern Munich was Britain (or at least the British Isles) v Germany. Now all the top clubs are foreign owned with foreign managers and foreign players, and clubs like Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool etc don't represent 'England' in any meaningful sense. You may as well say Coca Cola is 'English' just because it has a bottling plant in Milton Keynes.

I cheered like mad for Celtic, Man U, Liverpool, Forest and Villa in the 60s, 70s and 80s, but I shan't be watching and I don't give a toss who wins. I wish that wasn't the case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here