Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atletico De Madrid friendly at the Amex?

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
Who was the left back for Atlético ?

Sun was causing glare (East Lower) and I'm not sure who it was? I think he was well competent.

cf (Leicester v Atlético) https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-champions-league-quarter-final-match-report

Saúl was injured.

Need to score three. And no side have done that against Atlético in the Champions League since they lost at Olympiakos in September 2014, a run now spanning 33 matches. That was before Real Madrid.

Lucas Hérnandez?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Really encouraged with the display. Team Spirit did look good generally, but it was noticeable that when Ryan let in the goal, nobody went to him to console him. If, sorry, when Stockdale cocked up the team rallied round him. When Ryan walked off at half time Dunk walked off within five yards of him and totally ignored him. Everybody around us mentioned it at half time. I am sure everything ok but just seemed strange.

Really? After the villa 'moment' he laid on the floor and nobody consoled him. Then the whistle went and he laid on the floor for about 5mins more before villa players went and picked him up.

You're reading too much into it, they were probably both pissed off we conceded just before HT, professionals are taught not to play the blame game.

Encouraging display by the way, got alot of positivity back today.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thought we did much better than I expected we would. Some real positives, not least from Gross, Izzy, Ryan (apart from 1 moment), March, and great to see Knocky back. Less good elements: thought Stephens had a couple of iffy moments, Murphy- hmm, Duffy losing Torres for their second - but I was told by Andy Rollings that that was more down down to excellent movement by Torres than a failing on Duffy's part. Other than that Duffy was great, I thought.

Brown was much stronger than I had expected, and I loved that he hacked down their #5, shortly after he had attacked Solly. The ref seemed inclined to book Brown, but changed his mind on seeing who the victim was. Brown also showed 2 or 3 lovely touches.

All in all - really pretty encouraging.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
What a cross from March for Siddy's goal. Absolutely sublime.

I really hope he shines this year.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Just switched on to see the first goal. Lets just hope its not a sign of things to come..

This isn't be being arsey so please don't read it that way, but did you also see any of his excellent reaction saves?

Perhaps I'm being HUGELY rose-tinted but I would much rather have that he displayed some BRILLIANT reflex saves (which are more of a natural talent) and him make a mistake which definitely can be worked upon. That's either concentration or too much time to think about it. I imagine he will be asking for shots from distance now as, like any player, if a weakness has been found he will want to work and work on that until its improved.

Don't get me wrong. It was a REALLY bad error and I'm not trying to gloss over it at all. I just saw a lot in that first half from him to see the positives outweigh that huge slip up.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Game of two halves. First, we looked overawed, few chances, too much respect for the 'gods' of football. Second, woke up, grew a pair and started running at them. Totally changed the dynamic of the game and made them look ordinary for most of the second half. Very encouraging performance.
When we run at teams, a-la Knocky, Brown, March, we pose a far higher threat that forces teams to play further back.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Game of two halves. First, we looked overawed, few chances, too much respect for the 'gods' of football. Second, woke up, grew a pair and started running at them. Totally changed the dynamic of the game and made them look ordinary for most of the second half. Very encouraging performance.
When re-run at teams, a-la Knocky, Brown, March, we pose a far higher threat that forces teams to play further back.

And that's where the mentality this year is going to play such a huge part. Sit back away from home against the big teams we'll be picked off. Go at them like the second half yesterday then we might surprise a few.

Coming away yesterday I said to my 26 year old daughter, "Bet you never expected to see us play a team like Atletico Madrid, and give them a game." I'm pleased to say we did.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
This isn't be being arsey so please don't read it that way, but did you also see any of his excellent reaction saves?

Perhaps I'm being HUGELY rose-tinted but I would much rather have that he displayed some BRILLIANT reflex saves (which are more of a natural talent) and him make a mistake which definitely can be worked upon. That's either concentration or too much time to think about it. I imagine he will be asking for shots from distance now as, like any player, if a weakness has been found he will want to work and work on that until its improved.

Don't get me wrong. It was a REALLY bad error and I'm not trying to gloss over it at all. I just saw a lot in that first half from him to see the positives outweigh that huge slip up.

Didn't see the match so can't really comment on the new guy but Stockdale certainly made his share of errors throughout his time with us and looked pretty shaky in the early days, I thought.

He got much better though and was a definite plus overall. All keepers make errors and they all look terrible as they often result in a goal conceded.

Glad to hear that Knocky and Solly were on song. We'll need them at their best to make a real impression in the Premier League.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Very much agree with assessment. Until the error Ryan had been called upon on several occasions and had done very well. Some good reaction saves, a very decent punch and a nice collection from a cross in to the box. He looks very agile and some of distribution was very good. I hope the mistake does not knock his confidence as apart from that he acquitted himself very well.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
It was also good to hear the harbinger of doom Warren A on Sussex Radio talking about March and Knocky 'opening them up like a tin of John West'.

Bring it on. :albion2:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It was good preparation for the City game. It's all about keeping the shape and being disciplined from the whistle and then growing into the game. Bruno gave the ball away cheaply from a throwing and we didn’t get the ball back for about 5 mins. We lost a goal previously in one of the friendly’s with Bruno giving the ball away cheaply too. I wouldn't swap Bruno would like to see him not give.

Ryan was looking sharp until the mistake. He played a wicked pass out to Bruno at one point so it makes it interesting on how a keeper with great feet plays out.

Sidwell was his usual self when he came on and gave us what we know he can give us. Hemed didn’t have the service but one up front against City will probably be the same. When it counted though Hemed won the free kick that led to the goal.

I think we are in good shape for City if we are disciplined, patient, working as a unit and avoid giving the ball away cheaply. The longer we can keep it a 0-0 the and pace ourselves the better we will grow into the game so it’s all about patience as a player and as a fan. Starting against one of the giants in football is as tough an opening match we could get so it is a mighty challenge.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It was good preparation for the City game. It's all about keeping the shape and being disciplined from the whistle and then growing into the game. Bruno gave the ball away cheaply from a throwing and we didn’t get the ball back for about 5 mins. We lost a goal previously in one of the friendly’s with Bruno giving the ball away cheaply too. I wouldn't swap Bruno would like to see him not give.

Ryan was looking sharp until the mistake. He played a wicked pass out to Bruno at one point so it makes it interesting on how a keeper with great feet plays out.

Sidwell was his usual self when he came on and gave us what we know he can give us. Hemed didn’t have the service but one up front against City will probably be the same. When it counted though Hemed won the free kick that led to the goal.

I think we are in good shape for City if we are disciplined, patient, working as a unit and avoid giving the ball away cheaply. The longer we can keep it a 0-0 the and pace ourselves the better we will grow into the game so it’s all about patience as a player and as a fan. Starting against one of the giants in football is as tough an opening match we could get so it is a mighty challenge.

Edit: Half written sentence " I wouldn't swap Bruno for anyone but would like to see him not give the ball away cheaply".

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Thought it was a solid performance. Very impressed with Ryan.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here