Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defoe 130K a week

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Do you have the same view with regards film stars/actors, musicians/rock stars/etc., F1 drivers etc.?

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
I don't understand the Bournemouth bashing on here.

Defoe proved he's still got it and stood out in a terrible team this season. I'd have liked someone like that here but his size and shoot on sight ability doesn't suit our style. It will suit Bournemouth's game quite well though I think and other than giving them a better chance of avoiding a relegation battle with us I don't understand the issue.

People need to get used to these crazy figures now we are PL. I understand the argument of breaking team wage structures and the effects that can have, but if you don't breach that wall how can a team progress? Especially a team like Bournemouth who did well to finish 9th and who I'd love for Brighton to emulate, especially given our similarities. People who throw around the word "tinpot" need to remember where we've come from and that in the PL, stadium attendances don't mean shit compared to league position and other sources of revenue.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To be honest, I would have loved him at The Amex, but he will be a year older, and it does seem a lot of money. What is to say his legs won't start to go halfway through?

A good singing no doubt, but weren't Bournemouth's issues more defensive or are they about to sign Terry.....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I know the Bmuff fans on here keep saying hes not on over a 100k a week, but every report seems to suggest his on the 120k a week mark and has taken a huge signing on fee.

I think they are just tying to convince themselves that they have not just spent that money.

I have no doubt he will score goals for them though if he remains fit.

Will certainly be in my dream team selections next season.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I know the Bmuff fans on here keep saying hes not on over a 100k a week, but every report seems to suggest his on the 120k a week mark and has taken a huge signing on fee.

I think they are just tying to convince themselves that they have not just spent that money.

I have no doubt he will score goals for them though if he remains fit.

Will certainly be in my dream team selections next season.

I have heard it from non - Bmuff people he is not on that sort of money, Not that it affects me either way.

Even if he is on 120k, for me that is not the issue - its the length of the contract.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have heard it from non - Bmuff people he is not on that sort of money, Not that it affects me either way.

Even if he is on 120k, for me that is not the issue - its the length of the contract.

Absolutely. 100k a week on a 1 year deal with an option of a 2nd if still fit and I can see it making some sort of sense....

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Their net spend was more than us last season. The board even accepted the reason they went down a few years back was due to lack of signings.

For once (very rare), Burnley may have spent more on fees than Bournemouth last season, but the Cherries' wage bill was still TWICE as much as Burnley's - maybe because we only get 20,000 crowds...LOL.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
A team that just finished ninth in the Premier league. FACT

Hardly the width of a cigarette paper could have separated 8th to 17th - six points. With 2 games to go, Burnley could have finished 8th if results had gone their way, but 2 defeats (both first-choice central defenders missing) meant only 16th.....but even Burnley's notoriously parsimonious owners do not seem that bothered about losing out on the extra £15 milliion.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To be honest, I would have loved him at The Amex, but he will be a year older, and it does seem a lot of money. What is to say his legs won't start to go halfway through?

Next season, or last?

15 goals for Sunderland last season, but only three (in 16 games) since January.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
For once (very rare), Burnley may have spent more on fees than Bournemouth last season, but the Cherries' wage bill was still TWICE as much as Burnley's - maybe because we only get 20,000 crowds...LOL.

They CHEATED... you didn't...end of argument.....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We will obviously have to sign at least one striker this summer and to get anybody with a reasonable track record at top division level we'll be looking at £10m to £15m, so when you consider wages too we'll be spending the same.
If we spend £10m to £15m on a striker, I'd hope they're young enough/good enough to get much of that back should we sell them a few years later.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Hardly the width of a cigarette paper could have separated 8th to 17th - six points. With 2 games to go, Burnley could have finished 8th if results had gone their way, but 2 defeats (both first-choice central defenders missing) meant only 16th.....but even Burnley's notoriously parsimonious owners do not seem that bothered about losing out on the extra £15 milliion.

And they've seemingly chosen to blow that extra 15m on Defoe. Granted it seems short sighted to spend it all on one aging player - but It's their prerogative having earned that additional money.

Burnley will still have gained over 100m this season, surely Dyche will be spending some fairly hefty amounts again like last summer? Especially if Heaton and Keane need replacing?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Next season, or last?

15 goals for Sunderland last season, but only three (in 16 games) since January.

Exactly, interesting stat but Sunderland were very poor, hence my hesitance to write him off.

Given the maths and likelihood, I think we made the right move.......... at least I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2017
Bournemouth closing in Begovich.....once Stockdale joins Chelsea it's a done deal....15m!....Ake soon to follow for 30m!!..............:mad:
Are these sort of signings the benchmark for PL survival?.....if so signing players from obscure German teams is like taking a water pistol to a gun fight.....ominous signs imo.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
And they've seemingly chosen to blow that extra 15m on Defoe. Granted it seems short sighted to spend it all on one aging player - but It's their prerogative having earned that additional money.

Burnley will still have gained over 100m this season, surely Dyche will be spending some fairly hefty amounts again like last summer? Especially if Heaton and Keane need replacing?

Keane? Probably yes. Heaton says he is very happy to stay at Burnley so I'd be surprised if he was sold.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

Won't be short-sighted if Defoe's goals helps keep Bournemouth up and £15 million is a fraction of the TV money. Looks like a very good signing to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here