Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking news: Reports of explosion in Manchester

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Apparently there are many people gloating and celebrating this attack on Twitter.
Surely it is time to either close this outlet for pond life and people with nothing else better to do down or severely moderate it.
It has some use I suppose but the bad massively outweighs the good.
I see there were people filming other people panicking to get away on their phones all ready to download.
I find the whole Facebook / Twitter thing bizzare.
After a couple of months you won't miss it.

Agree 100%, I saw one idiot's tweet last night which was (being kind) an attempt at humour, but which was totally inappropriate, Many peope were urging other users to report him to Twitter but whether they do anything about it is another matter (probably not)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The unfortunate fact is there is precious little we can do about these kind of attacks, is there?

Our security services are seemingly able to work small miracles in regularly snuffing out attacks from groups and cells that their intelligence unearths, but lone wolf attacks are all but impossible to know about until it's too late.

We can beef up security on entrance to mass attendance venues, such as we have seen at the Amex, but that merely moves the point where an attack may occur further out.

That this attack happened at the end of the concert just outside the main arena may indicate that this attack was carried out by someone approaching the venue having not gone to the concert itself.

If we can stop bad actors getting into football stadiums, we can do little to stop them targeting crowds as they leave stadiums in city centres or on public transport.

So terribly sad :(

Sadly you are right, I see no answer.
Unlike the IRA, who do you sit down with to try and find a resolution.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The unfortunate fact is there is precious little we can do about these kind of attacks, is there?

Our security services are seemingly able to work small miracles in regularly snuffing out attacks from groups and cells that their intelligence unearths, but lone wolf attacks are all but impossible to know about until it's too late.

We can beef up security on entrance to mass attendance venues, such as we have seen at the Amex, but that merely moves the point where an attack may occur further out.

That this attack happened at the end of the concert just outside the main arena may indicate that this attack was carried out by someone approaching the venue having not gone to the concert itself.

If we can stop bad actors getting into football stadiums, we can do little to stop them targeting crowds as they leave stadiums in city centres or on public transport.

So terribly sad :(

One mother interviewed on tv, said that Ariane came on for one more encore, and ran over time. If she hadn't, there would have been a lot more people in the entrance, leaving the venue, and the carnage could have been far worse (as bad as it is).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Utterly, utterly sickening - suicide bombing is appalling enough, but to target a concert full of children?! Can't even begin to understand the thought process behind that, nor do I want to.

RIP to those killed.

I really don't think children enter the thought process. Just soft target, big city, late night, chance to maximise casualties all likely to feature in the attackers mind set.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Not sure how,as home sec she binned 30k police officers and now the wretched old hag wants to bring back fox hunting to appease the hoorays.
Tally ho.

Not the thread for this type of post, so you've been banned from it.

On topic: RIP to the fatalities, and condolences to the wounded and the families of all those affected. Terrible, shocking atrocity.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not the thread for this type of post, so you've been banned from it.

On topic: RIP to the fatalities, and condolences to the wounded and the families of all those affected. Terrible, shocking atrocity.

Eh?! Bit OTT. Reduction in our police forces has everything to do with? Aren't you being a bit guilty of over reaction? We don't know it's an Islamic attacked yet plenty on here are saying it is. Are you going to ban them too?!

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010

Internment for anyone on a suspected terrorist watchlist (including individuals who are a) suspected of being radicalised and b) suspected of radicalising others).

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Ah yes.........remember all those years ago when radical Muslim clerics were standing on the streets of this proud and tolerant country and spouting their bile and poison at the Western World. At the time, those who supposedly knew better, rallied to their defence, upholding their right to free speech and civil liberty. Police were instructed to stand aside and allow them to preach whatever they liked, whilst arresting those that protested that these views struck at the very heart and fabric of our society.
They brainwashed and converted the immature and the vulnerable to their warped, distorted and sordid ideology, in private and in public, not just in tens, not just in hundreds but in thousands. Steadily it grew but to many it posed no danger. It was such a small minority that it didn't represent a threat. The so called ' politically correct ' continued to leap to their defence. The majority of the ever growing Muslim community remained silent.
The intellectual and learned community, those who studied and understood the intolerance of the Islamic belief, and expressed their concern, were roundly condemned, again and again and again. And now, whenever these terrorist attacks occur ( which they will, with ever increasing frequency ) those that allowed these poisonous seeds to be sown and grow, are the first to go public with their sorrow and condolence.
These incidents sicken, sadden and anger in equal measure. It is always the innocent that suffer. Trying to deal with an ideology that sees no other and regards itself as the last, the final word of God, is an impossibility. It is a one way path to bloodshed. We have years and years of this ahead of us and we must fight it with every sinew we can muster. It threatens our future stability.
We had a chance to drive this underground. That chance was callously chucked aside by those who thought they knew better. Those who infiltrated our education system, our local government and central government system and our media world, brainwashed many with their politically correct ideas.
They have a lot to answer for but will bear no sense of responsiblilty. We are trying to deal with something that is now out of control and can only hope that more are prevented carrying out these acts than actually succeed.
My thoughts, as always, are with those who have suffered.

Well said and totally correct . RIP to all those who lost their lives . Thoughts with their families . Thoughts also to the injured , to the staff and to all who were there and witnessed all of this . To the emergency service personnel who have to deal with these tragedies my complete respect .

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
One mother interviewed on tv, said that Ariane came on for one more encore, and ran over time. If she hadn't, there would have been a lot more people in the entrance, leaving the venue, and the carnage could have been far worse (as bad as it is).

I don't fully agree with that. If the attacker was in the foyer it sounds like he timed it for when the lights went up. Had the lights gone up 5 minutes earlier chances are he or she would've detonated the device then

Yoda

English & European
Apparently there are many people gloating and celebrating this attack on Twitter.
Surely it is time to either close this outlet for pond life and people with nothing else better to do down or severely moderate it.
It has some use I suppose but the bad massively outweighs the good.
I see there were people filming other people panicking to get away on their phones all ready to download.
I find the whole Facebook / Twitter thing bizzare.
After a couple of months you won't miss it.

The sooner Social Media sites start deleting accounts that do this and blocking the ip addresses to stop them re-registering, the better.

Also web hosting sites and providers taking down their sites to stop influential people being converted to their radicalisation ideals, forcing them to the darknet where very few people will see it the better. These companies really need to start taking more responsibility the spread of this.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Eh?! Bit OTT. Reduction in our police forces has everything to do with? Aren't you being a bit guilty of over reaction? We don't know it's an Islamic attacked yet plenty on here are saying it is. Are you going to ban them too?!

The thread ban wasn't for the police officer number comment. It was for the the fox hunting/party political comment, and also in response to the many expressing anger at the post on the thread and in others reporting the post to the mods.

Had the comment just been about police numbers, the poster wouldn't have been banned from the thread.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Terrible unforgivable attack by a coward who wondered in to the exit area once the doors were opened to let people out.
My thoughts are with anyone affected, including my brother who works for Manchester police and is currently in the command centre and he just told me he has to help identify the bodies shortly.

larus

But it's as relevant as me saying that if it hadn't been for Labour ****ing up the country and causing a huge annual deficit, then there wouldn't have been the need for cuts.

The problem is, no matter how many police there are, they can't follow/investigate everybody 'of interest'. These sick *******s only need one success, be that 1 in 10 attempts, 1 in 100, or. In 1000. But when that 1 atrocity occurs, the usual suspects will try to slate a political party for their own pathetic reasons. So yeah, the guy (Baker Lite) was acting like a complete ****. Totally classless and clueless. Look at the reaction from the normal left/right thinking posters.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Not sure I get that. This is being reported as a suspect suicide bomb. I've always assumed that those would be triggered by someone pressing a button (or whatever), rather than setting a timer. I'll admit to not being an expert on these things though.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The sooner Social Media sites start deleting accounts that do this and blocking the ip addresses to stop them re-registering, the better.

Also web hosting sites and providers taking down their sites to stop influential people being converted to their radicalisation ideals, forcing them to the darknet where very few people will see it the better. These companies really need to start taking more responsibility the spread of this.

Seems most news channels will always read out a statement from any extremist group about any atrocity anywhere at anytime, although it can be uneasy to see how people might glorify a heinous action, now's not the time to somehow start censoring words, is it ??

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Let's leave the political point scoring out of this, eh? Kids have died on what should have been the night out of their young lives.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
mu.png

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Terrible unforgivable attack by a coward who wondered in to the exit area once the doors were opened to let people out.
My thoughts are with anyone affected, including my brother who works for Manchester police and is currently in the command centre and he just told me he has to help identify the bodies shortly.

Thats a tough job for your brother and goes to show how the varied ways in which this horrific event touches people ...devastating to so many

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not sure I get that. This is being reported as a suspect suicide bomb. I've always assumed that those would be triggered by someone pressing a button (or whatever), rather than setting a timer. I'll admit to not being an expert on these things though.

The attacker walked into the entrance area and detonated the device, which was less crowded than it might have been is the suggestion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here