Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking news: Reports of explosion in Manchester

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Nothing wrong with them issuing a statement and nothing wrong with wording. They are religious so why can't they pray for the victims. Christians would say the same. The vast majority of religions and those that follow them do so without resorting to violence. It is a very small percentage.

By definition you would be praying to the very force that allowed it to happen or did not bring a ´miracle´to save them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Impossible not to make the personal connections. My own 17 year old niece was at the Ariane Grande concert in Dublin on Saturday night. The kids caught up last night are her Mancunian sisters - all the "have you seen my friend, missing since the explosion", images I saw retweeted this morning, look exactly like her and her friends.

Agreed. My 15 year old step-daughter was due to see Ariane this Friday at the O2 with three friends on their first real trip as teenagers to the big smoke. Tears in the Westdene house this morning for the victims, for the disappointment (after a 200 day count down) and from Mrs W at the realisation it could have been Miss W that was killed.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Agreed. My 15 year old step-daughter was due to see Ariane this Friday at the O2 with three friends on their first real trip as teenagers to the big smoke. Tears in the Westdene house this morning for the victims, for the disappointment (after a 200 day count down) and from Mrs W at the realisation it could have been Miss W that was killed.

Has this attack changed your view on whether she should be allowed to go to concerts?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Has this attack changed your view on whether she should be allowed to go to concerts?

That's a tough question to answer really. Mrs W did ask what she should do if the Friday concert went ahead. I pointed out that if it did then the O2 would probably be the most secure public venue in the country. It's easily secured unike the Manchester Arena and the authorities will throw everything at securing it.

That said, personally I'd carry on as normal but I'm old enough to understand the risks and decide if I wish to put myself at risk. I remember very vividly the IRA threat when travelling to London. A 15 year old none street wise girl doesn't have the 'luxury' of that experience. I compare it to going on holiday to Tunisia ( as an example ) - yes, I'd probably take the risk but there is no way on planet earth I'd place my children at risk so as a family holiday it's a no.

Obviously that doesn't answer your question ..... and that's because, at the moment, I can't.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
When will it end ffs? Targeting Young people at a concert what a piece of shit.

RIP to all those who died (apart from the bomber) and condolences to their families.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Infighting and division amongst us will only serve these murderers.

It's not about UKIP or Hopkins. There are plenty of Guardian, Independent and Newstatesman articles about the aims of these murderers to create a global Caliphate and to murder anyone who isn't like minded. A Guardian article describes life in areas controlled by Islamic fundamentalists of the ISIS brand as being exactly like life under The Third Reich. Imagine that in 2017!

Their murders have stretched from Germany, to Libya, Nigeria, Cameroon, Bangladesh, Indonesia and Sweden. Not exactly the obvious choices for fighting 'Infidels'.

Whether we like or not, it's a war. Impossible to stop every single attack .... anyone can jump in a vehicle and drive it fast at a crowd. Sadly, I can see this being part of our future. It doesn't have a single leadership to negotiate with. Their are hateful :wanker: sitting at home in the UK and elsewhere right now, tapping away on computers loving the idea the image of dismembered British kids and the heartache, planning their own next move.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The sentiment behind the statement is indeed good. My point is, how can you believe in gods plan/fate and then condemn the attack? Logically that makes no sense whatsoever.

Because the zealots have 'misinterpreted' his (messenger's) words, which in this particular piece of backward, violent and intolerant fiction are in actual fact quite literal.

Not sure you can begin to rationalise anything related to religion. The Western world are beginning to move on, unfortunately this lot are couple hundred years behind.

Will continue to happen unless we become something worse than they are. One day the world will be free of it all, but not in our lifetimes.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
GMP issue a statement:
DAfeIfUXgAARJmM.jpg:large

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That's a tough question to answer really. Mrs W did ask what she should do if the Friday concert went ahead. I pointed out that if it did then the O2 would probably be the most secure public venue in the country. It's easily secured unike the Manchester Arena and the authorities will throw everything at securing it.

That said, personally I'd carry on as normal but I'm old enough to understand the risks and decide if I wish to put myself at risk. I remember very vividly the IRA threat when travelling to London. A 15 year old none street wise girl doesn't have the 'luxury' of that experience. I compare it to going on holiday to Tunisia ( as an example ) - yes, I'd probably take the risk but there is no way on planet earth I'd place my children at risk so as a family holiday it's a no.

Obviously that doesn't answer your question ..... and that's because, at the moment, I can't.

I'm with you on this. Last year we booked a February beach holiday to Sharm-El Sheik - it was going to be amazing - learning to Scuba dive and everything. The very next day, literally, that passenger jet was shot down flying into Sharm. I had the same dilemma, but really it wasn't - my kids safety is paramount, so we knew we couldn't go there, despite any assurances. So, we went to Lanzarote, and it rained a lot, and was cold.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
The vast majority of religions and those that follow them do so without resorting to violence. It is a very small percentage.

I struggle with this idea from so many, that violence is only perpetrated by " a very small percentage".

If for example you look at todays story ( on the BBC website)on the caning of the two Indonesian gay young men, you will see pictures of thousands of muslim spectators cheering it on and demanding even harsher physical punishment.

Public beheadings in arab countries are attended by thousands cheering.

Public hangings likewise can attract tens of thousands.

Video of ISIS parading their next victims are also hugely cheered by the masses.

Sharia law is very very popular in most muslim cultures.

Death by stoning is carried out by the public.

No, I,m sorry but I don't agree that it is "only a very small percentage".

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Very, very sad and angering.
I do casual work at the Brighton Centre a few times a month which I am seriously considering jacking in. Brighton being the gay capital of England and centre of hedonism it is only a matter of time before we're hit. What a shitty world.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I struggle with this idea from so many, that violence is only perpetrated by " a very small percentage".

If for example you look at todays story ( on the BBC website)on the caning of the two Indonesian gay young men, you will see pictures of thousands of muslim spectators cheering it on and demanding even harsher physical punishment.

Video of ISIS parading their next victims are also hugely cheered by the masses.

Similar to what happened in the Colosseum in Roman times. It's a long established method of making one sector feel as though they are more important/powerful than another and creating a sense of unity against an enemy.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

Exactly... it is far more than the tiny minority the liberal apologists would have you believe.... even among the communities in this country.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
ISIS have lost almost all of their bloody caliphate. Mosal is days away from complete liberation, with Iraqi forces estimating there are now only a couple hundred of their fighters left alive holed up in their former captial. The organisation is reportedly hemorrhaging millions now that it's lost control of oil installations and many of it's lines of international money transfers have been found and shut down. All this means it's fantasy of controlling an actual functioning state is in utter tatters.

The organisation is close to complete collapse and death.

Unfortunately the ideology doesn't just die, and will probably be taken up by other organisations and flags in the future. How we combat that ideology and particular interpretations of Islam is another matter all together. I feel that only Islam itself can truly resolve it.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Very, very sad and angering.
I do casual work at the Brighton Centre a few times a month which I am seriously considering jacking in. Brighton being the gay capital of England and centre of hedonism it is only a matter of time before we're hit. What a shitty world.

Honestly, every single time Pride rolls around I think something awful could happen. I'm still slightly amazed Brighton hasn't been targeted in some way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here